Need a mic suggestion.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

willhouk
alignin' 24-trk

Post by willhouk » Fri May 14, 2010 5:54 pm

ott0bot wrote:
willhouk wrote: On a side note there was that TO article about how Sufjan Stevens recorded a whole album with 1 or 2 57s, and another mic I can't remember. It came out well I thought. Just my humble non-professional opinion.
It was the c1000s. And he couldn't figure out how to use it properly. but yeah, we coaxed some magic into those 57's...especailly since it was into a Roland recorder at an odd sample rate. Good songwriting and performence helped just a little.

When you say "we" does that mean you helped him record that album?

x2 on the good songwriting/performance line. That is definitely where it's at. You just can't polish a turd.
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri May 14, 2010 6:07 pm

willhouk wrote:
ott0bot wrote:
willhouk wrote: On a side note there was that TO article about how Sufjan Stevens recorded a whole album with 1 or 2 57s, and another mic I can't remember. It came out well I thought. Just my humble non-professional opinion.
It was the c1000s. And he couldn't figure out how to use it properly. but yeah, we coaxed some magic into those 57's...especailly since it was into a Roland recorder at an odd sample rate. Good songwriting and performence helped just a little.

When you say "we" does that mean you helped him record that album?

x2 on the good songwriting/performance line. That is definitely where it's at. You just can't polish a turd.
oops i meant "he"

but didn't we all help record those State themed albums, afterall "we" are the people and stuff. :P

janusmusic
pushin' record

Post by janusmusic » Sat May 15, 2010 9:23 am

Well some time ago I had a c1000 and ended up selling it. It just wasn't for me. I have heard some great things recorded with them. I just couldn't get comfortable with it.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat May 15, 2010 10:00 am

Do either of your recorders provide phantom power? If not, do you have a source for phantom power?

janusmusic
pushin' record

Post by janusmusic » Sat May 15, 2010 11:18 am

I use a yamaha mg10/2 little mixer that has 4xlr's with phantom and direct outs on the first two channels. I usually plug into the first two and record dry into the boss. Or I track a song on the 424mkII which has phantom and mix it and send a stereo mix to the boss and work from there...I'm kinda new to the digital thing and am learning that is a little more unforgiving than tape but the other benefits make it worth it.
Janus

janusmusic
pushin' record

Post by janusmusic » Sat May 15, 2010 11:20 am

One thing that confuses me about the mca sp1 is that I have read that it is the same capsule as the 603. Is it just a different housing? or a different mic completely?