The Creative Commons future

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:18 pm

ubertar wrote:Personally, I think sampling is lame. As someone who makes new instruments to get unique sounds, plays them and records them, with all the work it takes to do and learn how to do those things, I can't help but resent people who sample other people's recorded work, fuck around with it in pro tools or whatever, then say, "I made this". I recognize there is creativity involved in using samples well, but my respect for it can only go so far. Now, if people created their own samples from their own work, and used those the same way, I'd have a lot more respect for that. But the average listener isn't going to know (or care about) the difference. Most people don't really care about music; it's just entertainment for them.
What about pluderphonics? Or what about someone like Carl Stalling who quoted peoples music all the time? Charles Ives? What about Luc Ferrari doing musique concrete with Stravinsky and Beethovens music? It's weird to me that in classical its ok to quote others music but in pop music it is bad. How do you know the "original" artist did not derive anything from any other source?

Yeah someone like P Diddy sampling the Police and rapping over top isn't very creative or cool, but listen to DAB by John Oswald (which a good majority was used by splicing tape) and try to tell me your not impressed.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:29 pm

InvalidInk wrote:
ubertar wrote:Personally, I think sampling is lame. As someone who makes new instruments to get unique sounds, plays them and records them, with all the work it takes to do and learn how to do those things, I can't help but resent people who sample other people's recorded work, fuck around with it in pro tools or whatever, then say, "I made this". I recognize there is creativity involved in using samples well, but my respect for it can only go so far. Now, if people created their own samples from their own work, and used those the same way, I'd have a lot more respect for that. But the average listener isn't going to know (or care about) the difference. Most people don't really care about music; it's just entertainment for them.
What about pluderphonics? Or what about someone like Carl Stalling who quoted peoples music all the time? Charles Ives? What about Luc Ferrari doing musique concrete with Stravinsky and Beethovens music? It's weird to me that in classical its ok to quote others music but in pop music it is bad. How do you know the "original" artist did not derive anything from any other source?

Yeah someone like P Diddy sampling the Police and rapping over top isn't very creative or cool, but listen to DAB by John Oswald (which a good majority was used by splicing tape) and try to tell me your not impressed.
Sampling a recording and quoting a piece are somewhat related, but they're two different things. I'm not a fan of Ives anyway, to be honest. I haven't heard of Ferrari. Most musique concrete I've heard doesn't interest me much.
I've heard of Plunderphonics, but I'm not sure that I've actually heard their stuff. I haven't heard DAB, so I can't comment on that.

I never said it was an unforgivable sin to do anything that's in any way derivative of anything else... even when the first music was ever made by people in caves, they were probably imitating tree frogs or birds or something. What I said is I think sampling is lame, and I stand by that.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:19 am

Check out the Sursiks remix of the Lessig blather:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=17933

F---in hilarious!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:27 pm

Pretty nice.

goose
ass engineer

Post by goose » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:49 am

Oh that's funny...and even funnier is that I never expected to see the Sursiks mentioned here. Dave and Gary of the Sursiks are old friends of mine.

teleharmonium
pushin' record

Post by teleharmonium » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:40 pm

InvalidInk wrote:

We can distinguish between criticism of appropriation (as distinct from collaboration, which implies consent on the part of the appropriated) on an ethical basis, vs. criticism of it in terms of creative results. I am aware that it is possible to do highly creative work with methods that I personally would never use for ethical reasons; so what ? I do not accept this or any other end justifying the means argument. It's not necessary for me to dislike (or even address) Oswalds or Ferraris results in order to differ with their methods and reasoning as they would hypothetically apply to me. Whatever is "ok" in classical is just somebody else's opinion that may have worked for them at the time.

There are many traditions and precedents in this world, they tend to have their negative sides as well as their positives, but I don't feel particularly constrained or justified by any of them. It's just stuff. We all make our decisions for our own reasons; pointing to other people's reasoning as justification for our own decisions, seems like little more than a cop out to me, regardless of the esteem in which you hold that person.

In my view, any appropriation of any recorded sound without specific permission from the person that created it, is fundamentally wrong, disrespectful, and counterproductive toward my goals. You have to understand that there is a relationship between the cavalier attitude that musicians often have about making recordings, and the cavalier attitude that much of the audience has about whether they should bother to pay for recordings, or have any other kind of respect for musicians in any meaningful way.

We're going to continue to be broke, walking cliches that are expected to compete to entertain on a high level for peanuts, yet not be good enough to take seriously as members of the community, until some time after we start treating each other with respect. Vast amounts of money are made off of music, but we live under a system by which most of us are not getting any sort of fair compensation relative to the money actually made from our music; my suggestion is for everyone to take responsibility for their own role in the way music and other IP is treated by society, unless you think it's OK that artists who make IP are second class citizens compared to everybody else, who don't get their work automatically converted into community property on a fixed schedule when the (already unenforced) copyright expires.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:52 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/20/opini ... lprin.html

In which an accomplished novelist takes the position that a work of IP should forever enjoy the private-property legal status of, say, a family-owned tract of land. Beware: He comes across as even more pompous than the originator of this thread, but just like said TOMB poster actually makes some slammin' good points if you can check your ego at the door and follow his reasoning.

