M- Audio Monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

M- Audio Monitors

Post by thegeek » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:20 pm

Are hey any good? I was looking at the CX 5... the DSM line is a bit out of my price range.

But I'm trying to pick out a decent pair of monitors for about $500 - $600.

Any other suggestions?

ddorman
studio intern

Post by ddorman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:12 am

I'm not a fan of the BX series, I have heard the EX66's which were pretty decent but haven't had a chance to listen to any of the CX series. I have a set of Samson Rubicon R5a's that I've come to like quite a bit. They're pretty neutral and don't fatigue my ears quickly. Depending on what your working with, you might want a sub with them though. I also like KRK stuff quite a bit too.

Studio2roll
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Studio2roll » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:32 am

I've been using a pair of M-Audio BX8-a's for about 3 years that I really like. To me they blew away other monitor's in that price range when I bought them. Haven't tested them against anything new to come out. But for the price the response is resonably flat (I used a SPL meter and frequency sweeps to check it out) and full with a relaxed high end. I found a lot of the other monitors in this range have a harsh, hyped up high end that I can't sit in front of for long; but I could mix on the BX8-a's all day.
"It's not who wants to sleep with you, it's who wants to sleep with you again."

-David Lee Roth

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:12 am

CX5s are stellar! I'd avoid the EX66, they've had a few problems. Nice sounding monitor, but I've had a few break. I'd go the CX5 route, sound a lot like my genelecs for half the price.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:30 am

I really like my EX66's. I got a great deal on a new pair ($400 shipped on eBay) and compared to everything else I've ever used (NS-10M, HR824s, V8s, 1031As) they are my favorite.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:30 pm

CX series offers some simplistic "tuning" features ala a 3 band EQ operated via 3 way toggle switches. Makes them useable if you have to get right up on a wall. The EX66s are a little tizzy on the highs to me, and the CX series is rather smiley-faced - the comparison to Genelcs is fair, though the Genelecs are definitely higher quality. With less anomalies caused by the cabinet design (that bean shape) and drastically lower resonance (thank you, aluminum). Now, for your price point, the M-Audio's are an ok buy. I recommend turning on the mid boost on. This helps get them a little bit flatter, otherwise your mids are almost entirely sucked out. Realistically, I like the CX series, and would put them in my home theater, but I wouldn't want to mix projects on them.

See if you can find a pair of Tannoy Reveal 5As somewhere (or just save a little more). They're $700 new for a pair and are much, much better than even the CX series.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:32 pm

minorleagues wrote:I really like my EX66's. I got a great deal on a new pair ($400 shipped on eBay) and compared to everything else I've ever used (NS-10M, HR824s, V8s, 1031As) they are my favorite.
Sorry to double post - but yes. I TOTALLY agree with this as well. If you're deadset on MAudio for some reason, get the EX66s. They highs are a little whacky, but you can get used to it. Plus they burn in a little, over time.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:43 pm

not dead set on anything right now...

I auditioned a pair of JBLs recently that really liked...