What to do with newly acquired space?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

What to do with newly acquired space?

Post by kslight » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Hey...sorry first post, long time Tape-Op reader, new forum subscriber... Well I just bought a house (hooray!) and with it came this lovely pseudo-finished basement... For the last 5 years or so I've been really aching to have my own recording space within my house, rather than having to rent out a pro studio or...make extreme compromises due to neighbors/rented construction. The basement isn't really the main reason I bought the house, but I think I'm ready to get back into recording again (been sort of off and on for a long time...graduated with a degree in recording technology, did a sound for film internship for a while, as well as some freelance work with a couple big name artists, but not enough to get me in the door at any studio at a salary that I can live on...and also done some stuff with a couple of my own bands, but that's about it) and that I can make it work.

What I'm really looking to turn it into is a decent-sounding tracking, mixing, and practicing environment. The basement is and as far as I can tell has always been dry, so that is not an issue. The size is pretty okay, and while you can't see it from the pictures, there is a decent size utility room on the right side of the room which I could probably cut into and make a small iso space if I had to, as well as an unfinished closet to the left that could probably be finished easily, and the basement walks to a 2 car garage, so if for some reason I really needed more isolation, I could put someone in there.

What I want to decide on is if I should leave it an "open" room, or if it is worth trying to make a control room also (or if that will eat up too much space, budget). I personally think I'd be fine with the open environment for now and don't think that'd be an issue. Also, right now the floor is frieze carpet...brand new actually, would it make sense to rip this out and replace it with something else, or is it not worth it? What would I replace it with? The walls currently are that cheapo paneling that's really thin....I'm definitely planning on replacing that, as I was kind of hoping to be able to hang guitars/shelves on the walls, and its definitely not sturdy enough for that. The ceiling isn't all that high, probably 7 feet. When I take down the wall paneling I will probably want to run some cables in the walls so there isn't a huge mess of wires everywhere...

So I guess then what should I consider acoustically in this room? I do have to operate on some kind of budget, but I am willing to put some money into it...though I'd rather avoid doing too many things that wouldn't add to the resale value of the house, I'm not planning on selling the house in the next 5 years or so probably, but that doesn't mean I won't 10 years down the line. I'd really like to be able to track drums/other instruments down here decently, maybe not a full band at once space considering.

Things to consider... I'm not a commercial engineer at this point, but would like to at least be able to offer some kind of recording services in my home rather than the added expense of going to a pro room... Still, most of this investment is for my personal use only, I don't expect to make a huge return on it or make a day job out of it. I can probably do most of the construction myself or I can get help if I need it...so labor will be free. I would like to remain value conscious in the investment into the room...would like to DIY everything that's reasonably possible, and only focus on the major issues rather than the small details. And I'd like to keep the room pseudo-useful if I sold the house, as in, a room that would be able to still serve other purposes.

Thanks for any insight any of you folks may offer...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:23 pm

I've worked out of a basement for the past 5 years with good results.. I moved in with it finished, much like yours. I had enough space to wall off a control room as well, and had a "utility room" also, that served as an iso booth. I've been renting, but the landlord was a bandmate and an old friend so i could talk him into certain things... however with some degree of it being removed when my time ended.. I just have to unplug the window, pull down some treatment and knock down a small wall and sliding glass door used to separate the control and live room.

I don't have the best or even great room layouts, but with time i learned how to work with it. I made it work. So yeah, it is possible.. I guess it all depends on how much time, money, effort you're willing to put into it.

I look forward to having my "own" place someday, as an owner, or even a long term commercial lease.. but i worry about how much time and money I can throw into that to make it more "ideal".

I started having better results tracking basics in a "real" studio and overdubbing/mixing at my place... but at the same time... i've had some great success with projects done completely at my place...

You should post a general drawing of the layout of the basement, with dimensions. People probably would be able to help you out on what is the best way to make it happen. Including the control room or not aspect.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:37 am

There is also the highly recommended book "build it like the pros" by Rod Gervais

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:28 pm

Okay I'll see if I can put together some dimensions here in the next couple of days... I have a large acoustics text as well as several studio books leftover from when I was in college, I just need to dig through those to get some ideas I guess. I realize it can only be as good as what I can afford to put into it...I was just hoping to maybe get some budget ideas so I know what to expect from what kind of investment...et cetera.

Thanks, will check out the book.