Octava/Oktava for toms?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Octava/Oktava for toms?

Post by Grahambo! » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:18 pm

Can anyone tell me what the Octava / Oktava MC 012 / MK 012 mics are like on toms?

I'm looking for some new rack tom/floor tom mics. ATM25s would be cool, but can't seem to find those. I hear these octava condensers are pretty cool though.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:01 pm

They're absolutely my favorite tom mics. I'd take them over a pair of U87's. (mind you I don't like people hitting my 87's anyway)

They somehow seem to capture what I want to hear out of the drum. And they're cheap enough with a good enough resale value that you can pick some up, try em out, see if they're to your taste, and then unload them if they don't blow your mind. If you pick them up used just make sure you get the pads! You're gonna need em.

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Is there a difference between the Octava/Oktava brand? Or the MC-012 or MK-012? I found a pair of Oktava MC012s going for $120 at my local used music shop.... hesitant because I'm not sure if there are "Fakes" or whatever...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:26 pm

There were some Oktava/Octava mics made in China and I don't know what the identifiable differences are, but there are Russian versions branded as both. With some internet sleuthing, you ought to be able to find out about the differences.

For whatever it's worth, almost every record I've done in the last seven or eight years have featured MC012s on the toms. Either those or the Audio Tech ATM450s. I love the Oktavas. They've been covered around here A LOT and a search should yield plenty of results. I know that both Joel Hamilton and I have ranted about them on numerous occasions.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:30 pm

OK. I think I figured out the differences. Real Oktava's come with a metal mic clip. They also have small white/silver screws. Usually, they come with a pad, and may or may not have a serial #.

I get off of work in 30 mins. The music shop these oktavas are at is just around the corner. I'll go investigate.

They're super cheap. I'm hoping it's just a mistake on their part. They often let shit go for way under market value, but most of the time I find their store too expensive, actually. We'll see...

Yeah, I have 1 ATM450. Never tried it on toms though.

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:11 pm

I've got a stock Oktava 219 that sounds amazing on toms, specifically floor. I've had friends borrow the mic and come to the same conclusion.

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:00 pm

OK. Checked out those Oktavas. They say Oktava Mc-012. They have the little white screws (good sign) but have the "A.M.S." thing on there...which as far as I know means they are fake.

They don't come with the -10db pad either. They do have the metal mic clip though.

$59.99 each. Thoughts?

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:57 pm

Grahambo! wrote:OK. Checked out those Oktavas. They say Oktava Mc-012. They have the little white screws (good sign) but have the "A.M.S." thing on there...which as far as I know means they are fake.

They don't come with the -10db pad either. They do have the metal mic clip though.

$59.99 each. Thoughts?
I have both the chinese and russian versions and they both sound great on toms. The both came in the little plastic boxes with metal clips so that doesn't make a difference. I think the A.M.S. label is only on the russian ones.
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:07 pm

Can anyone post an mp3 of an Oktava MC-012 on a tom (rack or floor or both)?

I'm just curious. Chinese vs. Russian comparison would be even better.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:41 pm

I use them on toms, they sound great, mine are modded so they are tighter/clearer than stock, but, the stock are fine on toms too.
Harumph!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:15 am

Grahambo! wrote:OK. Checked out those Oktavas. They say Oktava Mc-012. They have the little white screws (good sign) but have the "A.M.S." thing on there...which as far as I know means they are fake.

$59.99 each. Thoughts?
For that money buy them. I have 2 friends who will buy them from you if you decide you don't like them.

I love them for overheads. I'm in the minority in that they don't really juice my on toms the couple times I've used them there. Though I have a ton of recordings by Chris Garges and they sound fantastic when he uses them on toms.

I like big dumb thuddy dynamics on toms...

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:26 am

OK. I'll grab them. I hope I can find the pads somewhere though. I'm also a big fan of thuddy toms, so I hope these fit the bill...

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:24 pm

They will.
They should come with -10db pads.
Harumph!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:02 pm

Grahambo! wrote:OK. I'll grab them. I hope I can find the pads somewhere though. I'm also a big fan of thuddy toms, so I hope these fit the bill...
You might prefer dynamics then... MC012s are still great mics though. Look on ebay for pads and capsules.

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:57 pm

No. No pads are included with these used MC-012s. The store is selling them "as-is" (due to no pads and "slightly loose windscreen" [does he mean capsule?]). I think they're legit Russian, though. Just cheap and beat-up. $59.99 a piece.