Accounting Software

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

acjetnut
pushin' record

Accounting Software

Post by acjetnut » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:41 am

Hey Fellas - todat I went out and bought Quickbooks 2009 for Mac to keep track of my audio/video production business. However, before I installed it I checked it out on the internet and it has seen nothing but terrible reviews. While I can still return it, can anyone recommend a good software package to keep track of small business accounting?

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:09 pm

I have Quickbooks Pro 2007 and I really like it a lot - definitely way better than the previous accounting software I used (Acclaim Cashbook) - and I've never had any problems with it.

fwiw - I've read posts that it doesn't work as well on Mac as it does PC - so maybe the fact that I'm using it on an older Win2k computer is why I don't have problems with it. But if you're on PC then I can definitely recommend it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:34 pm

Intuit has basically shunned the Mac users. Quicken, Quickbooks, they all have gone downhill with their latest versions. Most of the time they don't even follow standardized systems now. I'd say take it back, but I don't know what to recommend otherwise.
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:42 pm

Quicken and Quickbooks for Mac are not very good products compared with the PC versions. Your best bet is probably to go with Parallels or Boot Camp and dual-boot into Windows to run your accounting software. That and scanning checks directly to my bank using IE are the only things I do on the PC side of my Mac.

Sucks, but that's the breaks. I haven't found good Mac accounting software.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:36 am

I like quickbooks for PC. Takes a while to get set up, but its pretty good for keeping on top of who's paid and who hasn't. All the report functions are really cool for budgeting too. It gets me by...
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!