Tascam 512 Mixer Question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

BeatleFred
audio school graduate

Tascam 512 Mixer Question

Post by BeatleFred » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:26 pm

I just obtained a 512 board that appears to be in excellent condition, but I was wondering about the power supply for it. Rather, I dont see one that came with it. The board just has a regular ac line cord. Yet, I have heard of a power supply that was made by Tascam, so I am trying to determine if the power supply was an optional accessory, or if it came with every 512 that was originally sold when new. If anyone here has more Info about it they could tell me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Does the power supply offer any additional benefits, compared to just an ac cord?

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Post by psinglet » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:59 am

I have the 520, not the 512. If the 512 has a standard AC cord, the power supply is internal as opposed to external (possibly to keep costs down?). I would assume an optional external power supply would not have been cost effective to produce, especially on a less expensive console (than the 520). The 520 has a round, multi-pin connector to connect the console to the power supply, not a standard power cable. If it appears that some modification has been done to the power connection, I guess there is a possibility that someone modded it to run on an internal supply. The main advantage of an external supply is keeping the power supply components that could potentially cause noise further away from the console's electronics.

EDIT: My mistake. The 520's power connection is a rectangular 20-something pin connection, not round. Also, the power supply model number is PS-520, so my guess is that it is only for the 520. I will check my manual when I can find it to see if I can find more info.

BeatleFred
audio school graduate

Post by BeatleFred » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:03 pm

Hello: Thanks for your reply. I contacted Tascam because I needed two of those green color caps on top of the Aux knobs, aparently they were missing when the seller had the board (I just bought the 512 on Ebay and it arrived yesterday), but luckily Tascam still stocks them, only 68 cents ea.

I asked about the power supply, and Yes, they said its used only on the 520. I imagine for the reasons you mentioned.

Wow, this 512 is pretty darn big. I thought the 308 I already had was big, but the 512 is a sight to behold. It arrived in an enormous box which took me a while to unpack :) Luckily, I had a table to temporarily put it on thats almost big enough, enough width, but needs more depth.

Well, I will certainly have my work cut out for me to study the manual and get acquainted with its features and how to use it properly. I just hope its reliable, otherwise it would be an effort to bring it out of the house to have it repaired somewhere due to its large size and weight.