BASS GETTING LOST IN MIX

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sonicdeath
ass engineer

Post by sonicdeath » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:06 pm

Fat chance on getting away from the 4311's There's a hot water heater behind me. Ive been mixing trying to pop out that bass, But the mix is starting to just sound like shit....

I need to take a step back on this one.
Since Im friends with the band, I may have the bass player come in and re-record his bass track. Its a little sloppy anyhow. Maybe then I can get closer to what I need in the mix upon recording.

The more complicated I get when mixing the worst it often sounds. I rack it up to inexperience. The only good thing I get out of that is, it has forced me to learn how to mic things up and to transfer them to tape (or DAW) as natural as possible.

SO it may be monday till my next post. Thanks again for the replies.

CultureSonic
audio school

Re: BASS GETTING LOST IN MIX

Post by CultureSonic » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:50 pm

I agree with what a few have said before. It might seem counterintuitive, but high pass that bad boy and TURN IT UP!
Brandon Inda

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:35 pm

For picked bass, I have found that 1.2 - 15k is my favorite frequency range to get some of that aggressive pick bite out of the bass, without getting to much clackiness or finger noise. Tread lightly, because that's where a lot of your vocal information is too. As with all things, YMMV.

[<|>]