Cascade Fathead iis as drum overheads

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

brettcallaway
audio school

Post by brettcallaway » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:23 am

Thanks everyone for the replies. Great stuff. Really appreciate all the comments! (And Cromag jokes)

Sorry for the off-topic tangent. Maybe I should make a separate post for this..
That was actually a good point Msweber. I had a hard time arranging them in an XY with a stereo bar. I think it might only be possible with two stands, but I'm not sure exactly how different the results would be.

I did manage to sneak in to do some samples last night with the drum kit we'll be using. Didn't have time to bounce them down. There are still a few more configurations I'd like to try. I did, however, do an overhead Blumlein array and it is probably my favorite of what I've tried so far. I didn't change the relative height to the kit too much between different configurations, or tried not to. The Blumlein sounded the loudest and tightest in terms of the stereo image. The RMS was pretty consistent between the Blumlein and a spaced pair. XY was a hair lower. Overall the Blumlein was a really nice sound for a big drum sound. Probably will need to change it up some depending on what the songs require.

Overall though I loved the sound of the Fatheads. Not as dark as I was expecting. Love how they tone down the cymbals a bit. Can't wait to really dig in to them a bit more.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:49 am

I only use two stands because I don't have a stand heavy enough to support the Blumlein bar in the position I need it. So if you got that worked out I wouldn't even bother with trying to do it the way I mentioned.

Sounds like you're getting some good info, good luck with your project.

Feedback
ass engineer

Post by Feedback » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:33 am

You can go here to see some FHII's in blumlein in front of the kit. You will have to log in to myspace to see the pics. We used them as room mics with Shure KSM27 as spaced pairs for OH's. They were awesome as room mics and I wouldn't hesitate to use them as OH's.

www.myspace.com/bobcharlesband

Unfortunately, no audio files as of yet since we are still working the project that these pics are attached with.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:49 am

Just to clear something up. Both XY and Blumlein are coninceient pairs with the capsules at 90 degrees. XY is when the mics are cardioid and Blumlein is when the mics are bidirectional (figure 8). The comparing pictures posted earlier have much more to do with microphone body shape than technique.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:15 am

Thanks for the clarification. I was always using Blumlein with my Fathead IIs, just not in the configuration with the bar they provide. Kind of a big "duh" moment when I take the mic body out of the equation.

So, I amend my comment.

Ahem...

Blumlein technique works well for OH with the Fathead IIs.

:roll:

logey
gettin' sounds

Post by logey » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:44 pm

drumsound wrote:Just to clear something up. Both XY and Blumlein are coninceient pairs with the capsules at 90 degrees.
Dont mean to be a nit picker, but as long as we are clearing up confusion...I think Tony meant to say "coincident pairs". That is unless this is a new technique that I haven't heard of. :wink:

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Sat May 09, 2009 3:32 pm

just tried out a fathead with the inner mesh removed and as a single mono OH through my SW 1280b and WOW!!! amazing sensitivity on this mic. made the harshness on the sabian xs20 cymbals i have on this particular kit sound fantastic. i have found my jazz mic'ing rig: fathead on OH, sm57/i5 on SNR, beta 52 on kick and subkick. the fathead picks up so much of the kit it's unbelievable. i just had it facing out to where the figure 8 was left and right. sounded gorgeous. even got the toms!!! plus the 1280b's pres had more rhan enough gain to hear the ribbon! it's funny, i typically use condensers for OH, but since i wanted a quick setup and the 1280b doesn't have phantom power, the fathead was a good second choice! amazing results!
anyone with a ribbon NEEDS to throw it/them up for OH, just to see if they may be right for the track. solid performers, i am glad that i have a viable option in lieu of my normal condenser choices.

rich