Announcing HYSTERICAL AUDIO

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:13 pm

well, i can assure you it wasnt bigoted, as i was a keynote speaker at a black history month celebration for my work in racial equality and unity in my local community. dont play a card when its not necessary. since you are so outspoken, what have you done for the cause of racial justice in your community?

much love, and again, i was kidding...although there are many in the african american community that think rap isnt music either. especially the older cats in the jazz community down here in the new orleans area...

i wasnt attacking a people....i wasnt attacking anyone.

i think country music is soft rock nowadays with no heart. maybe im a bigot for thinking modern country music sucks?

i mean, come on! it seems as if a person cant say anything without offending someone nowadays...and on a thread where everyone is making goofy jokes that doesnt matter. you immediately accuse me of being a bigot without knowing me...

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:08 am

casey campbell wrote:...and on a thread where everyone is making goofy jokes that doesnt matter. you immediately accuse me of being a bigot without knowing me...
Hey, are you accusing my jokes of being goofy? I'm offended...

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:24 am

kinger wrote:
casey campbell wrote:...and on a thread where everyone is making goofy jokes that doesnt matter. you immediately accuse me of being a bigot without knowing me...
Hey, are you accusing my jokes of being goofy? I'm offended...
what? what? im offended that you are offended at my offensive offenses! ha ha

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:11 am

casey campbell wrote:i mean, come on! it seems as if a person cant say anything without offending someone nowadays...
ahhh... the whole "political correctness sure makes my life inconvenient" complaint. on a forum dedicated to music, did you not suspect that your funny "joke" that basically disrespects an entire genre of music might actually offend someone who makes or enjoys that kind of music? c'mon... you can't be that thick.

and, to bust out Webster's?!?! fucking lame.

the reason that bigotry was mentioned is that the type of joke you made about rap music not being music is fairly common among bigots and racists. and, I'm pretty sure nobody accused you of being a bigot or racist. It was just pointed out that your joke has it's roots in bigotry.

as far as your difficulties with political correctness.... maybe if it's that much of a drag for you when people take offense to things you say, you should consider NOT SAYING things that will offend people. trust me, it's not that hard. before you open your mouth, just ask yourself, "Is what I'm about to say fucking rude?" political correctness is a term that was invented as a way to describe thoughtfulness in a way that makes it sound inconvenient. being thoughtful is only inconvenient if you've gotten away with years and years of being inconsiderate without ever noticing that it is rude.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:22 am

oh great. here we go again....

subatomic the gate keeper out to bust everyone's balls....

flame on dude! it makes you feel good.
Last edited by casey campbell on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:42 am

Ok.. I can see that this thread is already going off the rails, and I am not trying to contribute to this, but I can't help but chime in here.
maybe if it's that much of a drag for you when people take offense to things you say, you should consider NOT SAYING things that will offend people. trust me, it's not that hard. before you open your mouth, just ask yourself, "Is what I'm about to say fucking rude?"
Bravo... I couldn't have stated that better.

You know how sometimes you know something subconsciously but don't really know how to articulate it? This is one of those cases for me....

I have heard people bitching about political correctness since the 90's and something inside of me always said "Just think about what you are going to say, and try not to be a dick".

Seems pretty simple to me.

p.s. This is not directed towards Casey, or anyone in particular

p.s.s. Can't wait to check out the new plug-in Joel!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:45 am

hi casey. i'm actually not busting "everyone's" balls... though, i'm sure it makes you feel better to put yourself in an imaginary group.

i was actually doing you a favor by explaining why your funny joke might be offensive to some people. i have no desire or interest to go round and round with you. you just seemed confused what with your quoting of the dictionary and throwing around your "I love black people" credentials.

i just wanted you to know that you're not being persecuted as a bigot. someone simply pointed out that the funny joke you told has roots in bigotry. i also wanted you to know that YOU ARE THE ONE who made a comment that was inconsiderate and rude. come down off the cross and recognize that the cure to offending people with what you say is to not say dickish inconsiderate things.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:59 am

subatomic pieces wrote:hi casey. i'm actually not busting "everyone's" balls... though, i'm sure it makes you feel better to put yourself in an imaginary group.

i was actually doing you a favor by explaining why your funny joke might be offensive to some people. i have no desire or interest to go round and round with you. you just seemed confused what with your quoting of the dictionary and throwing around your "I love black people" credentials.

i just wanted you to know that you're not being persecuted as a bigot. someone simply pointed out that the funny joke you told has roots in bigotry. i also wanted you to know that YOU ARE THE ONE who made a comment that was inconsiderate and rude. come down off the cross and recognize that the cure to offending people with what you say is to not say dickish inconsiderate things.
instead of derailing the thread altogether, why don't you ever just PM me? hmmm.

pure rap is poetry set to rhythm. that was my whole point. i didn't say it was bad or that it sucked. although i did say that new country music sucked because it wasn't true country music. does that have a tinge of bigotry? nope. but if i make a statement about rap, then it does?

i also never said anything about political correctness. you have a habit of making blanket statements and jumping to conclusions on purpose so that you can keep the argument going because you apparently have so much fun in doing so (in front of everyone).

as far as the "credentials" as what you were calling them...

i was called a bigot by someone who doesn't even know me personally. the point was that there are so many who are on the sidelines shaking fingers, but who actually make no contribution to the cause they have taken up from their couch (which you of course are the king of).

i doubt you'll PM me because you like to display your balls busting skills to everyone. you need a hobby dude.

sorry for the derailment of this thread everyone....carry on...

