Reputation vs. Know-it-alls

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:00 pm

I kinda think that the "know it all" attitude is something that is part of being a teenager. All kids think they know everything, whether they are into recording, history or politcal science. The iPod, instant message, internet, etc. generation doesn't want to wait around for gramps to route some signal through a patch bay. They want it now and they want it to be easy. Thats where the mBox and other small interfaces like it come in. It's simple, you can make it work with very little knowledge and whip out a demo faster than taco johns can fry up some potato ole's.

It's a frustrating part of life that that I've come to realize there will be no end to. All you can do is nod your head and and be professional. Then wait 20 minutes until they need help setting up an aux send, or ask why the song is so quiet on their iPod.

See to me....as long as I keep learning and experimenting I know I'm doing the right thing. Let them think what they want and I'll keep putting out better recordings that will undoubtedly sell less and be shunned by the tween generation. But heck thats life.

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:34 am

Making a crappy album because i didn't want to spend the money to have someone do it for me is what got me interested in recording.

Sometimes it takes making a couple mistakes in recording to realize you need someone who knows what they're doing to record an album. Some people get this, some don't. One thing I found about not super undercutting your prices: you get people who are more mature and more serious about their music. If you are the cheapest option then you will get business but you will also attract every 17-year old who thinks Metallica is the greatest thing ever. And I'm not saying that is bad, I was there once, at that age it takes a few mistakes to realize that you need people who know how to get it done.

In the end it really boils down to whats already been discussed: be professional, be patient, and keep learning. If you can show yourself to be someone worth working with, people will work with you.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:53 am

Old age and treachery will always trump youth and skill.

:twisted:
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:40 pm

ott0bot wrote:faster than taco johns can fry up some potato ole's.

What are Potato ole's?
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:58 pm

Leopold wrote:
ott0bot wrote:faster than taco johns can fry up some potato ole's.

What are Potato ole's?
The same thing as potato peso's! :wink:

hehe...bassically it's a smaller coin shaped tater tot. taco johns side dish instead of fries. i'm pretty much vegan now, so I don't do fast food...but back in high school in the midwest I used to rock a bag of these at lunch hour for sustinance quite frequently.