effectron trick

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Galen Ulrich Elfert
gettin' sounds

effectron trick

Post by Galen Ulrich Elfert » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:05 am

This is a simple trick, and I'm sure I'm not the first to figure it out, but I thought I'd post it since everyone on this board and their grandmother seems to have one of these.

Next time you've got all the buttons popped, and the mix on the wet side for that distortion thing, try playing with the feedback. It works like a funky tone control. Positive feedback boosts the low end, negative feedback sucks it down. Kind of like a backwards tilt knob.

Cheers,
Galen

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:48 pm

Awesome! Thanks. I was just using mine in buttons-out mode for a mix session this morning. I'll definitely try that.

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:02 pm

nice tip. thanks!

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:39 am

are you using it as a limiter? like on snare?

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:29 am

i'm kinda confused by this.... if i want just the distortion on my super timeline, i just keep the mix knob on Source. all buttons out on mine is 1ms of delay...is it the same on yours? i'd only use that at "all wet" if i wanted to throw pitch modulation on something without actually delaying it much.

there is definitely a tonal difference between pos and neg feedback at any delay time, of course.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:14 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:i'm kinda confused by this.... if i want just the distortion on my super timeline, i just keep the mix knob on Source. all buttons out on mine is 1ms of delay...is it the same on yours? i'd only use that at "all wet" if i wanted to throw pitch modulation on something without actually delaying it much.

there is definitely a tonal difference between pos and neg feedback at any delay time, of course.
Yeah, I guess the effectron is a little different than your super timeline, because all buttons out is no delay at all. It's almost like bypass except the effectron has its own gain stage. For reasons, only someone with the diagrams, and the brain power to read them can tell you,- when you move around the feedback knob with no delay it does some subtle but really cool filtering.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: effectron trick

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:21 am

Will this trick work with an Effectron Jr. ? (Which I just bid on).

GJ

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:44 am

gotcha, thanks!

Galen Ulrich Elfert
gettin' sounds

Post by Galen Ulrich Elfert » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:22 pm

There is a very small delay even with all the buttons out, since it's still passing through the converters. All linear filters are basically very short delays, whether the time element is a capacitor/inductor in an analogue filter, or a delay line in a digital filter. When you tweak the feedback knob you're basically adjusting the coefficient in an infinite impulse response digital filter, except that the mixing stage is analogue, so it's actually a weird kind of hybrid.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: effectron trick

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:03 pm

Well, I guess I'll find out if it works with the "Jr.," because I got it for $40.

GJ