reinvestment

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cjac9
gettin' sounds

reinvestment

Post by cjac9 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:40 am

Hey all studio owners/ producers/ engineers

I'm producing my second record but it's my first gig to get paid for. I'm very financially conscious and I'm wondering how much of the money I make should be reinvested into gear/ tools that make my job easier, more efficient and hopefully make my recordings sound better. Does anyone know of a common percentage that they put aside for this?

Thanks!

cjac9

acjetnut
pushin' record

Post by acjetnut » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:19 am

Are you relying on that money for personal rent, food, insurance, etc? If you meet all those bills already with another job and this is something on top of that, and assuming you have aspirations to move further and further into producing/recording, then I say invest 100% into equipment if you feel that you need new stuff.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 am

re-invest as much as possible, if you like good things to make good sounding recordings with...

otherwise, wine, beer, good food, and cheap women are appropriate ways to blow any income.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:05 pm

You're original post is kind of vague, but have you considered reinvesting in promotion at all? Like making sure that people actually know about and hear your record so that it generates more interest and/or income for future "reinvestments." That's a big step that I see a lot of people leave out. Maybe you've got that covered already. Just checking.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:41 pm

I do rely on other income to pay rent etc. So I'll start considering reinvesting.

The band that I'm producing is very business minded and I expect the record to do well for the level they are at and that people will hear it. I'm going to let them worry with that end of things as I feel it's out of my job description.

Thanks

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:51 pm

Sure thing. I just wasn't sure since you said, "I'm producing my second record." Sounded like you might have been recording yourself.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:53 pm

Well, to take that promotion idea in a different direction, how about investing some of the money that way? You could ask the band if you can use clips of songs as demo or portfolio material, to show off your skills.

Also think about advertising in your local weekly, business cards, and a website. These all cost money, too.