Advice on this digital home studio setup

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joelmoore
pushin' record

Advice on this digital home studio setup

Post by joelmoore » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:41 am

Does anyone know if this computer http://www.applepalace.com/apple-mac/ap ... 56ll-a.asp is solid enough for home recording and video editing? I'm upgrading from a G4 MDD Dual 867. From all I'm reading it seems the consensus is to spend a little more for the intel iMac vs. paying less for the G5 tower. I have no experience with iMacs. Any thoughts?

Also what do you guys think of this http://www.zzounds.com/item--MTUULMK3 in conjunction with the iMac?

I've been using the MOTU 1224 (324 PCI Core) with the G4.

I'm working with around $1400 or so budget.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:14 pm

You won't be able to use the PCI card with the iMac.

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:41 pm

roscoenyc wrote:You won't be able to use the PCI card with the iMac.
Yes I know. I wont be able to use it with any new Mac - iMac or G5 tower or otherwise. My interface hardware (Motu PCI 324 Core) is only compatible with the G4 PPC and my Software (Digital Performer 4.6 is only compatible with OS 10.1 - 10.4. And I'm also maxxed out with RAM at 2GB.

My problem is that I need more power than the G4 can give even with 2GB of Ram. So if I am to upgrade my Computer I have to upgrade my interface. It's just the way it is for me.

So I was looking into a G5 tower but I've been reading that the better use of my money is to get an Intel iMac for a couple hundred more. The trade-off being that of sacrificing expandability for much faster processing speeds. Or so I'm being led to believe. And since I don't have any experience with the Intel iMacs or any other iMac I came here thinking that someone who has owned one or may own one now might have some relative thoughts that could aid in my upcoming purchase.

So it's either get a G5 tower and buy a new PCIe 424 Core card ($295) and keep my 1224 unit or switch entirely to a Firewire interface into an Intel iMac which apparently runs faster than the G5 and costs only a fraction more.

One way or the other all my base are belong to Mac!

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:55 am

I've got an Intel iMac that I use as my music rig at home. It works great
for what I use it for. (Have HD-2 at the studio)
I'm a believer in keeping software and operating systems current.

My advices would be to buy a new computer. deals can be had on the versions just one generation behind. Get your RAM from Crucial and you'll save a bunch.

Crocoduck5000
ass engineer

Post by Crocoduck5000 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:25 am

Joel, iMacs are great.

But the deal you posted is far worse than this one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB417 ... TA4MzIzNTI

Much faster, directly from Apple, same warranty, more RAM, etc. I have purchased many refurbished Macs directly from the Apple store for friends and family and have never had any complaints.

Best of luck!

j.welch
audio school graduate

Post by j.welch » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:35 am

Joel, definitely go for an iMac, they're brilliant! I agree entirely with Crocoduck5000 as well, you're gonna want that extra RAM and you'll be glad of an Apple warranty.

Haven't used the MOTO I'm afraid. I used to run pro tools from just an MBox and an old iBook 1.42GHz and I managed to get by, I then upgraded to a 20" iMac 2.33 and my life changed completely!

What software are you going to be using?
--
James Welch
MasterLink Productions
www.masterlinksouth.co.uk

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:40 am

yeah I'm looking at the 24" Intel Core 2 Duo iMacs + either the (MOTU) UltraLite-mk3, the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or the Mackie Onyx 1220.

Not sure yet on the interface but I'm pretty much decided about the Core 2 Duo Intel iMac over the G5 tower.

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:49 am

j.welch wrote:I used to run pro tools from just an MBox and an old iBook 1.42GHz and I managed to get by,
I started out recording digital with a beige G3 desktop through the built-in RCA inputs from the outputs of the mixer section an Akai Cassette 4 track. Sheesh! But for 1999 and no budget it wasn't really a bad setup.
What software are you going to be using?
I've been using Digital Performer but I've never really been comfortable with it. It has alot of stuff I just don't use/need and most of it takes an MIT grad to figure out. I'd like to make a clean break altogether on all fronts. I'm going to have to keep it around in order to have access to my current mixes - unless there's a way to import them into other programs. I'm thinking of going with Logic but I've not ever used it. Got any suggestions?

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:37 am

Crocoduck5000 wrote:Joel, iMacs are great.

But the deal you posted is far worse than this one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB417 ... TA4MzIzNTI

Much faster, directly from Apple, same warranty, more RAM, etc. I have purchased many refurbished Macs directly from the Apple store for friends and family and have never had any complaints.

Best of luck!
THANKS!!! I really didn't want that huge chunk of white plastic glaring at me.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Sounds like you're on a great path with the machine. Lots of great advice on here...

DEFINITELY check out the new Logic Studio if you're switching DAW's. Much like what you've found with DP, it may take years to be able to utilize everything there... but the stuff you need to use is fantastic.

When I switched to Logic (7.0) from Pro Tools as my main DAW (been a minute...), the clouds parted and a light came down from above... ok, well, maybe not THAT drastic, but pretty enlightening none the less. And each new version makes me love it even more...

As a songwriter/musician, Logic absolutely rocks. It's much easier for me to stay in 'creative' mode than it is in PT (although, to be fair, PT8 is WAY better now...). If I'm recording somebody else, I'm at home in either as an engineer. But when it comes to my writing and recording, Logic kicks the tar out of anything else I've tried. I can work quickly, efficiently, and creatively without quickly going into technical vibe derailment mode. :)

FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, ROTFLOL, and all that mumbo jumbo...
Last edited by woodhenge on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
insert witty comment here...

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:08 pm

roscoenyc wrote:I've got an Intel iMac that I use as my music rig at home. It works great
for what I use it for. (Have HD-2 at the studio)
I'm a believer in keeping software and operating systems current.

My advices would be to buy a new computer. deals can be had on the versions just one generation behind. Get your RAM from Crucial and you'll save a bunch.
ditto.

I'm a pro tools le user and 7.4 and 8 have run without a hitch on my iMac for the last few years. I use leopard now....and have been waiting to upgrade to snow leopard until a little time passes and everything is working as it should.

Crucial is a great deal for RAM, and adding new RAM is really simple in the iMacs. Just make sure you know what it comes with. 2 x 512's, 1 gb or what not, so you know what to buy to maximize the two slots you have available.