Offered work but not sure who the artist is

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:21 am

kingtoad wrote:Just to clarify again, this is not an overseas project, I am based in the UK.
Yeah, I was just saying that for the benefit of anyone who does encounter that situation. I'd still handle it with my normal policy, which always requires a 50% deposit and the balance due at the end of the session. If it's a major-label thing and they require terms, I charge a hefty fee for it, but I still require the 50% deposit to secure booking.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:20 pm

cgarges wrote:If it's a major-label thing and they require terms, I charge a hefty fee for it
Is it an itemized fee? What do you call it? Or, do you just factor that into your quoted rate?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:17 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:Is it an itemized fee? What do you call it? Or, do you just factor that into your quoted rate?
It's a fee for terms, with an additional late charge for payment made past the terms agreed upon. That way, if they ask for 30 days and them pull the, "Oh, our accountant didn't get the invoice and we only write checks on the 31st" BS, I get a substantial late fee applied to the invoice for each day they're late.

Obviously, the longer the terms, the larger the fee, but once the labels realize this, they usually agree to 30 days. It doesn't happen too often for me, though.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Offered work but not sure who the artist is

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:04 pm

kingtoad wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, primarily from the more experienced posters who have worked on big projects (Joel, Chris etc). I received an email a couple of days ago from a guy saying he was an assistant to "a well established UK band". He's looking for me to do some work with them. Anyway, a couple of emails back and forth and we spoke on the phone.

He outlined the broad terms etc on the phone but apologised that he still could not reveal any more details about the artist. He said that's just the way they work. The hourly rate offered is more than I would usually earn in an hour, so this is either a very big artist or, possibly, some kind of scam.

I don't like to be cynical but it's hard not to think of the possibilities when I'm confronted with something I've never experienced before. Has anyone ever had any experience of something like this, or know if it's common practice?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Until there's money on the table, there is no commitment. We used to get many calls for bookings at Master Control and until a deposit arrived and a producer walked through the door, everything was taken with a grain of salt. I saw sessions stop after the first day because no deposit had been received. Usually, the major labels couldn't get their accounting departments to work quick enough to match the schedules of the producers, engineers and artists.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:44 pm

If you have to ask on a messageboard if something is a scam, it is a scam.

Or a really flaky idea that is not intended to be a scam but one that will waste your time if you let it. A lot of people aren't scammers but will waste your time with what ifs that will never come true.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:56 am

BTW, please tell us if this was real, and if you eventually find out who the artist was...

GJ

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:46 am

Gregg Juke wrote:BTW, please tell us if this was real, and if you eventually find out who the artist was...

GJ
+1

Yes, what happened?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

MarcoPogo
gettin' sounds

Post by MarcoPogo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:41 am

***I've had many scammy attempts, mostly supposedly from Africa, but also supposedly from Europe and Ireland. However, I've got two other stories:

1. Someone called from Ireland claiming to represent a band on Universal and wanting to book time. I tried emailing but couldn't make out their email address due to the accent- tried calling back, but no response so I figured it was a scam. Turns out it wasn't, the band came over from Ireland, and it was one of the most wonderful of the many wonderful projects I've ever gotten to do.

2. Someone kept calling to book studio time but wouldn't tell me who it was, and then canceling. After two or three rounds of this, they called again to book a time which I already had booked with a longtime client. So, slightly annoyed I referred them to my friend's studio across town. They wouldn't tell him who it was either. On the appointed morning an armored SUV pulled up to the studio and some large guys made a sweep of his place, wanting to know where all the exits were, etc. The client turned out to be Eminem.
Cheers!

-MR

Mark Rubel
Pogo Studio
Champaign, IL USA

http://www.pogostudio.com/

millihenry
audio school

Post by millihenry » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:46 am

I realize this thread is over a month old and may have been resolved but...

I don't quite understand the problem.

They are not coming to your studio, you are not giving them any money. What kind of scam do you suspect? Slavery? I rather doubt it.

It is not unusual for artists and producers to keep a low profile with people they don't know yet. From their perspective, they don't know if you'll run out and try to get a "book deal" as soon as you commit to working with them. Then show up at the studio with an army of paparazzi and your own reality TV show.

Book the dates, be discreet, get paid... Get rehired.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:33 am

Yeah I don't feel that this situation automatically makes it a scam... Most higher profile artists will expect confidentiality and until you have mutually decided to work with them they may not have you sign a contract, obviously if they are shopping around at studios they don't want to tell everyone that they are doing the next "band x" album because no doubt someone will squeal without a contract in place.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:35 pm

millihenry wrote: I don't quite understand the problem.

They are not coming to your studio, you are not giving them any money. What kind of scam do you suspect? Slavery?

Book the dates, be discreet, get paid...
The potential scam is that they would ask for your discretion, make you sign a confidentiality agreement to make it look more legit, send you a check to cover expenses, then quickly cancel and ask for a full refund.

Doesn't sound too bad so far, right? You're a perfectly reasonable person, so why wouldn't you give them a refund? Heck, they might have promised more work later, and you wouldn't want to blow that opportunity. You're finally dealing with the big time artists that you've always dreamed of working with; so what if there's a hiccup along the way? Are you so foolish that you'd pass all that up? You're this close to a feature article in EQ Magazine.

Well, the check they sent you was fake. But it takes your bank a week or two to realize it, so you've just given a $10,000 "refund" to someone who didn't give you $10,000. What's more, you've now bounced a $10,000 check on your account.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:13 pm

The following article from Pro Audio Review mentions a potential scam along these lines:

http://www.proaudioreview.com/article/30912
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:16 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:BTW, please tell us if this was real, and if you eventually find out who the artist was...

GJ
I've been interested too. What happened? Scam or no?
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:29 am

goose134 wrote:

GJ
I've been interested too. What happened? Scam or no?

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:07 am

Hi all.

I never found out if it was a scam or not - the dates moved to a time when I had another session already booked and there was no flexibility with moving either one. They did say they might get in touch again at some time in the future so I guess I may find out some day!