Reaper...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am

Wow, Reaper 3? Didn't realize it was that close...looking forward to it!

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:52 am

I'm mixing an album in Reaper right now. Never liked DAWs very much - necessary evil- but Reaper is really easy to get around in, some of the included plug-ins are very functional, the tempo correction feature saved a take, and...well, I think I'm coming over to the dark side.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:02 am

6 months since my Reaper era began, I have done several projects with it, and haven't pined for more/better features once! Mostly I just ignore it, actually, while it does its job. Kind of like switching to Firefox after years of IE, which so many of us did about six years ago.

Reaper FTW

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:22 pm

As soon as I have all of my AU plug-ins loaded in Reaper I'll know more. Planning on installing it in the G5 tonight and seeing how it works. I'm considering importing a smaller mix from DP, and mixing.

Planning on doing the RPM Challenge in Feb, so I'll use Reaper for this and see how much I like it. I love the fact that it is so intuitive and that everything that I do in DP took me seconds to figure out, MIDI aside, which I have checked out yet.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:10 pm

ysyrtypy wrote:... since my Reaper era began, I have done several projects with it, and haven't pined for more/better features once! Mostly I just ignore it, actually, while it does its job. Kind of like switching to Firefox after years of IE, which so many of us did about six years ago.
Exactly my sentiments too.

Plus, the money you save using Reaper lets you buy other mics or other stuff like food.

Quick anecdote - recently picked up a Echo Layla 24 off the local Craigslist from a cool guy for under $150.

1. Plugged it into my computer.
2. Downloaded and installed drivers.
3. Started up Reaper.
4. Checked - everything detected and working.
5. 10 min later - recording with exactly zero hassles.

Moral: $150 for interface + $50 software = priceless.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:33 pm

roygbiv wrote: Moral: $150 for interface + $50 software = priceless.
Edit: I just noticed that the above doesn't make any sense. Simple math indicates $200, not priceless.

My apologies. Feel free to mock.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:45 pm

no partial credit either cos you didn't show your work.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:22 pm

roygbiv wrote:food.
Stuff's overrated...

joederschlagzeuger
audio school

Post by joederschlagzeuger » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:11 am

Reaper is great. I moved to it after getting fed up with limitations of Pro Tools LE.

I now use a Presonus Firebox and Reaper.

I have worked with Pro Tools LE + TDM, Logic, Cubase. Reaper has alot going for it workflow wise and makes fantastic use of screen real estate. You can have a mixer and arrange page on one screen and not feel like you can't see what's going on.

I record audio and seldom use midi stuff. Recording is easy and intuitive and I am pretty sure this is the most stable DAW I have used. It seems to work well even on older computers.

The fact that the company listens to customer feedback and responds quickly is amazing considering the poor customer support I am used to getting from other companies.

The only minus for me is that you can't edit the waveform directly in Reaper so fixing the inevitable clicks and pops you get here and there is abit of a palaver. Not a massive headache tho.
"I told people I was a drummer before I even had a set, I was a mental drummer. " - Keith Moon

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:29 am

roygbiv wrote:Quick anecdote - recently picked up a Echo Layla 24 off the local Craigslist from a cool guy for under $150.
dammit, i bought mine full price back when it was new! :x

still sounds great and no issues ever!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:51 am

After installing it and playing with it last night on the G5 (main DAW), I came across some issues.

? Waves plug-ins: Do not work, crash Reaper every time.
? Nomad Factory Plug-ins: Some work, some do not work. Unfortunately, upone loosing my Waves IR-1/IR-L, my next go to ReVerb would be the BlueVerb. And it doesn't pass sound
? Stillwell Audio Units: If I want to use the Stillwell plugs with the graphic interface that I use in Digital Performer, they work. Save a project with them in it, re-open the project, they do not pass sound. I have to delete them, reinstate them, and then they pass. But once you close the session and reopen, same problem.

Are the Stillwell plugs that are included with Reaper the real deal? Or are they older versions of the Stillwell stuff? Not sure why the Stillwell AUs that I use in Digital Performer will not work in Reaper.

Any ideas/experience with any of this?

More to come...

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:45 am

ipressrecord wrote:Any ideas/experience with any of this?
i would contact the ppl behind Reaper about all this.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:05 pm

Yeah, Reaper Mac is still in beta, post your problems in Reaper's Mac forum, and they should take care of you.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:12 pm

noooo! I just posted about how Reaper is perfect and then I went to work on a top-secret "shreds" video I'm doing, and learned that the Reaper video sync stuff isn't so good. I am recording in sync with an .avi file and Reaper tries to play it back but all I get is a bunch of flickering still shots. So, I'm off to Ableton Live for this project I guess.

henge
studio intern

Post by henge » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:36 am

Reaper user here as well. Everything I've recorded in the past year was done in Reaper with no problems. For basic midi use it does the trick.
Fantastic forum and programmers.
Anton Evans
Reaper, Intel Core 2 Quad 6600, Soundtoys, BFD2, Pod X3, Fender Vibro Champ, CSR, Smith CR5G, HS80m's, KRK, Stillwell Plugs

http://www.antonevans.com
[url]