digimax LT, how do i get the inserts to act as analog output

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chad_strung
studio intern

digimax LT, how do i get the inserts to act as analog output

Post by chad_strung » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:42 pm

I know about the modified cables i need. What i cannot figure out, is how to route stems (weather its through buses or main outputs) out of the DigiMax LT. I try to use ADAT 1, but it doesn't work. I don't have the modified cable, but i tried another method, using the insert cable, and letting one of the TS ends hang, dummy-like, (i tried both sides, ring and tip) to see if it would output, but that didn't work.

My goal is to have 8 more outputs coming from pro-toools, for a total of 16 outputs (i can output 8 from the 002 rack), into my mixing board, where i can do a mix.

PLEASE HELP! Very confused. I've been told also that getting a plug in like Mellow Muse will help with latency issues when outputting stuff.

thanks.
chad_strung
www.facebook.com/thehighstrung
www.honesttogoodness.bandcamp.com
www.the-mythics.bandcamp.com
Motu 828mkii/MacBook Pro (mid-2012)/Pro Tools 10/11/UA Apollo Duo Firewire

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Post by psinglet » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:29 pm

If it works like a normal insert, take a standard 1/4" TS cable and insert it into the jack until you hit the first "click." The cable will not be all the way into the jack. You should have a send pre-fader without disabling the signal in the channel.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: digimax LT, how do i get the inserts to act as analog ou

Post by Andy Peters » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:13 pm

chad_strung wrote:I know about the modified cables i need. What i cannot figure out, is how to route stems (weather its through buses or main outputs) out of the DigiMax LT. I try to use ADAT 1, but it doesn't work. I don't have the modified cable, but i tried another method, using the insert cable, and letting one of the TS ends hang, dummy-like, (i tried both sides, ring and tip) to see if it would output, but that didn't work.

My goal is to have 8 more outputs coming from pro-toools, for a total of 16 outputs (i can output 8 from the 002 rack), into my mixing board, where i can do a mix.

PLEASE HELP! Very confused. I've been told also that getting a plug in like Mellow Muse will help with latency issues when outputting stuff.

thanks.
Ummmm -- you might wish to RTFM.

The DigiMax LT is analog input to ADAT output. It is NOT a DAC so it cannot be used as you describe.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

chad_strung
studio intern

Post by chad_strung » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:07 am

Andy, check this link out to the manual:

http://www.wikirecording.org/PreSonus_D ... _Example_1

Doesn't this mean the inserts can be used in this fashion?

What you are saying though, is that if the unit could be used as a DAC, an option for it would come up when i try to route the output or the bus in pro tools? If that is the case, what is it that Pre Sonus is offering here at the above link to the manual?
chad_strung

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:41 am

chad_strung wrote:Andy, check this link out to the manual:

http://www.wikirecording.org/PreSonus_D ... _Example_1

Doesn't this mean the inserts can be used in this fashion?
No. This means, if you're using the DigiMax LT as a mic preamp, you can split off an analog output signal from the preamp, in addition to the digital output that leaves the unit via ADAT optical.

You could use the Digimax LT to get 8 more channels INTO your PTLE rig. But, since it doesn't have any digital INPUT or DA converters onboard, you cannot use it for additional OUTPUTS from PT.
What you are saying though, is that if the unit could be used as a DAC, an option for it would come up when i try to route the output or the bus in pro tools?
Exactly.
If that is the case, what is it that Pre Sonus is offering here at the above link to the manual?
I guess that they're offering a way to mult the output from the mic preamps.... Maybe this would be useful if you don't have a way of monitoring inputs on your DAW without latency. You could send to your DAW with the digital cable, and split off from the inserts to monitor in real time via a mixer or something.

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:03 am

The analog inserts can also be used as analog outputs using the "hanging tip" method as described (which mirror the digital output).

You'd do this if you want the signal to go somewhere other than out the lightpipe to protools. Like to an outboard metering system, or for a no-latency monitoring setup, or to go through some other gear and then in to your recorder via an analog path.

You can't use them as you initially describe.

For an additional 8 outs (i.e. to be able to board mix 16 tracks) you can look into the Alesis AI-3, a low-cost 8 channel lightpipe i/o box. There are also more expensive alternatives.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:50 pm

The digimax FS will do what you're looking to accomplish. So will the behringer ada8000, the Alesis AI-3...there's also some Aphex 1/2 rack units and IIRC a fostex that will also do this on the cheap. No shortage of more expensive units that will do it too.

chad_strung
studio intern

Post by chad_strung » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:48 pm

ok, then to sum it up, everybody agrees that the DigiMax LT will NOT be able, with any sort of cable modification, etc, to give me 8 extra analog outputs that I can send into my console, to do a stereo mix (to 1/4 inch tape)?
chad_strung

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:58 pm

chad_strung wrote:ok, then to sum it up, everybody agrees that the DigiMax LT will NOT be able, with any sort of cable modification, etc, to give me 8 extra analog outputs that I can send into my console, to do a stereo mix (to 1/4 inch tape)?
this is correct.

it is A to D only. Period.

Well, and mic pre to line ouput.

chad_strung
studio intern

Post by chad_strung » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:23 pm

one more thing, when i'm researching a unit for this operation, what exactly is it called that i am looking for? DA? 8 analog outputs?
chad_strung

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:03 pm

Yes. You want an 8 channel DA (digital to analog) converter with ADAT optical input and analog output. At the lower end of the scale, you're more likely to find an 8 channel AD/DA. Look for a used Frontier Tango 24. It'll be better than the Alesis or Behringer converters, and they're pretty cheap if you can find one used.

cstocker77
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cstocker77 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:03 am

Are the pre amps of the Frontier similar/better/worse than those on the Pre Sonus? If i got one of these units, the DigiMaxLT wouldn't even be need, right, because this would do everything the LT did and more...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:20 am

The Frontier box doesn't have any microphone preamps. It is only a AD/DA converter box. No other bells or whistles. 1/4" TRS for analog i/o and ADAT optical for digital i/o. It does one thing and does it very well at a really affordable price.

I've had two of these and sold them both when I upgraded converters. I really wish I had one of them back for my small, remote rig.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:25 pm

cstocker77 wrote:Are the pre amps of the Frontier similar/better/worse than those on the Pre Sonus? If i got one of these units, the DigiMaxLT wouldn't even be need, right, because this would do everything the LT did and more...
if you're looking for something in the same ballpark as the LT for preamps, but with DA conversion, the presonus FS is pretty close...the LT and FS are similarly priced on the used market.