MOTU 828 Mk II question...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the_snowfields
alignin' 24-trk

MOTU 828 Mk II question...

Post by the_snowfields » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:54 pm

Is there anyway to attenuate the signal coming into the motu other than the -10/+4 default?
+4 is generally too much and -10 is usually not enough.
I am coming directly off tape and it seems much signal lies in that gray area - anyone else have this issue? I do not have the manual and this stinking tiny parameter knob interface leaves a lot to be desired - I could be just missing it.
If not - does this mean I have to run it through another board/attenuating device?
Is there another workaround?
I am coming directly out of the tape outs of a 388...
thanks!
d+

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:01 pm

Have the same model, have the same problem with microphones. Can't fix it with the built in pres, with the lines in you need an output control on your mic pre.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:01 am

I just brought a project in from 4-track, and ran it through the 828mk2. Anyway, on some things, the +4 / -10 was definitely leaving a gray area of not enough / too much. but then there is the "Boost" buttons on each channel in the CueMix software. Solved the problem every time. "Boost" is located above the +4 / -10 buttons on analog 1 though analog 8 in the CueMix software.

For the record, in the six years I've been using this interface, I have never used it without the software interface. CueMix is really great and I see no reason at all not to use it unless you are using the 828mk2 without a computer, which is kind of not my cup of tea.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

the_snowfields
alignin' 24-trk

Post by the_snowfields » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:18 pm

whoa - that is exactly what I need - i have not used CueMix before -this is much better than the hardware interface -and that +6 gets me even closer.
thanks Jeff!

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:00 pm

I have an 828MKII and have used it since they came out. I can get around pretty well in the tiny menu screen, it just takes getting used to the difference between the param, cursor and value knobs. But of course the abovementioned cuemix software helps a lot.
how do you mean "too much"?
what kind of level are you getting in your DAW software?
If -10 is getting overs than +4 should be just right, if a little hot.

Ideally you should shoot for -12 to -18dbfs levels in the DAW. If you record all your tracks at the highest possible level you wont have much room to mix, and most plugins will not sound optimal.
If yoy DAW meters are set to display -20 to 0 dbfs this might look odd. If thats the case just change them to display -90 to 0dbfs!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

the_snowfields
alignin' 24-trk

Post by the_snowfields » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:41 pm

I am using DP6 but with the latest upgrade I cannot get level indicators to preview the input mode - I can only see levels in Cue Mix, which is kind of a pain. I have to start recording in DP to get any idea of where the levels are. Anyone have any idea how to toggle it input levels indicator on?

The reason for the variety of signal strength is due to a roughly calibrated 388, which is all over the place...
I just got two reels into DP5 and did a pretty good job it seems tweening the tracks with the "boost" capacity of Cue Mix, but it's far from perfect. But since these are not crucial tracks it's ok and a fine learning experience. Also these two reels are my first through the 388 and have learned much about hitting that sucker too hard with the levels....oh well. You keep them around for the charm, right?