How do you provide direct link to a song?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

How do you provide direct link to a song?

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:39 am

Hey guys,

For the 'listening to my stuff' section, I'd like to throw something up on there without having to provide a link to myspace. Do you need a web page to be able to do that?

Who generally hosts these links, where you can click right on the link and it plays in quicktime or whatever.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:55 am

I went in on getting some server space with some friends, which we all use to FTP our stuff onto. You might consider this...it's pretty cheap if you do it collectively.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:57 am

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:41 pm

I'm a big fan of Soundcloud. Their free plan is limited to 5 uploads per month, and 10 songs visible at once but the player is great, the sound quality is too, and the community is fantastic and growing. The only downside is their Pro plan costs a fortune.

If you've got a Google account, you can set up a Google Site. I think there's 100 mb available.
It doesn't open right up to a quicktime player (like the old Google Pages did), but folks will be able to download your stuff.
I just created a page, attached a file to it and copied the link. It took just a few minutes.

That said, after pursuing the free avenue for quite a while, I've given in and purchased hosting. Between work and fun, I've now used 2 different hosting companies and I'll gladly tell you all about them if you'd like.

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

-3db
gettin' sounds

Post by -3db » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:41 am

Another option is to sign up for SoundClick http://www.soundclick.com/

You can upload original MP3s there
Um excuse me, these headphones aren't working...

L-ROX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by L-ROX » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:02 am

What you're looking for is the ability to hyperlink to a file. A lot of services don't allow hyperlinking, like myspace for example. I'm not sure if Soundclick allows this but I usually see links to the artists' Soundclick pages (so when you click on the link, your browser takes you to their page, and doesn't play back the audio file as you've mentioned).

Once you get your own server, or a server that allows you to hyperlink to files from anything that supports HTML, you can then create a link to the file with the following HTML tag:

http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/html_links.asp

(I tried typing out the tag here, but this forum doesn't allow it, but look at the first tag example on that page).