Knowing where to put screws into a resilient channel

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Knowing where to put screws into a resilient channel

Post by losthighway » Thu May 07, 2009 11:21 am

A resilient channel is going to be about step three of a project I'm just now starting. Having never done this I gotta ask:

How do you know where to put the screws?

It appears screw placement is very specific and important with these resilient channel hunks of metal. I can't for the life of me imagine knowing where to put the screw through when there is a 4x8' chunk of drywall between my eyes and the channel.

How is this normally dealt with?

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Thu May 07, 2009 2:15 pm

I make pencil marks on the edge of any drywall that's already up, or the floor to show the center of each channel. Get the new panel in place with a few screws on the edge. Snap chalk lines on the panel to show where the channel is. Definitely get a lift for the ceiling. Man I hate hanging drywall.

knapus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by knapus » Thu May 07, 2009 3:26 pm

and don't forget to mark the studs in order to avoid hitting them with your drywall screws.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri May 08, 2009 7:18 am

stuntbutt wrote:I make pencil marks on the edge of any drywall that's already up, or the floor to show the center of each channel. Get the new panel in place with a few screws on the edge. Snap chalk lines on the panel to show where the channel is. Definitely get a lift for the ceiling. Man I hate hanging drywall.
My roommate and I just started putting drywall between the joists. It was the first time either of us used a drywall lift..... we kind of fell in love with it. Anything that is that helpful, practical and impressive looking- *man I love drywall lifts :oops:

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Fri May 15, 2009 10:20 am

Yep. It's all about planning ahead. Make marks to indicate where the studs are (so you avoid hitting them with the screws) and mark where the RC is (so you DO hit them with the screws).

I'm a logical guy so I enjoyed building my iso booth but it took nearly 6 months of my free time.
Check out my website for cool songs recorded and played by me with Steve Goulding of the Mekons on drums. Drums were recorded by our own Joel H at Studio G.
www.linusNYC.com

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Sat May 16, 2009 7:05 am

losthighway wrote:My roommate and I just started putting drywall between the joists. It was the first time either of us used a drywall lift..... we kind of fell in love with it. Anything that is that helpful, practical and impressive looking- *man I love drywall lifts :oops:
Lost, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but are you putting up drywall between the floor joists? I'm interested in how that turns out since I have a basement that I was thinking of doing that in. I'm planning on putting insulation with fabric on the outside for trapping(ala Ethan Winer), but I don't think that will stop noise from upstairs. If I put 4" of insulation then drywall, then put another 6" of insulation, then the fabric, it might be better. Sounds like a ton of work for a home hobby studio. Thoughts?
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat May 16, 2009 5:50 pm

Yeah- that's exactly what I've been up to. The realization that you can take off two of the arms on a drywall lift so that you can use the remaining two to put up the strips was HUGE. Drywall lifts are amazing, beautiful- the American dream really.

I had a weird idea to put green glue between the strips going up into the joists. I see two very reasonable points of view that this is either:

a: a good way to get more isolation in less space, or

b: a stupid way to waste money and green glue

As for it's effectiveness I can not yet report. My room mate and I had a five hour preliminary session where we only did about a fifth of the ceiling, and spent most of the time getting our work pattern down. More to report on that very soon. I hope to have that step completed within a week. Then it's insulation and duct issues.