Amp Modeling Plug-Ins For Pro Tools LE

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Amp Modeling Plug-Ins For Pro Tools LE

Post by earth tones » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:42 pm

I am wondering what amp modeling software other Pro Tools LE software users are using. Just recently I have been reading about software modeling and listening to albums that claim to have used software for every guitar tone. Many use Line 6's Amp Farm, however that is sadly TDM-only (so I believe). I know PT8 comes with Digidesign's Eleven, but it is a restricted FREE version. What else is out there?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:24 pm

if you want Line6 tones they do now offer POD Farm which is the RTAS equivalent of Amp Farm (sort of). I bought the Gearbox gold bundle for $99 when they had that closeout sale going. Gearbox was then recently replaced with POD Farm but apparently only the names have changed..

the Gearbox bundle came with a "toneport" which for me is nothing but an oversized USB dongle. I have other DI's I much prefer to use.

anyway, it was worth the $99 I paid.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:43 pm

The pod farm is pretty good for the money. I really like guitar rig, I think it sounds really great. I also think these are a pretty cood counterpoint to each other; I like the vox sounds from guitar rig and the fender sounds from Pod Farm.

I always found that using at least one real guitar track with the simulated tracks makes ALL the tracks sound a bit more real.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Amp Modeling Plug-Ins For Pro Tools LE

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:22 am

earth tones wrote:I am wondering what amp modeling software other Pro Tools LE software users are using. Just recently I have been reading about software modeling and listening to albums that claim to have used software for every guitar tone. Many use Line 6's Amp Farm, however that is sadly TDM-only (so I believe). I know PT8 comes with Digidesign's Eleven, but it is a restricted FREE version. What else is out there?
You can update Eleven to the Le version.

I happen to like it.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:22 pm

Noeqplease, are you currently using the full version of Eleven? If so, have you also used Amp Farm? I guess I will get to check out Eleven to some extent, when I get PT 8 up and running.

I just realized that my purchase of NI Komplete included Guitar Rig. I simply forgot about this program. Might as well squeeze the life out of that first, before moving on to another purchase.

protoolsman
ass engineer

Post by protoolsman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Guitar rig is amongst the best emulation programs around. I sort of dislike IK multimedia's Amplitube and I can't get a decent sound out of waves guitar. But PodFarm is very good and so is Eleven. Eleven is better with clean sounds than the other 2. Kind of Loud also makes an emulation but I never used it. Also: with PT8 comes Sansamp for free, which is not the same but it sounds cool!!
Als Softube makes amproom. It is much simpler than the other ones but it has a nice tone. But I am only using this a few days so I can't say to much about it yet.
one can never have to many microphones

east3rdst
gettin' sounds

Post by east3rdst » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:21 pm

For the life of me I can't get a good tone out any of the available amp modeler's. I only own the Hardware POD pro, but I've used all the mentioned ones. Is there a trick, secret di box? I can get useful lead tones but nothing like a good solid "album defining" rhythm track

what are some of the records claiming to use all modeled guitar sounds, I'd like to hear what i'm doing wrong?

That being said, the bomb factory sans amp is free and pretty useful in augmenting tone. A life saver on lifeless bass tracks. So I would start there
Donny Cooper

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:12 pm

Yeah, that's a tough question to answer. First off, you aren't getting a "good tone". Well, what does that mean to you...or me...or a Japanese noise band? Second off, what kind of guitar are you using, what pickup, what DI, what kind of song or mix are you working with already, how well are you playing the part you want to record, and on and on. Too many variables...that's why KNOWING what YOU think you want is most important. As long as that's concrete, then experiment away. On the other hand..time permitting, there's something to be said for just going at it from scratch and seeing where you end up. Amp modeling software may not be your ticket. I would imagine that most people, whom ultimately use in-the-box amp modeling are relying on some other tools (most certainly EQ) before that perfect tone has arisen.

Last night I was actually listening to an older Cardigans album...Gran Turismo. I found a website where guitarist Peter Svensson had provided short, song by song statements on the guitar recordings. Much of the tone was created using Amp Farm, but the signal was often pretreated by a Joemeek VC1 compressor, a Boss FZ-3 fuzz pedal, and a Neve EQ module. If you listen to some of the tones in the those songs, they aren't standard tones. When heard solo, I would wager that various people's opinions would vary in rating them from "horrible" to "intriguing" or "interesting". Just like anything else, I guess it starts with writing the write part, executing the playing and then experimenting over and over again until THE sound you were looking for is attained OR a pleasant surprise arrives.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:54 am

Yeah you have to treat it like what it is, an amp simulation and still massage the sound a bit. There was a post somewhere where someone talks about rolling off the high end on amp simulated tracks and that really making the Pod or Guitar Rig sound mch more real? I haven't tried that yet but to my earlier point, when I mix it in with a real guitar tracks it becomes much more seamless sounding.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:53 am

earth tones wrote:Noeqplease, are you currently using the full version of Eleven? If so, have you also used Amp Farm? I guess I will get to check out Eleven to some extent, when I get PT 8 up and running.

I just realized that my purchase of NI Komplete included Guitar Rig. I simply forgot about this program. Might as well squeeze the life out of that first, before moving on to another purchase.
Hi earth tones.

I used to use Amp Farm... but mostly not on actual guitars. :D

I like eleven full version though, it does give more of an amp feeling to a DI'd guitar.

If I know I'll be using Eleven, I get a DI recorded guitar as well as the amplified version, so I can use Eleven more effectively.

I heard good things about Guitar Rig, but have not used it.

Cheers

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:56 am

east3rdst wrote:For the life of me I can't get a good tone out any of the available amp modeler's. I only own the Hardware POD pro, but I've used all the mentioned ones. Is there a trick, secret di box? I can get useful lead tones but nothing like a good solid "album defining" rhythm track

what are some of the records claiming to use all modeled guitar sounds, I'd like to hear what i'm doing wrong?

That being said, the bomb factory sans amp is free and pretty useful in augmenting tone. A life saver on lifeless bass tracks. So I would start there
Try this :

1.- Record the guitar with a clean DI.

2.- playback the simulated amp through a speaker, and mic this with two or three mics, to get the sound of air moving by the speaker. this usualy alleviates the dead-sounding amp simulators.

3.- Filter out starting at about 5-8 kHz, depending on the amp you are trying to simulate. You should research on the 'net what freq response classic amps have. They all do not have the same, but usually cut off around 5k and up.

Cheers