what happens when you put wax on acoustic guitars?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

what happens when you put wax on acoustic guitars?

Post by versuviusx » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:05 pm

ok so i was looking for a Brazilian Carnauba wax to put on my electrics. but what about acoustics? what would happen if i put this stuff on my acoustic?

acjetnut
pushin' record

Post by acjetnut » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:30 pm

So... you're saying that you want to give your guitar a Brazilian wax?

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:51 pm

Owned in the first response. :)

It just depends on what finish. If it's like a polyurethane finish, then you're just coating plastic. But if it's a light oil coat I would not advise.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

BOWIE
alignin' 24-trk

Post by BOWIE » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:49 pm

AstroDan wrote:Owned in the first response. :)

It just depends on what finish. If it's like a polyurethane finish, then you're just coating plastic. But if it's a light oil coat I would not advise.
Correct. If it's finished with a clear coat, then you will be putting a sacrificial layer of wax down to protect the clear from scratches (the same reason you would wax a car). I'd leave it off in favor of tone.
If it's an oil finish, you risk clogging up the wood's pores unless you know if your wax is compatible with the wood. Could help, could hurt. Check with the manufacturer.

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:51 am

I definitely wouldn't put this on a finished guitar.

In a past life - I was an apprentice cabinet maker. I actually used that stuff on a 2X12 guitar cabinet I made.

That stuff is made to soak into bare wood and after a couple coats it dries up hard as a rock. First - I don't know that it would work much at all if it wasn't able to soak into unfinished wood. Second - it would seriously seriously change the density and resonance of a guitar you put it on - I would imagine it would dampen a lot of the vibration and kill sustain and whatnot.

On an unfinished guitar - it could be cool... I've never tried it. But on a pre-lacquered guitar I think you'd just have a sticky, messy situation on your hands.
tra la la

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:07 am

on an acoustic it would probably keep the top from vibrating and mess badly with the tone. so i wouldn't think it would be a good idea.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:51 pm

Guitars open up with age and it is what you want to happen in acoustic gtrs. If you put that wax on an acoustic guitar, you can forget about it opening up ever.
DON"T wax the acoustic guitar, use lemon oil, at worst walnut oil, which is fine, but don't put wax on an acoustic unless it's a cheap piece of plywood shite, then, who cares.
Harumph!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: what happens when you put wax on acoustic guitars?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:37 pm

versuviusx wrote:ok so i was looking for a Brazilian Carnauba wax to put on my electrics. but what about acoustics? what would happen if i put this stuff on my acoustic?
Carnauba wax is for cars.

Not for guitars.

The only oils you need to leave on your guitars is the one from your fingers.

Acoustics already come with a laquer or other finish to protect it, while allowing the wood to open up with age, and resonate differently in 30 - 40 years. Genereally a better tone with age.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

gwamba
audio school graduate

Post by gwamba » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 am

if you play this guitar.......spit,and a scratch resistant cloth....
if its good enough fer doc.....its good enough fer me!
what are you doing tomarow?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:10 am

I have a unfinished Martin DX, and I still wouldn't wax it. I just use the Martin guitar polish and a soft lint-free cloth. Cleans like a beauty, doesn't affect tone, and doesn't get all over my hands when playing. Plus the finish looks good for a month or so.