How do I set the recording level on my Alesis Masterlink?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

How do I set the recording level on my Alesis Masterlink?

Post by thereminman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:58 pm

I have read the manual. I've been over it and over it.
You know, most recorders have somewhere where you set the level as the music comes in----I can't find such a thing here.
I read where you can change the level of an existing and saved track....but not where you can set the level as stuff comes in for the first time.
I know I can turn the master fader of my outboard mixer up and down....but that's not what I'm after here.
It seems so simple....but I can't find it. I'm sure it's just me and my simple mind.

Any help is appreciated and I thank you for it.

snatchman
george martin

Re: How do I set the recording level on my Alesis Masterlink

Post by snatchman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 pm

thereminman wrote:I have read the manual. I've been over it and over it.
You know, most recorders have somewhere where you set the level as the music comes in----I can't find such a thing here.
I read where you can change the level of an existing and saved track....but not where you can set the level as stuff comes in for the first time.
I know I can turn the master fader of my outboard mixer up and down....but that's not what I'm after here.
It seems so simple....but I can't find it. I'm sure it's just me and my simple mind.

Any help is appreciated and I thank you for it.
I think you are limited to having to deal with the signal via your console's master fader or something else in-line ( ie. compressor,EQ, etc.). If you don't want active circuits in between the console and Masterlink, maybe give the ATTY a try. I have a MasterLink and I haven't found an input level control either..!.. :oops:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:19 am

Yep, there's no way to calibrate the input on the Masterlink.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

Post by thereminman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:04 am

Isn't that odd though?
Every other type of "tape recorder" that I've ever had has an input level control.
Anyone else think this is odd?
Am I still missing something?

Byll
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Byll » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:16 am

The Masterlink is not a tape recorder. It is capable of receiving both analog and digital signals, either through its own A/D converters - or through the S/PDIF inputs. If analog and digital attenuators would have been added to the unit, they would have added cost - for no real gain (no pun intended). If analog gain would have been desired, this would have entailed amplification stages - hence, more expense.

I cannot think of any use for the Masterlink, where it would be fed from a source, that would not have some type of master gain/attenuation on its output. I concur that the lack of an input control is an oddity. However, we have used Masterlinks for a lot of years, and have never needed an input pad or gain stage. Post-recording digital gain is available, inside the Masterlink software. If separate input attenuation is ever needed, there are a number of products, available.

Best to you.
Byll
'Everything Matters'

Lisa Diane Cope
1963-1979