Using a compressor on entire mix before sending to ME

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

east3rdst
gettin' sounds

Re:

Post by east3rdst » Mon May 04, 2009 11:38 pm

I think this is confusing the question, and don't get me wrong this is a good read, but it's related to record levels, not the mix buss after everything is recorded.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but do ME really care at what level a track is peaking at (provided its not clipping), can't they just pull down the master fader?

What mastering engineers are most frustrated by (ME step in anytime and correct me) is getting mixes squashed with no dynamic range left to work with... which is what your tampering with when you insert a comp on the mix buss (not that you shouldn't if you like the way it sounds). You could send a ME a mix that is peaking at only -6 (or whatever the magic mix buss number is) but squashed with an L2 or Maxim leaving the ME nothing to work with... They can turn it up or down, but that won't affect the dynamic range you've given them.

Second thing... When skimming over these posts i'm worried that you're headed down the slippery slop of "message boarding" (over thinking) your mixes. I listened to it and it sounded pretty cool. All this talk about adjusting Trim plug-ins, etc is going to send you way off target, measuring all your tracks and wasting hours.

Take a break from your mixes... coming back to them... cover your computer screen (really, this makes a huge difference)... listen to them, if they sound good send 'em off.
Donny Cooper

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re:

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue May 05, 2009 7:18 am

east3rdst wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong, but do ME really care at what level a track is peaking at (provided its not clipping), can't they just pull down the master fader?
yeah so long as it's not clipping we're good. it's still good practice to mix leaving 3-6db of headroom though.

stuff that comes in to mastering already smashed is the real problem, like you say. basically it makes all that fancy esoteric big dollar mastering gear useless, because smashed tracks tend to just fall apart the minute you try and do anything with them.

mrautorock
audio school graduate

Post by mrautorock » Tue May 05, 2009 8:01 am

OK, maybe I am overthinking. I'll have to keep the master fader down so the tracks are peaking at around -4 to -6db for now.
Then from now on I'll consider recording my signals not so hot (maybe I can get a hold of a VU meter to throw in my input chain before my converters, in regard to the other thread) and making sure they dont clip their channel strip, even if the mix buss does not appear to be overloaded. Either that or just watch for around -18 average level, -12 or so peaks for strong transient instruments.

I learned a boatload from this one thread...you are all lifesavers

thanks again,
Vic

Wainwright
gettin' sounds

Post by Wainwright » Tue May 05, 2009 9:15 am

If it sounds right it is right, that is all. Don't let second guessing get in the way of your ears.
((( Sucking in Stereo )))

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

it

Post by C_R_J » Tue May 05, 2009 12:36 pm

it is a great thread, but i probably should have mentioned that it is a good idea to use the info at it from start to finish. if you have already gotten the mix to where you like it, i would stick with it, and maybe use your new found info for your next recording project.
time is money and im wasting both...