Phono preamps - need advice

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kingnimrod
pushin' record

Phono preamps - need advice

Post by kingnimrod » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:17 am

I am looking for a good phono preamp, to use in the near-term to convert vinyl to digital format, and maybe listening purposes down the road should the vinyl bug catch me.

My question is this - for the purpose of recording stuff to computer, am I better off getting a standard phono pre and running it in via my Firewire 410 interface, or buying a phono preamp that has a USB interface built-in? I'm guessing the firewire route will offer better recording quality, or is the difference negligible?

If I go with a standard phono preamp, are the budget models like the ART DJ PRE II going to offer a quality signal? I see that the prices on these things get as ridiculous as every other part of the vinyl enthusiast's signal chain.

What say you? I'm antsy to get rolling with something ASAP. I haven't had a functioning turntable for many years.

kingnimrod
pushin' record

Post by kingnimrod » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:18 am

oh, and yes - I used the search function - and read everything turntable-related on the site and didn't see this specific situation addressed.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:15 pm

A normal phono preamp is totally fine. If you're going to convert it to mp3s eventually there's probably no need for it to start as a super high end audiophile 24/192 signal.

As far as one with built in USB vs your firewire 410, odds are the converters built into the all in one units are CHEAP AS HELL. Not that the FW410 is my favorite sounding interface in the world, but I bet the difference in quality would be negligible at best. Personally I'd either save the money or spend it on getting a slightly nicer phono pre.

I hope that helps!

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:37 am

my vote goes for the radial j33 phono preamp. i have been using it daily for 18 months and it totally rocks. it has all the outs you could need (phono, stereo mini jack, stereo jack AND BALANCED MIC LEVEL!!!), and fantastic sound quality. it makes archiving vinyl a breeze and is built like brick shit house. can't go wrong i reckon!

http://www.radialeng.com/di-j33.htm

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:05 am

One phono stage that I can sincerely recommend is the Monolithic Sound PS-1. I am a fairly avid vinyl enthusiast and have a nice turntable rig. I have tried out a few different phono stages over the years (including a couple modestly spendy ones), and the Monolithic has been what I've stuck with. Very nice....just sounds "right". I have the optional Monolithic outboard power supply, but you could certainly do just fine with the PS-1 and its wall wart power supply. They aren't exactly dirt cheap, but def. are not expensive and you could probably scope out Audiogon and find a used one for a great price.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:14 am

Most phono preamps are noisy, inaccurate and sound like ass. If you want to extract all of the signal, better is better.
If you can solder, look at the example in the National LME49710/20/40 data sheets. It's good for moving coils and is very accurate and quiet. It's direct coupled and the opamp psu scheme is very good too. It could be built in a couple of hours or so for about $20.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

kingnimrod
pushin' record

Post by kingnimrod » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:12 pm

thanks for the tips. This cartridge is moving magnet type.

I already have the firewire interface - that's why I was supposing I'd run the phono preamp into it. Surely that would be better than my mac G5 soundcard, no?

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:04 pm

Well, if you're thinking about eventual listening, there's no harm in getting a great sounding hi-fi receiver. A nice, working 70's solid state receiver could be picked up at a reasonable price if you're patient and know what to look for.

Jon~T
gettin' sounds

Post by Jon~T » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:57 pm

Go with Radial

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Jim Williams wrote:Most phono preamps are noisy, inaccurate and sound like ass. If you want to extract all of the signal, better is better.
If you can solder, look at the example in the National LME49710/20/40 data sheets. It's good for moving coils and is very accurate and quiet. It's direct coupled and the opamp psu scheme is very good too. It could be built in a couple of hours or so for about $20.
thanks for chiming in Jim.
I will have to follow this one up as well as you AD-DA suggestions elsewhere on this forum. I think I have even more bench time in my future.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."