Discuss.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:01 am

Lessig got a Warner Bros. takedown notice! The armageddon begins! http://techdirt.com/articles/20090428/1738424686.shtml

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:36 pm

Did you watch the actual presentation that was the subject of the takedown notice? I thought it was really good. It illustrated to me how Lessig is pretty misrepresented in terms of what he's espousing.

http://blip.tv/file/1937322

He uses the Sousa quotes again, and what's interesting to me is that he and Sousa are both saying the same thing: we need to have an amateur culture. But I wonder if their motivations were/are different. Sousa needed people to buy sheet music and perform his music as written, thus making them mere vessels for his (copyrighted) creativity; with his "Remix spiel" Lessig celebrates the amateur who uses scraps of previously existing (copyrighted) works to produce a new work with a profoundly different character than the source works.

Revisiting the original subject of this thread, (something that hasn't been addressed since about Page 1), I would like to point out that Creative Commons doesn't seek or imply the end of the copyright system. From their website:
Some Rights Reserved

Creative Commons defines the spectrum of possibilities between full copyright and the public domain. From all rights reserved to no rights reserved. Our licenses help you keep your copyright while allowing certain uses of your work ? a ?some rights reserved? copyright.

CC Licenses work alongside copyright

Creative Commons licenses are not an alternative to copyright. They work alongside copyright, so you can modify your copyright terms to best suit your needs. We?ve collaborated with intellectual property experts all around the world to ensure that our licenses work globally.
I would offer the not-perfect analogy of a pan knob as opposed to LCR mixing. Rather than a binary yes/no choice, with Creative Commons the owner of the work can pick and choose to what degree the work man be used by others. I see no problem with this, as it's a voluntary system.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri May 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote:He uses the Sousa quotes again, and what's interesting to me is that he and Sousa are both saying the same thing: we need to have an amateur culture. But I wonder if their motivations were/are different. Sousa needed people to buy sheet music and perform his music as written, thus making them mere vessels for his (copyrighted) creativity; with his "Remix spiel" Lessig celebrates the amateur who uses scraps of previously existing (copyrighted) works to produce a new work with a profoundly different character than the source works.
They are saying very different things- although he simplistically uses the Sousa example to poorly illustrate his point.

The era's are completely different. Nearly everything has changed if one were to compare the difference between the two industries.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri May 01, 2009 5:25 pm

Maybe I should start a new thread about this, but I'll post this here (for now, unless people would rather I move it elsewhere) b/c we've been talking about sampling... I've been contacted by a company that creates sound banks for use with Ableton Live. They want to do a sound library of my instruments (I invent and build instruments). Given how I feel about sampling (as I said upthread, I think it's lame) I'm not really gung-ho about the idea. But it might be a good opportunity in some ways, and what harm could it do? I don't know what their offer is yet, but I'm already torn about the idea.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri May 01, 2009 7:26 pm

ubertar wrote:Maybe I should start a new thread about this, but I'll post this here (for now, unless people would rather I move it elsewhere) b/c we've been talking about sampling... I've been contacted by a company that creates sound banks for use with Ableton Live. They want to do a sound library of my instruments (I invent and build instruments). Given how I feel about sampling (as I said upthread, I think it's lame) I'm not really gung-ho about the idea. But it might be a good opportunity in some ways, and what harm could it do? I don't know what their offer is yet, but I'm already torn about the idea.
aww ...

that's really cool. You should do it. Get the stuff out there and who knows what cool use somebody will find for it?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 pm

ubertar wrote:Maybe I should start a new thread about this, but I'll post this here (for now, unless people would rather I move it elsewhere) b/c we've been talking about sampling... I've been contacted by a company that creates sound banks for use with Ableton Live. They want to do a sound library of my instruments (I invent and build instruments). Given how I feel about sampling (as I said upthread, I think it's lame) I'm not really gung-ho about the idea. But it might be a good opportunity in some ways, and what harm could it do? I don't know what their offer is yet, but I'm already torn about the idea.
And then you'll be the new 'Bomb Factory'...what happened them? All those keyboards and that great, innovative idea...if you do a deal with that company, make sure your backside is hefty. All the great record producers had points...also, maybe do a search of the packages that are available for Ableton. I'm just easing in to Reason and there are tons of sounds available.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri May 01, 2009 8:41 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:
And then you'll be the new 'Bomb Factory'...what happened them? All those keyboards and that great, innovative idea...if you do a deal with that company, make sure your backside is hefty. All the great record producers had points...also, maybe do a search of the packages that are available for Ableton. I'm just easing in to Reason and there are tons of sounds available.
What does the size of my ass have to do with it? *checks mirror*

But(t) seriously, I don't see the parallel. Bomb Factory made plugins... digital versions of analog equipment. I make electroacoustic musical instruments, not software. The company that contacted me wants to make a sound library of samples of my instruments. The upside of it is-- money, recognition, publicity. The downside is I put a lot of work into creating unique sounds and now (if I do this) anyone with a few bucks can have the same sounds. Occasionally I get hired to do film scores, and a big part of the appeal is that I have unique sounds. There's definitely a difference between the real thing and a collection of samples, but still...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri May 01, 2009 11:21 pm

ubertar wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:
What does the size of my ass have to do with it? *checks mirror*

But(t) seriously, I don't see the parallel. Bomb Factory made plugins... digital versions of analog equipment. I make electroacoustic musical instruments, not software. The company that contacted me wants to make a sound library of samples of my instruments. The upside of it is-- money, recognition, publicity. The downside is I put a lot of work into creating unique sounds and now (if I do this) anyone with a few bucks can have the same sounds. Occasionally I get hired to do film scores, and a big part of the appeal is that I have unique sounds. There's definitely a difference between the real thing and a collection of samples, but still...

You don't have to give them all your cool unique sounds.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/