LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:17 am

noeqplease wrote:
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, TEACH"
A rebuttal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU

:lol:[/quote]

Good one! I am a music teacher and this video poem is the truth!

We always say as a joke in my school to add to the above quote "...and those who can't teach, teach gym."
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:25 am

Resume:

"While other people get paid doing tangible and rational work - like bricklayers, or even Kim Kardashian making money showing off her ass - I would like to earn a living for the rest of my days on earth discouraging and failing students who produce the most favorable results and by not knowing who Glyn Johns is."

Life: HIRED.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:00 am

red cross wrote:
noeqplease wrote:Your teacher is full of it.

Be proud that your drum sounds are better than the rest of the class.

Ignore negative feedback.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, TEACH"

Cheers
A rebuttal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU

:lol:
Teacher machismo. I feel really sorry for that guy's students. Who the hell is he to decide when other humans talk or pee. What an a-hole. Bet he doesn't know who Glyn Johns is either.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:15 pm

New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:53 pm

sad iron wrote:Is your teacher Tad Donnely?

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/4242 ... aining.htm
Lol, I forgot about him...

"I'm a Mutt Lange!" ROTFLMAO!!!
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:45 pm

That guys like a virus, he pops up in every thread.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Holy crap... that dude needs to lay off the sauce... :shock:
insert witty comment here...

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:05 pm

T-rex wrote:

That guys like a virus, he pops up in every thread.
Yes, but a virus that is hilarious to watch destroy the english language and common sense.

I can just imagine him teaching.....

"Glynn Johns? What? What? I bet that guy never even owned a mackie big knob. Thats the bad boy right there if you want to take if for a test drive. Did I ever tell you how I produced the one armed guy from Def Leopards' solo record. Oh...and that carpet I put in really made my sm58 shoved in the bass drum sound like thunder. Thats how it's done. Oh....your grade. You get a D, cause Glynn Johns never played in White Snake."

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:02 pm

snarkiness aside, maybe we shouldn't crucify the professor in question because he didn't know this one thing and made a foolish statement.

I happen to also know the professor, and I think Ian D has a great point and I think the professor has egg on his face in this instance. But, it does not make him a moron or inept as others in this thread have tried to make him out to be. He has, in fact, made a huge impact on several hundreds (thousands?) of students' lives in a very positive manner. An overwhelmingly positive manner, even. He has a nearly encyclopedic brain. And normally, he has a really great ear.

But fuck all that, he doesn't know Glyn John's drum micing techniques. Right? Let's get him!

:cry:
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:28 pm

Are we sure the OP was doing Glyn Johns correctly? There is some line you can't cross and still call your shit Glyn Johns, right? There might have been something genuinely wrong with his technique and therefore the sound that the prof picked up on.

Now we gotta hear the recording and see the photos.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:10 pm

snarkiness aside, maybe we shouldn't crucify the professor in question because he didn't know this one thing and made a foolish statement.

I happen to also know the professor, and I think Ian D has a great point and I think the professor has egg on his face in this instance. But, it does not make him a moron or inept as others in this thread have tried to make him out to be. He has, in fact, made a huge impact on several hundreds (thousands?) of students' lives in a very positive manner. An overwhelmingly positive manner, even. He has a nearly encyclopedic brain. And normally, he has a really great ear.
Josh is right, this thread has gotten a little de-railed and over the top. I really didn't intend to for this to be a collective stoning of my professor. For the record, I learned more in his class than I have in any other; maybe not about mic techniques, but I went from barely knowing how to use a console and a patch bay to getting getting the highest grade in the class on my console proficiency because of him. He really is a very knowledgeable engineer and a good teacher. To his credit the Glyn Johns drum mic setup is a bit of an obscure and hard to understand mic technique, hence me asking this question.

Now, should he have instantly assumed it was incorrect because he did not know of that technique? definitely not! But that doesn't really matter, I finished crying over it weeks ago.

I just really wanted to understand WHY it works so well, and I feel that I have a better understanding of it now. It's about having the snare drum perfectly centered in the image and also capturing more of the room sound with the side mic, which is perfectly in phase with the other microphones.

Unless my understanding is completely incorrect, lets mark this one answered and let it rest....

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:40 am

And- (to keep things on the positive/tech side) the other benefit of Glyn John's is the way the condensers interact with the toms and snare. It allows them a different angle to capture a greater drum presence, more than XY, ORTF or spaced pair, which also typically have the snare equidistant from each mic.

That mic looking across the floor tom at the snare gets a drum presence a mic wouldn't get 4-6 feet in the air looking down.

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:47 pm

Speaking of proper ways of doing things, the proper spelling is: Glyn Johns not Glynn Johns.

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:18 pm

Tad Donley?

decocco
pushin' record

Post by decocco » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:10 pm

To his credit the Glyn Johns drum mic setup is a bit of an obscure and hard to understand mic technique...
I don't mean to sound douchey, but I totally disagree. I would be worried about studying under a recording teacher who is unfamiliar with this technique.

Perhaps you can help educate him.
-Chris D.