Steven Massey (of Massey plug-ins) getting screwed by Nady

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kinger
steve albini likes it

Re: Reply from Nady

Post by kinger » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:50 pm

2sides wrote:Hi Steve,

I have to say I was quite stunned and disturbed by your February 22 web-posting and particularly by your decision to make our current dispute public with such a harshly worded, one-sided view of the situation.

Let me begin by saying that I?m sincerely sorry things have deteriorated to the point that they have. Our intention was never to mislead, cover up, or misrepresent the truth in any way and I honestly do not believe that we did. In retrospect, however, I do believe you perhaps made some incorrect assumptions about the rental space. As a matter of record, the space that you leased has been used as a very successful professional recording studio for more than 20 years. There are several other leased spaces within the building including a few used by musicians for practice/rehearsal purposes. This fact was never hidden from you, nor would we have any reason to try to hide it from you. It would make no sense to do so. We?re not in the business of bamboozling prospective tenants or trying to take advantage of people. If we were, we?d have no tenants, nor would they stick around for many years, as they have, making good use of their rented space.

From our perspective, we?ve tried to be as cooperative and helpful as possible since the start of your lease. As you know we immediately addressed your concerns about the unexpected roof leak, the sliding door lock, and even agreed to extend the lease start date by a couple of weeks at your request. As your main contact during the leasing process I?ve tried to be as helpful and responsive as possible, and so for you to characterize me as indifferent, unconcerned, and dishonest is frankly inaccurate and unfair.

Also inaccurate and unfair are your representations regarding the timeline and information you were given. Although the lease agreement states that the ?premises would only be used for software development?, part-time recording use was also discussed. You were, in fact, originally told this building also contained band rehearsal rooms and you could easily have inquired into possible noise matters if this was a concern of yours before signing the lease, as well as before signing the addendum two weeks later for the delayed starting date. In addition, last Sunday, February 21, you were told by a long-time tenant of the building that almost all the rehearsals are on Wednesday nights, with only sporadic practice on other evenings. Certainly the vast majority of time during the week was available for your intended use. In fact you commented to two independent witnesses last Sunday, after being informed of typical rehearsal schedules, that ?you could easily work around that? and ?would be moving in this week.?

Given this scenario, we honestly have no idea what the true reason is that you wish to break your one-year lease. But whatever the reason, we see absolutely no justification for your slanderous attacks and threats against our company. Your decision to broadcast an unfortunate personal business dispute across the Internet is improper, inappropriate, and unethical, and I hope your supporters can now see that our current differences are much less one-sided than as represented in your Feb 22 letter. ?Shame on Nady? has been the general response we?ve received from your camp since you went public with this, but I daresay that shame has been misdirected.

We fully understand that when attorneys enter the picture things tend to take on a different tone. Both John and I would have been happy to speak with you directly as we do with other tenants, but once we received your inflammatory letter of Feb 7 and your follow-up e-mail, this no longer seemed a reasonable option. I hope you see that now in retrospect.

Clearly the situation we now find ourselves in is unfortunate. Your space has been off the market for almost 2 months based on your commitment to lease it, resulting in lost leasing opportunities. The situation is by no means as clear-cut and one-sided as described in your Feb 22 web-posting of condemnation (inexplicably made the day after you said you?d be moving in this week after all). Like you, we are also part of the pro audio community and greatly value this community. Sniping at us as you have by way of the Internet is a low blow and a disappointing response to say the least. Although things have now escalated, we propose trying to work things out as fairly and amicably as possible. If you?d like to meet with John and me, please let me know by return email and we can try to set up a meeting in the next few days. I?m still hopeful we can resolve our differences without further escalation. If not, we have no choice but to rely on the legal system to help resolve this dispute.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Toby
You forgot the tildes around this post...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:42 pm

ott0bot wrote:I'm so glad this thread turned into a comedy bit. It was getting way to serious for this forum. :D
Seems to happen once a thread hits the 4th page around here :) .

