some pix from yesterday's session

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

some pix from yesterday's session

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:54 pm

so i got to do an impromptu session yesterday, recording some of my favorite musicians in the world. they're called club d'elf, i've been mixing and mastering things for them for a decade but never got to record them other than a bass and drums session a million years ago at my old place. anyway they had shows friday and saturday night and we squeezed in a quickie yesterday afternoon.

these guys are kinda heroes to me and i was really psyched to get to record them. it's a rare treat to get to record musicians as ridiculously good as these guys, and i pretty much just threw up some mics and then shut the hell up. anyway as it was a bit of a historic session for me i took some pix and thought i'd share.

couple shots of everybody...

the boss, mr mike rivard on bass and sintir:

mr erik kerr on the drums:

mr dave tronzo on guitar:

some of dave's fiendish devices of guitar insanity:

erik, in character, provided much end of session hilarity...sadly lacking the accompanying audio, but here's

the triumph guy:

and the candycane man:

if you wanna hear what it sounded like, here's 30 seconds of soundcheck, complete with Snare Buzz as 4th Instrument and a running commentary of mumbling from the drummer.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:06 pm

scott man, if you dig this stuff man, you should hear this band I know called Club, D'E...... oh wait. (inside joke).

ps - lucky bastard. ;)

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Man, I love that earlier Club D'Elf stuff you did! It's great you're getting to do more. How 'bout some detail on the setup? And what's the story on the sintir?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:24 pm

cgarges wrote:How 'bout some detail on the setup?
Yeah, agreed.

And what a cool room, 'Space.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:33 pm

Sweet stuff, Scoot!

Looks great, thanks fer posting.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

David Piper
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by David Piper » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:38 pm

Cool photos! I got to do a session with Dave Tronzo about two years ago, and it was a blast. I had no idea who he was at the time, we recorded in my friend's garage that had no heat, and it was only later I realized how well known he is in certain circles. I actually got a lot of work from that session - the musicians started talking about the studio informally as 'the icebox'. Someone thought that was the real name of the studio a month or two later when they called me!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Jon Nolan wrote:scott man, if you dig this stuff man, you should hear this band I know called Club, D'E...... oh wait. (inside joke).
i told tronzo that story yesterday, he was laughing.

ok setup details...we only had a few hours to work with so i used that as an excuse to do it all live in one room, as its so much easier and quicker to set that up than to get into isolation and headphones and blah. the boss was more than a little wary of not having separation, as he is a perfectionist who likes to tweak things (and he is very good at it) but he rolled with it. of course the real reason i wanted to do it all live was, well duh you know the reason. musicians like that, c'mon. but i was also definitely trying to limit mike's options for later, and i'm sure he knew it. does that make me a bad engineer?

anyway as far as mics and stuff, the drums were

D112 outside the kick->DAV pre-fatso
409 on the snare->DAV->fatso
ksm141s in cardioid glyn johns->DAV->1960 eq, set flat
earthworks on the floor behind the drums, right in front of the tape shelf->sytek
AT4040 on the auxillary snares->sytek->distressor at 1:1, simply so i could gain it down as it was almost peaking the converters

bass thru mike's radial DI (which says "phase coherent" in big letters on it. wtf does that mean? it's one signal.) into one channel of the 1969, sm7 on the amp into the other channel. no compression.

m160 on tronzo->isa428

all tracked to sonar 44/24, drums through the lavrys, everything else through the focusrites.

erik played my drums except for his battery of snares, so i spent most of friday tuning the drums, cleaning the place up, and getting all the mics and everything all set up. basically i wanted them to be able to walk in, set up their amps, and start playing. and i knew the first thing they played was going to be good, so i prepared like a mofo to be able to catch it.

the thing that was most interesting to me...besides erik's cast of characters...was that they would do a take...there was one tune in particular where the first take...tronzo played all this stuff that had me falling out of my chair laughing it was so nuts. and mike and erik were stellar as well. it finished and i was just about to get on the talkback with "holyshityouguysthatwasfuckingunbelievable" but i could hear them talking in the room mics and man, they were ALL BIZ. like, totally quiet, mike saying stuff like "ok, so yeah the A section should be 8 instead of 6, and the B section needs to build more, i think if bla bla bla..."

and i was like damn, these dudes aren't even gonna acknowledge the crazy shit they just did. so i just shut up. and yunno, i usually try to be pretty invisible, but as soon as i figured out the vibe yesterday i tried to be REALLY invisible.

the sintir is a morrocan instrument...i dunno much about it except it sounds awesome. 3 strings, the middle one is shorter, banjo-style. i think it's tuned like root, fourth, octave, but it might be root, fourth, root...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:43 pm

Cool! Thanks, Scott!
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:ksm141s in cardioid glyn johns->DAV->1960 eq, set flat
Is that the Drawmer 1961 EQ? What does it sound like when it's in-line and flat? I've seen those EQs, but I don't think I've ever used one.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:they were ALL BIZ. like, totally quiet, mike saying stuff like "ok, so yeah the A section should be 8 instead of 6, and the B section needs to build more, i think if bla bla bla..."
That stuff is intense. I've been on those kind of sessions and it's a trip. A few days of that kind of thing in a row will make your ears go into hyper mode, too.

Sounds like fun! Congrats!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:50 pm

yeah my mistake, the 1961. yesterday was the first time i had it in line for overheads, so i can't say exactly how it sounds, but my thinking was i just wanted to soften them up a little bit, get the tubes happening a little on the big hits, yunno. same deal with the fatso on kick and snare, it wasn't really doing much except making less work for later.

one other story...i'd recorded tronzo a couple years ago, overdubbing on another d'elf tune. he brought his wife with him, and she hung out with me in the control room while he was tracking. so he's out there doing a take, and it's some crazy freak out moroccan thing where there's a million things happening, and no one's playing on one...and he's playing...well he kinda never plays any really long lines, it's all very fractured, in and out sorta stuff...so anyway, his wife and i are in here listening, and every now and again he'd do some little phrase and his wife would laugh. so great. was like he was making little in-jokes just for her.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:28 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:tronzo

newmarket NH in the house! woot.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:59 pm

Very cool stuff and story Scott! Thanks for sharing. I've got it on repeat right now.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Brilliant. I love this story and the sound check example! Sounds great all around.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:41 pm

thanks guys! the room mics are kinda comically loud on that little snippet but oh well.

i'm lobbying the boss to just make this a trio/live in the studio/no overdubs record. he didn't reject the initial idea outright, so i'm preparing my big sales pitch. :D

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:21 am

The control room looks great!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:00 am

that's the best you can do? c'mon, you're not even trying.

the control room: