Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mcsquishytooshy
gettin' sounds

Post by mcsquishytooshy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:26 am

Cool Edit Pro!

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:44 am

Cakewalk, but the hell if I know what version it was (10 or 11 years ago at this point). I bet I could still remember what the box looked like. My dad, who I swear is psychic with gear purchases sometimes, bought it for no reason 3 years before. Used an Audigy with a breakout box that had a mic pre with a 1/4" input. I think I had a 1/4" to XLR cable that we hooked a 57 up to.

Even at a young age, I discovered I hated Cakewalk. I had been big into software piracy since I was about 13 so I think I swapped up to Nuendo pretty quick. Ah the good ol' days when all my software was free!

Rabbit
ass engineer

Post by Rabbit » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:37 pm

Cool Edit pro with a Lexicon core 2, good times when the Lexicon worked, it used to crash my machine regularly. I bought it and within a couple of months it was a dead product and they were giving them away. I still have it in storage somewhere.

DJ_LBP
takin' a dinner break

Post by DJ_LBP » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:46 pm

I know it was a hardware something, probably a Boss (early BR-something) or Fostex 8 track. All I cared about then was built-in delay effects. I went through a few different machines like that through the last several years before settling down recently with Logic. I feel like I finally made it home.
Why not?

-Hunter S. Thompson

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:15 pm

I had to actually do research to find the name of this device: Fostex D2424. It was intended (by me) as a gap between going from tape to Pro Tools. This was pre PT LE! The thing was such a pain to learn that I wouldn't touch it, but my intern did some stuff with it. We thought it was pretty amazing to spend that much on something that was 10x worse sounding than tape AND hard to use. The we got a Digi 001 and it sat in a box for almost a year. When people would ask if we had Pro Tools, I'd say, "Sure. It's in that box out front."

Now I think most of our sessions are PT HD. Things change. It sure is nice to fire up the tape decks for some sessions though...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

grockvt
takin' a dinner break

Post by grockvt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:18 pm

OSC Deck / Cakewalk Metro with a Mac Quadra AV computer...1994?
end

allyouneedisears
gettin' sounds

Post by allyouneedisears » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:51 pm

Must have been Cool Edit Pro on my old PC.

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:56 pm

Started on a Fostex D-80, an 8 track hard disk recorder. Recorded a couple projects on it through my Mackie 1604VLZ. Then I got a Tascam 788, their first 24 bit portastudio. Switched to Cubase LE when I got a Firebox. Now I use Reaper and Logic Express with either a FireStudio or my Apogee Duet.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:58 pm

Roland VS-880 I borrowed from a friend who bought it to record one album then lost all interest in the recording process after finishing said album. Definitely had it's limitations, but I made a bunch of fun recordings on it in my bedroom, certainly the type of thing that, amazingly enough, inspired me to turn it on and just start doing.

First desktop computer based DAW was DP3 running on os9.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Digidesign's Session8, somewhere around 1995/1996. I had just gotten done editing an ice skater's dance routine on 1/4, rolling tape back and forth, trying to figure out where exactly the cello started.

S8, btw, was still a better audio editor than Logic, which what I use now. Wish they made Vegas for Mac....

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Power Tracks Pro Audio around '95, which i later augmented with Cool Edit 96 for off-line destructive edits.

ran on a 486DX33 with 8MB and a (back then) hideously expensive 420MB hard drive and an ISA Sound Blaster 16 card.

...but i mostly used borrowed 4-track and 8-track machines at the time cos the computer took forever and my Porta Two had taken the dirt nap by '94.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:49 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:I had to actually do research to find the name of this device: Fostex D2424.
I've got one of those now. I don't consider it a DAW, though. Doesn't have much Workstation to it. I guess it's got some editing capabilities, but I consider it a digital capture device, without all the tapes laying around. I've never had any reason to complain about the sound, but I haven't got a lot to compare it to.

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:28 pm

started out on a yamaha md-4 and then to md-8 for minidisc. went pc based on powertracks pro audio by pgmusic. tried pro tools free and cubase sx back in the day, but settles down with sonar back in the 2.0 days. have stuck by sonar almost religiously...for better or worse.

rich

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:59 am

Lemme see, my wife split in '99 and so the next day I went and bought a Boss BR8, what recorded to a Zip disc. :twisted:

Used that for a year until I realized that the Cool Edit program my buddy had bought in like '95 was better to edit stuff.

Paid for the upgrades and various soundcards (OEM then alll M-Audio) and today I still use CEP2.1, and a Delta 44, augmented with a Zoom H2 to capture my drummer. (Recordings linked below.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:40 am

Echo Layla 24 going into Vegas Video.