Travel Time and Recording Budgets

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Travel Time and Recording Budgets

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:15 pm

For any of you that end up traveling to recording gigs a lot (like I do) what do you charge for travel time while "getting to" the job? I end up flying into places and then realize I've lost 2 whole days in travel and haven't been paid. I've gotten half my normal day rate a few times but I'd kinda forgotten about it lately.

Also, do you make clients pick up accommodations and flights/gas?
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Travel Time and Recording Budgets

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:36 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:For any of you that end up traveling to recording gigs a lot (like I do) what do you charge for travel time while "getting to" the job? I end up flying into places and then realize I've lost 2 whole days in travel and haven't been paid. I've gotten half my normal day rate a few times but I'd kinda forgotten about it lately.

Also, do you make clients pick up accommodations and flights/gas?
It all depends on how far it is.

Cross country, for example, yes, the artist has paid for all travel expenses and lodging, as well as a per diem for food etc.

Less than 90 miles... I usually don't charge, unless it's going to be an extensive commute, in which case I charge the mileage at 35c / mile plus the time one way to get there. That to me seems fair.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:52 pm

If I'm traveling, I usually work out some kind of package for the time I'm there. I usually factor in travel time, but I love doing this sort of thing, so sometimes there's bit of a break in my normal day rate if it's a good amount of time. It all comes out in the wash. If a flight's involved, they have to pay for it and if I'm driving, they have to cover gas. They also have to get me a place to stay, but if it's clean and I can shower, I'm not too picky. If they're paying my full day rate for each day I'm there, I don't charge for food, because I don't charge for food when I'm working in Charlotte. Otherwise, that gets factored into the deal as well.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

norsehorse
gettin' sounds

Post by norsehorse » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:07 am

Currently, I don't charge for travel. I'm referring mainly to day gigs that are a few hours away (not flights). I consider the cost of gas part of the cost of doing business. After all, I'm a remote recording engineer - money that regular studios spend on rent and lease I spend on gas. Plus, you can often write it off on your taxes.

If a gig simply isn't worth it, then I'll need to pass it up or explain that I need to charge extra.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:30 am

Half your "day rate" for a whole day of travel has always seemed fair to me.
Flights/Travel expenses and accomodations too.

Like Carges said if the band/client has a nice clean place for me to stay I don't necessarily have to be in a hotel.

Sometimes it is an acknowledgement of the time that will be put in on a project when working on a 'project rate'

Of course all these details have to be presented early in your talks as part of your price so everything can be clearly worked out to the satisfaction of both parties before shaking hands on any kind of deal.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:16 am

"Half your "day rate" for a whole day of travel has always seemed fair to me."

That's what I've usually done. Sometimes I forget to ask - I just made a spreadsheet to fill in for new jobs. Hell, getting a cell number will be the first smart thing I'll do.

"Flights/Travel expenses and accomodations too."

"I usually ask, though it's tough with the Portland gigs as it's my studio and such even though I have no home there! Like Carges said if the band/client has a nice clean place for me to stay I don't necessarily have to be in a hotel."

"Yeah, me too until my gal wants to visit! Sometimes it is an acknowledgement of the time that will be put in on a project when working on a 'project rate' Of course all these details have to be presented early in your talks as part of your price so everything can be clearly worked out to the satisfaction of both parties before shaking hands on any kind of deal."

Yup. I'm hoping the spreadsheet keeps me on track. I got slack after Kendra took on the studio managing! Thanks Eric!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

acjetnut
pushin' record

Post by acjetnut » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:20 am

Did anyone else on first glance think that this thread was about "Time Travel and Recording Budgets"?

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:05 am

Only every single time it's near the top of the list of threads. :oops:

I first expected to see an accounting of what it cost to record A Hard Day's Night or something like that.

I'm not kidding.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:42 pm

Client should pay for airfare and travel expenses, but not time spent traveling. Some techs in Los Angeles used to try to bill for travel across town. It's hit and miss. Most won't pay it.

If you're flying to Nashville, let the client pay for it. If you're driving down to Eugene, I say the onus is on you.

xpulsar
pushin' record

Post by xpulsar » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:36 am

I usually will charge for the travel expenses such as air fair,gas,rental car,per diem, if those things are not already worked into a package rate. Of course these things are stated in writing just so that everyone knows the deal.

-Collin

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:31 pm

acjetnut wrote:Did anyone else on first glance think that this thread was about "Time Travel and Recording Budgets"?