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:23 am

I'm still stuck on zombo.com 8) I hope the plugin can top it.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:42 am

yeah seriously lets get back to talking about how unbelievably awesome Joel's plugin is gonna be... i was really enjoying all the lighthearted theories.

i mean perspective eh? it's gotta be a plugin that emulates what it would sound like if you mounted a mic on a automated motorized zip line the runs outward from the source so that you could create physical phasing effects and adjust room sound and proximity effect right????

the infinite is possible. the only limit is yourself.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:46 am

i'm just glad zombo.com is still around! that's from what like, 2000? i'm also glad casey doesn't mean anything he ever says and is always joking/playing devil's advocate.

soooo... what's this plugin? does it turn the monitor black?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:52 am

I haven't stopped laughing at zombo.com!! This really shouldn't provide hours of entertainment, right?

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:07 am

definitely spent a little too long laughing at that when i was 20...

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:35 am

Sorry, much as I'd love to let this part of this thread die and get back to being excited about Joel's plugin (and believe me, I am!), I have to address something.
casey campbell wrote:well, i can assure you it wasnt bigoted, as i was a keynote speaker at a black history month celebration for my work in racial equality and unity in my local community. dont play a card when its not necessary. since you are so outspoken, what have you done for the cause of racial justice in your community?

much love, and again, i was kidding...although there are many in the african american community that think rap isnt music either. especially the older cats in the jazz community down here in the new orleans area...

i think country music is soft rock nowadays with no heart. maybe im a bigot for thinking modern country music sucks?

i mean, come on! it seems as if a person cant say anything without offending someone nowadays...and on a thread where everyone is making goofy jokes that doesnt matter. you immediately accuse me of being a bigot without knowing me...
Dude, I didn't say jack shit about race. You brought it up. You are aware that, by an overwhelming majority, the largest consumers of rap are white males, right? Disliking rap has nothing to do with race, as you said. So why'd you bring it up?

To deflect attention away from what you did say. What you said was not racist, I agree with you 100%. It was bigoted. Very bigoted. Any negative, sweeping generalization like what you said is bigoted. If you didn't mean it, then I'm happy about that, honestly, but I'm still going to tell you that I think saying that an incredible, eclectic genre with an amazing, innovative history "isn't music" isn't funny, because it's not. It doesn't further any discussion and it's not a statement of any substance. It's an easy statement to make until someone calls bullshit on it, and then you can't defend it. "Oh, I didn't mean it." Good; don't say it again. You're not stupid, you know that anti-rap sentiment is very pervasive in a large percentage of the recording world, and that's why you said it: you thought you could get away with it as a throwaway joke. Now you're getting called on it, and you can't defend the statement, you can only say that you didn't mean it and that you're not a racist. You're not a racist, I'm sure, and I never called you one. What you said was not racist. I don't think you're a bigot, and I'm not calling you one now. I do know that what you said was bigoted. I don't care what you are, I care about what you did.

Peace.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:53 am

wren wrote:Sorry, much as I'd love to let this part of this thread die and get back to being excited about Joel's plugin (and believe me, I am!), I have to address something.
casey campbell wrote:well, i can assure you it wasnt bigoted, as i was a keynote speaker at a black history month celebration for my work in racial equality and unity in my local community. dont play a card when its not necessary. since you are so outspoken, what have you done for the cause of racial justice in your community?

Dude, I didn't say jack shit about race. You brought it up. You are aware that, by an overwhelming majority, the largest consumers of rap are white males, right? Disliking rap has nothing to do with race, as you said. So why'd you bring it up?

To deflect attention away from what you did say. What you said was not racist, I agree with you 100%. It was bigoted. Very bigoted. Any negative, sweeping generalization like what you said is bigoted. If you didn't mean it, then I'm happy about that, honestly, but I'm still going to tell you that I think saying that an incredible, eclectic genre with an amazing, innovative history "isn't music" isn't funny, because it's not. It doesn't further any discussion and it's not a statement of any substance. It's an easy statement to make until someone calls bullshit on it, and then you can't defend it. "Oh, I didn't mean it." Good; don't say it again. You're not stupid, you know that anti-rap sentiment is very pervasive in a large percentage of the recording world, and that's why you said it: you thought you could get away with it as a throwaway joke. Now you're getting called on it, and you can't defend the statement, you can only say that you didn't mean it and that you're not a racist. You're not a racist, I'm sure, and I never called you one. What you said was not racist. I don't think you're a bigot, and I'm not calling you one now. I do know that what you said was bigoted. I don't care what you are, I care about what you did.

Peace.
ok.