Presonus enters the DAW market

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:15 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote:Probably more to do with not wanting to pay licensing fees until the end of time. At some point it has to be more cost effective to develop your own software.
Especially if you're looking to sell a whole lot of $100-200 interfaces to bedroom recordists. Then it doesn't matter if your DAW isn't the best and greatest, it just has to work well with your hardware. And there's probably a benefit to locking people into your session file formats when they start looking to upgrade.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:12 am

that's a whole lot of features in a v1 - particularly for a hardware company. I wonder if this is based off of something else from open source world like Ardour.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:51 am

b3groover wrote:It seems to be the way the wind is blowing, regarding the integration of hardware and software. I'm not sure why companies are doing this. As subatomic pieces mentioned, a lot of PT users that don't have the big HD system complain about being tied down.

But Steinberg /Yamaha is doing it now with the MR-816 interfaces. Sonar / Cakewalk / Roland has the new V-Studio. Logic of course has the Apogee stuff. MOTU and DP. Thankfully you can still use the software or hardware with any other hardware or software. :)
that is an interesting point. i have been looking for something that has seamless integration of late, but mostly from the perspective of software control not converters. For PTLE I can tell you that their "seamless" integration means linking with inferior hardware. For PTHD, I guess you can say the same thing in terms of converters, but you can use other converters though there is still extra hardware expense.

Mostly I don't want to touch a mouse again. I want to be able to navigate through SW with a controller, and be able to control plug-ins and soft synths too. Every knob or button you need to click on should be able to be controlled without a mouse. And controlling with a keyboard or footswitch would be great. Oh, and a hardware plug-in player that you can take with you on stage or to a studio without a computer.

I am just tired of glitches and features on things that i never can use bc they don't play nice.

OK -- so maybe not what presonus has in mind, but that's the way i see the whole integration thing.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:41 am

the baton rouge office is located about 45 minutes driving time from my house. ive been there several times, and i know that they spend alot of time helping folks trying to get there interfaces working with other daws. perhaps there new daw will help keep the tech man hours down? or perhaps they've just created a tech dept. nightmare. i guess time will be the tale. i know one thing, they have been very helpful when i needed them.

dawhead
audio school

Post by dawhead » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:49 pm

syrupcore wrote:that's a whole lot of features in a v1 - particularly for a hardware company. I wonder if this is based off of something else from open source world like Ardour.
I can assure you that its not based on Ardour. The guys who wrote it are a small team who have been core developers on several other DAWs. Believe me, if you gave me a chance to write Ardour over again, I could do it faster and better than I did the first time; one of the main developers of Presonus' offering has done this twice (at least). So its not really that suprising.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:48 pm

dawhead wrote:
syrupcore wrote:that's a whole lot of features in a v1 - particularly for a hardware company. I wonder if this is based off of something else from open source world like Ardour.
I can assure you that its not based on Ardour. The guys who wrote it are a small team who have been core developers on several other DAWs. Believe me, if you gave me a chance to write Ardour over again, I could do it faster and better than I did the first time; one of the main developers of Presonus' offering has done this twice (at least). So its not really that suprising.
that's interesting. After 7 years of using Pro Tools as my main DAW, a fresh codebase is tempting - certain things are just never going to happen with digi's current code base. Do you know if it was born in house? If it was born in house I'm impressed the company was able to hold off on release until it was that feature rich.

Thank you for Ardour!