Advice on mixing work flow shortcuts within protools.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

east3rdst
gettin' sounds

Advice on mixing work flow shortcuts within protools.

Post by east3rdst » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi, sorry for the convoluted title.

I'm experimenting with some different mixing work flow for mixing quickly for bands with minimal budgets, and I would like your input. This corresponds to a group of songs all recorded over a couple days, same mics, amps, drums, sounds, etc.

I begin to mix a few of the songs and and out of the group a few of them shine through as being superior. Is there a short cut for "applying a mix to another session? I have some ideas, but they all seem messy, and tedious.

Is there an "apply mix to session" feature hidden in PT?

And just in general, whats your mix work flow? Any tips to try?
Donny Cooper

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:10 pm

Assuming you have the same instrumentation on the songs...

In the session whose mix you're not fond of:

Import -> Session Data -> the session where you like the mix

You'll end up with double the amount of tracks, as PT will pull in all the tracks from the other session. Then copy the audio from the "old" and paste into the "new" -- assuming you've got no volume automation written, levels oughta stay the same, and you'll be able to re-use all your effects/plugs etc. Then deactivate all the old tracks (don't delete them, just turn them off). At that point you may have to tweak some stuff but you'll be set up for using the old settings on the new song.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:26 am

dwlb wrote:Assuming you have the same instrumentation on the songs...

You'll end up with double the amount of tracks, as PT will pull in all the tracks from the other session. Then copy the audio from the "old" and paste into the "new" -- assuming you've got no volume automation written, levels oughta stay the same, and you'll be able to re-use all your effects/plugs etc. Then deactivate all the old tracks (don't delete them, just turn them off). At that point you may have to tweak some stuff but you'll be set up for using the old settings on the new song.
That's about it. the only thing to watch is this -
When you import the data from another session it will import the audio too. You can remove the audio (command, shift, b then hit remove when prompted) but make sure you don't delete it. If you delete it the tracks will be gone from it's original song file as well as the song you just imported it to.
I learned that one the hard way.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:33 am

junkshop wrote:

When you import the data from another session it will import the audio too. You can remove the audio (command, shift, b then hit remove when prompted) but make sure you don't delete it. If you delete it the tracks will be gone from it's original song file as well as the song you just imported it to.

Just remembered a work around -
If you have a mix that you'd like to use as a template for other songs hit SAVE AS and rename it (let's call it Mix temp). Once it's been renamed remove (don't delete) all the audio from the session file (highlight everything in the regions list and hit command, shift, b and remove when prompted). Now you can import data from the mix template without bring the audio.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:40 pm

junkshop wrote:[
Happened to me too. Fuckin sucked....

dave-G
studio intern

Post by dave-G » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:04 am

I'm a bit perplexed by the replies here, as the Import Session Data function is made specifically for this, and has tons of options for what to import, what tracks to get data from, what tracks to overlay that data on, what data to ignore, whether to import audio or not.. Are you not seeing this when you Import?

Hope that helps!
-dave
Last edited by dave-G on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:18 am

Your image isn't working but I'm sure your right. It's just like me to have a workaround for something that the program already does on it's own.

dave-G
studio intern

Post by dave-G » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:27 am

junkshop wrote:Your image isn't working but I'm sure your right. It's just like me to have a workaround for something that the program already does on it's own.
I think I fixed the images...

And as I did, it occurred to me that maybe LE has fewer options in the Import Session Data dialog than HD does.. But I dunno, I've only got HD.

-dave
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

east3rdst
gettin' sounds

Post by east3rdst » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:29 am

dave-G wrote:
junkshop wrote:Your image isn't working but I'm sure your right. It's just like me to have a workaround for something that the program already does on it's own.
I think I fixed the images...

And as I did, it occurred to me that maybe LE has fewer options in the Import Session Data dialog than HD does.. But I dunno, I've only got HD.

-dave
I think you have more options with HD. I was pretty sure when I posted this that it was going require deleting and moving regions to new tracks. I guess I was looking for a new PT 8 feature that I don't know about, but I'm also curious about other peoples work flow when mixing. Do you guy's always start every mix in a project from the ground up?
Donny Cooper

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:21 am

east3rdst wrote: Do you guy's always start every mix in a project from the ground up?
No, If tracking was somewhat consistent it would be a waste of time to start each song from the ground up, when if you have one song dialed in, you can just start from there... for the basics anyway, unless you used different snares and kicks etc...

As Dave was saying, When importing session data, You can chose what data you want to import.

It's important that you de-select... Alt Playlist, Region and Media and Volume Automation.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:41 am

I was shown this lovely option of importing everything on an older mix plus system...

sadly when I got home on my 6.3 LE system, not all of those options were available for import... just the audio..

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:44 am

junkshop wrote:
junkshop wrote:

Just remembered a work around -
If you have a mix that you'd like to use as a template for other songs hit SAVE AS and rename it (let's call it Mix temp). Once it's been renamed remove (don't delete) all the audio from the session file (highlight everything in the regions list and hit command, shift, b and remove when prompted). Now you can import data from the mix template without bring the audio.
i'm going to start trying this.. duh.. so fucking easy i bet. since i'm in LE, i wish i had the option of importing more than just audio within the session data screen. I normally just write down every single plug, and every single fader level and then set it up again on the next song.. takes some time.. but works..

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:14 pm

east3rdst wrote:Do you guy's always start every mix in a project from the ground up?
I do. I at least start with faders down. Even if all of the songs were tracked in the same day with the same gear in the same configuration, I feel like the SONG, rather than the setup, dictates what a mix will need. I may leave the EQs engaged and the inserts patched as a starting point. But, I usually start with all faders down.

dubh dubh dubh
gettin' sounds

Post by dubh dubh dubh » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:57 am

well this is sort of like making a 'session template' in PT, but not quite... I've gotten really quick at 'save copy as...', name it '(band name)assign template' or whatever; open that one up, select the 'All' group by clicking it (or shift+!), changing all track displays to 'waveform', deleting them (and automation also if needed), then importing the audio tracks for the next song. Sounds convoluted, just takes a few seconds. Works on every version PT, and prolly every similar program...
http://tinyurl.com/fbookDUBH and

I mix/engineer/produce/reduce & make gear heinously misbehave in delightful ways.

parkinson's:it's not just for grannie anymore.
http://www.michaeljfox.org/living.cfm