Anyway most irritating song, my vote would go for anything from Merzbow's "Venereology". You would be hard pressed to find anything more extreme than that. (I like that album btw).

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:45 pm

By the way, one of the admins over at Gearslutz seems to have completed deleted (not just locked) the Massey thread over there:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-zon ... ugins.html

And also Massey has taken down his posting on site.

rollmottle
ass engineer

Post by rollmottle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:33 pm

leigh wrote:By the way, one of the admins over at Gearslutz seems to have completed deleted (not just locked) the Massey thread over there:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-zon ... ugins.html

And also Massey has taken down his posting on site.
"Feb 27th update: Great news! We've arranged a meeting on Monday to resolve the office lease problem you may have heard about."

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:43 am

ah! a resolution! that's always a good thing. my next suggestion involved settling this once and for all with some indian leg wrestling...

RedCrownStudios
pushin' record

Post by RedCrownStudios » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:02 am

So what ever happened with this?
Marshall Baker
Media Designer
Tulsa, Ok
www.MarshallBaker.com
www.MarshallandRoxy.com

Duckmandu
audio school

Toby and John Nady are scam artists

Post by Duckmandu » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:46 pm

I can't believe this post! I wish I had seen it before I got scammed. Toby Nady pulled almost the exact same thing on me, down to not disclosing the band practice rooms, but it's actually worse. Among the bait-and-switch techniques:

All of our discussions were about RESIDENTIAL or DUAL USE leases. They lease they gave me (which I unfortunately signed under pressure), was a COMMERCIAL lease. I have checked into this with an attorney, and this is an illegal business practice.

There was floor damage in the performance space, which Toby Nady claimed was either a bad installation job, or that she didn't know. That was a lie; she did know. The reason for the floor damage was a roof leak which the Nadys refused to fix for the previous tenant.

There were other lies and deceptions which I won't go into now.

I put thousands into this space hoping to create a community of musicians and artists with practice space onsite. I am now deep in debt and about to be homeless. I can't in good conscious sublet the rooms in this space (as I had planned to do) to anyone else. The Nadys support their EXTREMELY luxurious lifestyle on the backs of artists and anyone else unfortunate enough to enter into business relationships with them.

http://auxsend.net/blog/tag/massey-plugins/

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:37 pm

In the Bay area Hard Rock-Metal-Punk community, Nady has no love. Anyone old enough to remember the Stone and the Omni, Nady owned establishments, knows they were pay to play and pretty mean about it.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

PT
pushin' record

Re: Toby and John Nady are scam artists

Post by PT » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:55 am

Duckmandu, Just PM'd you about this subject.
Duckmandu wrote:I can't believe this post! I wish I had seen it before I got scammed. Toby Nady pulled almost the exact same thing on me, down to not disclosing the band practice rooms, but it's actually worse. Among the bait-and-switch techniques:

All of our discussions were about RESIDENTIAL or DUAL USE leases. They lease they gave me (which I unfortunately signed under pressure), was a COMMERCIAL lease. I have checked into this with an attorney, and this is an illegal business practice.

There was floor damage in the performance space, which Toby Nady claimed was either a bad installation job, or that she didn't know. That was a lie; she did know. The reason for the floor damage was a roof leak which the Nadys refused to fix for the previous tenant.

There were other lies and deceptions which I won't go into now.

I put thousands into this space hoping to create a community of musicians and artists with practice space onsite. I am now deep in debt and about to be homeless. I can't in good conscious sublet the rooms in this space (as I had planned to do) to anyone else. The Nadys support their EXTREMELY luxurious lifestyle on the backs of artists and anyone else unfortunate enough to enter into business relationships with them.

http://auxsend.net/blog/tag/massey-plugins/

soundandform
studio intern

Post by soundandform » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:26 pm

RedCrownStudios wrote:So what ever happened with this?
The Nady's went on a rad 4500 dollar vacation.

- Steven Massey