iPad...yeah, I bought one

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:10 am

Congrats! You've gotta be psyched. I'm not buying anything this year (I'm more concerned with getting my guitars out of the pawn shop) but if I was, I too would worry about buying version 1.0 - remember the big price drop that pissed off the first iPhone buyers?
Based on the last few years, I'm guessing the basic iPad will drop to $350 by the fall and include a jetpack.

Question: Is the sync port an effective workaround for the lack of a USB input?

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:38 am

dubphaser wrote:IElectribe and Touch OSC look really awesome. Check out createdigitalmusic.com's app round-up if you haven't already. http://bit.ly/azhniI
Have they come up with midi i/o for it? It would be pretty sweet if someone came out with a bluetooth keyboard/drum machine pad. Anyone heard of one?

All it needs to do now is some off-board wireless FX processing. And make mojitos. The good kind, not the kind that taste like they came from a powdered mix.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:55 am

tdbajus wrote:
dubphaser wrote:IElectribe and Touch OSC look really awesome. Check out createdigitalmusic.com's app round-up if you haven't already. http://bit.ly/azhniI
Have they come up with midi i/o for it? It would be pretty sweet if someone came out with a bluetooth keyboard/drum machine pad. Anyone heard of one?

All it needs to do now is some off-board wireless FX processing. And make mojitos. The good kind, not the kind that taste like they came from a powdered mix.
How about this?

http://line6.com/midimobilizer/

I'm sure it'll be a hit on the iPad...
insert witty comment here...

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:25 pm

Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:It will blend, btw.
That never gets old.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Awesome, I'm glad some engineers are seeing the potential of the iPad as a controller device.

I haven't been on here much recently because I have been programming a multitouch controller app which I'm pretty sure will make iPad believers out of all y'all. Just popping into the thread to build hype, really. :)
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:43 am

dynomike wrote:Awesome, I'm glad some engineers are seeing the potential of the iPad as a controller device.

I haven't been on here much recently because I have been programming a multitouch controller app which I'm pretty sure will make iPad believers out of all y'all. Just popping into the thread to build hype, really. :)
Details please!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:43 am

Or, here's a complete multitrack studio for the iPad, $40.

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/iphone/studiotrack/

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:27 pm

dubphaser wrote:
dynomike wrote:Awesome, I'm glad some engineers are seeing the potential of the iPad as a controller device.

Details please!
Imagine a controller built from the ground up for multitouch, rather than emulating analog controls.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:44 pm

dynomike wrote:
dubphaser wrote:

Details please!
Imagine a controller built from the ground up for multitouch, rather than emulating analog controls.
Man, that sounds cool. what's the ETA?

I've been struggling with AC-7 Pro, which is a drag, since it was a big reason why I bough the iPad. I'm having trouble getting it to link with my computer and when it does it crashes my wifi. The developer has been cool with help, but nothing seems to be working. Argh. There are a couple other controllers out there, one cheaper, one $100 (yikes!). Dunno what to do.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:19 pm

dynomike wrote:
dubphaser wrote:

Details please!
Yes, more details if you can! I am intrigued also - will it be MacOS only, or will it also work on Windows 7?

I ask because I am very closing to popping for one of the new IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad X201 Tablets, you know, for "work". http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/23/leno ... et-review/

But seriously, I actually do need to replace my four year old Gateway tablet, which is well on its last legs. I've been holding out for years, hoping that Apple would do the Tablet right. Hence my somewhat dissapointment at the iPad.

Not to knock the iPad - I'm sure it is way cool, and I wish I could afford one and a new notebook.

I was just a little sad that it is not a full powered notebook - I was reeeally hoping Apple would come out with a total Tablet/Notebook replacement. Maybe in a few more years, as they gather data from iPad users on how people interact with touch screens.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Really great, insightful criticism of the iPad.

http://boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i- ... ither.html

How is that Lenovo? :)

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:55 pm

I don't think that is a manifesto the world needs. The existence of the iPad will not cause all the Linux notebooks in the world to suddenlty self-destruct--you can have all the open sourceness you want. Plus, the iPod and iPad will both run DRM-free content as smoothly and easily as any other platform.

Furthermore, I think the notion of orphaned file formats and encryption schemes is a myth. In the real world, shit gets hacked instantly, and if a company goes out of business, they won't be there to re-up the DRM. If Amazon died tonight, you would be able to crack all your Kindle books first thing in the morning.

I personally have heard that kind of rant from Cory Doctorow so many fucking times that I'm beginning to actually admire Lars Ulrich.

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:16 pm

I was thinking more along the lines that it's less likely that there will be a version of Reaper, or MaxMSP, or Live for the iPad because Apple has been denying people access because their software competes with Apple's.

This does beg the question whether or not that's Apple's prerogative, since they designed it and manufactured it. I'm not so sure I would enjoy people telling me how I had to design the tdbajusPad.

Still, I like to tinker- I made my own amp, build my own pedals... And I am mightily sick of this new era of one-size-fits-all computing.

But, truth be told, I'm not likely to start learning how to program any time soon. I've got too many other irons in the fire- (I feel my resume is impressive enough to not lose sleep) but I can't help but think if I was the same kid that I was, only 25 years younger, it would probably be what I was doing instead of building radio controlled cars and boats.

Anyway, this closed system stuff is probably going to mean I buy a similar product from someone else. It's unlikely that I will find a Linux iPad-like device, so it will be Windows7 (which seems, still loved by all who use it). My tower in my studio is getting old, and since Reaper and Live both work on both platforms, maybe it's time to get another Windows box.

I wonder how many other people are going to feel the same way.

Still, people's fealty to Apple is hard to judge. I have a hard time being loyal to someone who makes my pay for the pleasure (or maybe I just like novelty) so I have never understood it.

[edit]

Of course, I do love my Metric Halo box, which they steadfastly refuse to write windows drivers for.

Sigh.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:06 pm

Well, there will be ample tablets in the near future that will run Reaper. There are some now, though not pure tablet devices. Personally, I think it would be something of a pain...I use the keyboard and mouse constantly and want a large screen.

I do think Apple's limitations will mean that the iPad never exceeds peripheral status for music.