ipod Touch + iPhone apps: whatcha got??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bellulah
gettin' sounds

Post by bellulah » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:42 pm

gawsh... i haven't posted here in so long! i just linger, and watch all the advice flow... but i wanted to chime in on this ipod touch app business.

i'll second the bebot app. it lets you pretty much define what key and scale you work with, and you can even select to "snap" to the notes or a bend.

minisynth and ellatron are both cool synth programs, also pretty cheap as well. minisynth especially has a crazy amount of customization to offer.

and the other big one in my book is beatmaker. it could literally be the only drum machine you need. you can arrange samples, tune them... all kinds of shit. and unlike most things, once you program a beat (it's not unlike tracker programs), you can save it and then through wi-fi send that to your home computer, meaning you get the full fidelity of the samples. the samples themselves are sometimes hard to find on the ole internets, but usually worth it once you do find them.

there me two pennies worth!!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:52 pm

I just got Pro Remote light. It's like pro transport but it also gives you control over 8 faders at a time and let's you see the meters when you're recording.
I've been doing bunch of piano tracks and my piano is in a different part of the house than the studio. Being able to see the meters is pretty great but the response time on them is terrible and the transport controls are very tiny and flakey. Pro Transport is much better laid out. Glad I didn't shell out the $100 for the full version.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:15 pm

What's a good mic that also let's you hear, for overdubs?

The griffin thingy I got is terrible.

For the iPod touch.

Got one for x-mas.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:22 am

Just got Gigbaby and Retro Recorder. The former is a $0.99 4-track, the latter is just a straight up recorder by McDsp (it has some new format that they claim is better/louder, seem louder in my tests. Gigbaby is pretty damn cool for a buck. The also have Gigdaddy for $3 which has panning, some editing, and such. The transfer of tracks for both is a little clunky, but it works. I think these things are pretty great for when you're sitting around with the gitbox and you hit on something.

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:04 pm

I like Four Track a bit more than GigBaby. Just a better UI, for me. I use it to record "demos" and ideas, vocal harmonies, etc. Also, you can sync with Doppler Pad (synth), which I must admit I've only dabbled with. The maker also promises a future link with their drum machine app.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:08 pm

Got an iPhone a couple of months ago and this was the first place I went to look for some musical uses. My favorites thus far:

Jasuto:
a modular synth app with a new paradigm, great for sampling, sequencing, importing audio, looping, so fun. My #1. Please check out his youtube vids.
http://www.jasuto.com/home/

Peterson iStrobosoft:
Peterson virtual strobe tuner for iPhone. Look no further.

Beatmaker:
Good drum machine w/ ability to import samples. Maybe not a replacement for the real thing but lots of fun.

Mobilesynth:
OK written by a friend but nice, basic synth w/ 2 osc's, arpeggios, hold button, and... FREE!

iTablaPro:
WAY OVERPRICED but real good, great options, customizable but stay away from their iLehra, also way overpriced and not good.

ThumbJam:
Newest one i've tried. Not really much more than for fun but instant fun. Hard for me to describe: Allows you to play an instrument on a scale and key of your choosing then record and/or loop and overdub. You can write, record a string quartet in about 5 mins, maybe not a good one but still f-ing fun. The number scales available to play on is quite a list!

Honorable mentions:
Bloom - soothing....
Tap the Beat: counts bpm per tapping, free!

OK now things I'm looking for, usually too many options and not sure which is best:
What DAW you guys using? Obviously just for demos not looking to replace anything.
SPL meter? and/or Freq analyzer?
And while this has been addressed in other threads is there anybody have great results remotely controlling their DAW w/ the iPhone? I've tried using the Cubase remote app successfully, I got it working but lag time, inconsistency makes it unusable.

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:30 pm

I've got an iPhone 4 on the way, from looking around these are probably going to be my first acquisitions:

http://www.blipinteractive.co.uk - Nanostudio, gets rave reviews everywhere.

http://www.agilepartners.com/apps/guitartoolkit/ - Good for giving me no excuse to practice some scales.

http://iphone.icegear.net/argon/ - A pocket monosynth for practically nothing.

I'd buy a Kaossilator with arpeggiator in no time. Can't seem to find anything interesting with an arp.

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:33 am

Just got an iphone 4 and im looking to get a daw for quick band demos. Anyone ever check out "multitrack DAW?" 24 freakin tracks! I also have a Belkin tune talk which isn't compatible with the phone(yet) but i want to use that to get some stereo tracks into this DAW...unless someone knows of a better one? Fourtrack looks pretty cool. I also have an ipod touch which does accept the tune talk so i could always purchace the daw on that.

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:37 am

Moog Filtatron is so my favorite app right now! Anyone with an iphone that likes to quickly improvise ambient - cluster - or animal collective - loop based type stuff and such should buy this asap. Not sure if these things, (iphones, pads, apps, etc...) will ever evolve to become popular instruments of music creation but this is super fun.

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:46 pm

austingreen wrote:Moog Filtatron is so my favorite app right now! Anyone with an iphone that likes to quickly improvise ambient - cluster - or animal collective - loop based type stuff and such should buy this asap.
Totally great app, it's about to go up a few bucks in price so grab it now.

I use FunkBox all the time. It's a simple drum machine with sounds from 70s boxes, easy to program your own patterns and loads of fun. I've always loved the CR-78 and Maestro Rhythm King sounds and I can't get enough of whipping this program out on the bus and jamming out quick little beats with them.

SampleToy is really fun, now that I have the Blue Mikey I've been sampling into it more than ever.

SoundPrism is like an Omnichord, real useful for pads and such.

Nanoloop is a port of the Gameboy tracker, lotta fun for getting that 8-bit feel.

And I end up with a lot of pleasure out of the iDrum RZA app. As a huge Wu-Tang fan it definitely makes me feel awesome to make beats with his classic sounds.
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:05 am

Veggie Samurai and Fruit Ninja are very good! :lol:

I also have the Gearslutz app. :oops: Hell, it kills time when you're waiting what can i say...