Ghost will not power up

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

daysleeper
pluggin' in mics

Ghost will not power up

Post by daysleeper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:13 pm

Hello,

I just walked into the studio to find that the Soundcraft Ghost is not getting any power, even though the power supply seems to be turning on.

I left the board on when I left the studio last night at around 1am and now I just got to the studio to start a session and I'm not getting any sound from the board. None of the lights are turning on either, except for the led on the power supply.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:21 pm

In the order of likelihood, this week, cuz it's cold.
If your studio is very cold, it could have shrunk the size of the pins and they won't make contact till they warm?
You may have blown a fuse in the PS?
Which supply are you using?
Which lights are lit on the PS?
Your supply may have gone down on one side which should make the whole thing go down, but, if it didn't, things could be worse/better depending on if you are insured.
Harumph!

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:17 pm

If you're savvy, disconnect the console end of the power cable, and poke in it with a multimeter, taking care not to short anything together. If you see no DC voltage at all, I'd suspect there are fuses internal to the supply that are blown.

daysleeper
pluggin' in mics

Post by daysleeper » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:23 am

Hey thanks for the replies. I wound up opening up the power supply and finding a blown fuse. Going to replace it today and see what happens.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:18 am

Make sure when you replace it that you have BOTH fuses on the 15+ & - are the same value or the desk will burn up if one blows. If the are both exactly the same, the desk is safe. Very important.
Harumph!

seriousbusiness
audio school

Post by seriousbusiness » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:54 am

Hey all ... i run the studio with the Ghost with the fried power supply. I ran around Manhattan visiting 8 (count 'em) 8 hardware stores, electric supply stores and radio shacks and no one carries the proper 10-Amp / 250-Volt 3/4" glass fuse that we need to hopefully fix this power supply.

a little back story: last night when we opened up the power supply we found 4 fuses in there, each one covered by a little plastic protector thingy, and one of these plastic protector thingies was badly melted so it took me an hour to shave down the melted plastic and to remove the potentially blown fuse. the fuse itself does not look blown in the typical way a fuse looks blown although it is cloudy and certainly is the most likely culprit.

talking to Milton at Dale Pro right now and hopefully he'll make me a happy man.

http://www.seriousbusinessmusic.com

http://www.seriousbusinessrecords.com

http://www.twitter.com/seriousbizrec

seriousbusiness
audio school

Post by seriousbusiness » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:07 am

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:36 am

I had to get buss fuses the same value and retrofit mine, no biggie.
Harumph!

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:02 am

seriousbusiness wrote: the fuse itself does not look blown in the typical way a fuse looks blown although it is cloudy and certainly is the most likely culprit.
The best way to check a fuse is with a multimeter. You should read close to zero ohms. Sometimes fuses look fine but are actually open. Cloudyness usually means its blown.