Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:51 am

drumsound wrote:I got an Audio Industries Ultratone record recorder! With Microphone!!!! Records mic or AM radio! I'm planning to try it as a guitar amp too!Geektastic!
wow, we had one of those at my daycare center when I was... 8? 7?
I think that is what got me started on this confounded audio bug.
We got so busted for recording dirty songs.
I remeber mrs Clantain playing the stuff back for our parents and watching our parents bust up laughing, while she was pretty stiff necked about it.
I hope you got the media. I think it was acetate?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:48 pm

I put money down on this two years ago. Just like George's!
Rickenbacker delivered it to the store in June. Since then it's been peanut butter raising the balance.
This makes up for the Carl Wilson 12 string I lost to the pawn shop in '03...almost.
Anybody looking for a great deal on a Rickenbacker should give the House of guitars in Rochester a call. The author of Beatles Gear, Andy Babiuk, used to work there. They're great guys. And everyone has the exact same accent!Image

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
drumsound wrote:I got an Audio Industries Ultratone record recorder! With Microphone!!!! Records mic or AM radio! I'm planning to try it as a guitar amp too!Geektastic!

It records to vinyl? As in, cuts the grooves? Like in the olden days?

If so, :shock: . That's seriously awesome.

If not, :oops: .
Yes-it records RECORDS! off the radio or the mic, and has a speaker out too. I need to go see the guy because the TT isn't running at the right speed. Then I need to look into media. I'm swamped with life right now, but I can get radio and mic signal so it can still have it's uses.

GetHimEatHim
takin' a dinner break

Post by GetHimEatHim » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:07 pm

I got an API Lunchbox and a Great River GR-500NV. WHY DID I NOT DO THIS SOONER????? Seriously, I am amazed at how small, portable, and obscenely logical the Lunchbox is. Next up, I think, will be a Shadow Hills Mono GAMA.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:40 pm

GetHimEatHim wrote:I got an API Lunchbox and a Great River GR-500NV. WHY DID I NOT DO THIS SOONER?????
Totally! I just got one with an API 512C and feel the same way. I'm actually thinking the Great River is the next piece for me to put in there.

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:30 am

I have hope that some lovely day I will be smart enough to use this.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:53 am

not until you get a pocket protector.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:58 am

I love that Rickenbacker...
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:07 am

minorleagues wrote:I love that Rickenbacker...
Totally, I mean it's not even right to post a picture like that. Do you know what a photo like that does to people? I won't be able to sleep tonight dude. Saw the pic and had to catch my breath. Alex, you're like... the phreaking man, congrats!
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:16 am

Totally choice as a guitar amp Tony. I use an old '64/'65 tube driven Tandberg model 12 as a guitar amp on some things and you just can't imitate that sound and that tone. Even just plugged straight into it with no effects is amazing tone. Amazing.

I scored a mic just like that one a couple of years ago in near mint condition and it comes in handy once in a while for super old school crazy sharp mids that jump out and grab you by the eyeballs. ElectroVoice Model 615 that says PL-55 on the plug.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:32 am

KennyLusk wrote:
minorleagues wrote:I love that Rickenbacker...
Totally, I mean it's not even right to post a picture like that. Do you know what a photo like that does to people? I won't be able to sleep tonight dude. Saw the pic and had to catch my breath. Alex, you're like... the phreaking man, congrats!
:D Just looking at it makes me happy. It's surprisingly thin and light. It sounds better than any other 12 string Rick I've played before. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll have the Valvetech Hayseed paid for and then..look out neighbors!Image

Tony, that recorder is amazing. I never knew it was possible to cut a vinyl record without a lathe. I guess that's what that is, kinda?

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Avenson Audio SmallDI; not especially exciting except that I got it (very gently) used for $55. :D Sounds great; I definitely dig it more than the Radial ProDI that I've been using for awhile. I'm still not completely sold on all synth sounds sounding better through it vs. the Radial, but everything else that I'd record direct definitely sounds better through it.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:52 am

Just picked up a used Art Pro VLA for $200. After hearing all the hype I couldn't pass it up. Seems pretty good so far.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:39 pm

A couple things:

A new $200 solid spruce top, rosewood back and sides Silver Creek 000 guitar. Spent the afternoon sanding the bridge down, the nut needs a little work, needs new pegs and the tuners are passable, but if it turns out to e as good as I hope I'll put Grovers on. $200 for all solid woods is just stupid and that's why it was the stupid deal of the day on Friday. I might have a new stage acoustic. Even after playing for just a couple hours the sound is really opening up.

AND...

I made a new guitar wall hanger out of this "channel system" thing I found at Lowes. the pros: the hangers are movable, to accommodate differnt guitar sizes. The cons: the hangers weren't quite narrow enough for some headstocks so I had to "adjust" them.

I was planning on getting a piece of wood and some hangers and making this myself, which would have been cheaper, but this is a little nicer looking and still hella cheaper than individual hangers. All tolled, I spent $35 for 4 hangers.

New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:59 am

Waves Mercury Bundle.

Now THAT is being a plug-in whore, if ever...

:worthy:
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.