Compressor for watching DVDs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Moon Unit
gettin' sounds

Post by Moon Unit » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:26 pm

The very best thing I've found for this is an old leveler.

A typical comp used for music isn't necessarily designed for this type of thing ... as it is really meant more for dynamic shaping.

Check out an old Aphex Compellor. That should do the trick.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:29 am

Aphex Compellor
Just did the 'ol googlebay, and those boys aren't cheap! But it sounds like they'd be perfect for the job, too...

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:28 pm

wedge wrote:
The Real MC wrote:I had this problem back in 2004, DVDs were WAY too dynamic and would wake the neighbors upstairs. Plus I really didn't want to blow my speakers or my stereo.

So I bought an Alesis Nanocompressor for $50, patched some adapters, and inserted between DVD player and stereo. The nanocomp isn't something I'd use on pro audio, but it is ideal for DVDs. Cheap too.

Problem solved.

I bought one of those nanocomps for my parents and patched it between the cable box and the TV, now the commercials no longer blast them in the face.
So, did you need to do any line-level matching, or did you simply create adapters and send the signal through straightup?
Nope, no line-level matching problems.

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:52 pm

can't believe I'm the first one to suggest this - how about a compressor designed to work at -10?

I've got a dbx 118 on my DVD player. works like a charm. RCA jacks & everything.

we're getting into the severe nerdsmanship, here, but know what the best movie is for calibrating the settings? The Blues Brothers. a huge dynamic range typical of that era, goes from dialogue to music to car crashes continually. check the switch from near-silence to music when the first song kicks in, while they're standing outside the prison yard at the beginning.

(ilke I said, *severe* nerdsmanship.)
get up with it