What the H-LL happened to URS plugins?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

What the H-LL happened to URS plugins?

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Are these guys still a legit business?

I made a purchase there a few weeks back and have heard from no one about an issue with their site/software, etc. I have submitted tech requests- and as they have no main telephone number, contact seems unlikely.

I see there's some tie-in now with Digidesign...anyone know what's up?

My suggestion would be to be prepared for heartache if you do business with them in the future.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: What the H-LL happened to URS plugins?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:48 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Are these guys still a legit business?

I made a purchase there a few weeks back and have heard from no one about an issue with their site/software, etc. I have submitted tech requests- and as they have no main telephone number, contact seems unlikely.

I see there's some tie-in now with Digidesign...anyone know what's up?

My suggestion would be to be prepared for heartache if you do business with them in the future.
I bought the URS Saturation from them in September 20th.

Everything is fine here...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:44 pm

The internet store interface worked well- however plugins described as compatible for OS 10.3.9 and PT 6.4 are not able to be downloaded from the site. The payment mechanism cashed out and took the $$ I paid, but I've got no downloads that work with my system and I've tried everything from the site.

Several attempts to contact tech support and not a single response.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:25 pm

I bought some URS plugs years ago and get almost-monthly emails from:
Bobby Nathan <sales>

Good luck.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Three weeks and counting and I've since e-mailed their sales staff too...

rollmottle
ass engineer

Post by rollmottle » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:00 pm

I've had good experience with them in the past. I've owned the everything EQ and compressor bundles for a while and I think they're pretty great.

However, I bought the URS Phat C about 6, 7 months ago right when it came out for the introductory price. At the time, my rig was Windows-based. The compatibility chart clearly stated there was an RTAS Win version. Turns out there was not. I wrote to them right after buying the Phat C asking when the Win version was going to go up. Bobby got back to me saying (and I quote) "Yes the Phat C winfdows RTAS version is nearly completion. If you want a refund we can do that too - your call" I wrote back asking what that meant (days, weeks, months, years?) since I wanted to maintain the $99 price. Never heard back. I kept checking. The link to the windows version remained broken week after week. Finally, 4 months from my initial purchase, I wrote again wondering what the status on the Win version of the plugin was. Never got a response. I do get use out of the plugin since I'm now Mac-based and there's a Mac RTAS version of it. The experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Just checked, the link is still broken. RTAS is still listed as supported in the compatibility matrix on the Phat C product page.

No idea what's going on, but it's a bummer and based on this experience, I no longer recommend the URS brand.

Cheers,
RM

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:37 am

perhaps your letters contained far too much of the trademark charm and social grace you've exhibited on this board for lo these many years, and they simply couldn't handle it.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:04 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:perhaps your letters contained far too much of the trademark charm and social grace you've exhibited on this board for lo these many years, and they simply couldn't handle it.
Perhaps,

Maybe you could approach them in a different way, maybe step outside yourself for a minute...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:41 am

I may regret this, but I have to defend the OP a little bit here. He paid his money, and was unable to get the product. Even if he was totally belligerent in his response to the company (which I have no reason to think is the case) he's owed a response at the very least.

One thing I will say - did you check your spam folder? I work in IT and find that more often than not a customer who thinks they're not getting a response has been answered, but it wound up in junk mail. If you're not 100%% sure this is not the issue, include a phone number in your email to the company and ask them to call.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:33 am

the finger genius wrote:I may regret this, but I have to defend the OP a little bit here. He paid his money, and was unable to get the product. Even if he was totally belligerent in his response to the company (which I have no reason to think is the case) he's owed a response at the very least.

One thing I will say - did you check your spam folder? I work in IT and find that more often than not a customer who thinks they're not getting a response has been answered, but it wound up in junk mail. If you're not 100%% sure this is not the issue, include a phone number in your email to the company and ask them to call.
My contact to them used the appropriate form from the site with a lot of drag down options based for you to choose hardware and software configuration. Not much room to post much else. My guess is their volume of sale is either too low or too high and therefore the human interface suffers because of it. I'm going to call Vintage King- a dealer- and get a direct number for them. I'll let you know how that goes.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:05 pm

So I'm on, like, my 9th e-mail exchange with Bobby Nathan about this problem. I had got his cell phone number and personal e-mail address and sent an e-mail to that personal address. He's been replying through the URS plugins e-mail address though.

He's sent a number of links all to UB (Universal Binary) plugins which are incompatible with OS 10.3.9 and the Macs I'm running.

He doesn't ask for additional information or currently working versions of URS plugins in this system. First e-mail response came around 4 to 5 weeks after the problem occurred. There is still no solution.

If this is the best he/they can muster, I reiterate my initial judgment about their products.

UAD on the other hand kicks ass support-wise.

At some point, the $100 he earned and the no-refund policy he has may have run it's course. I know I've already put too much time into it.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:48 pm

hurm. let me think about two concepts here. $35 and karma. looks like karma wins!

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:18 am

If the web site where you bought the software states that your setup is supported, you should stop payment with the credit card company. If it doesn't, then he's totally within his rights to keep your money. Software (especially downloadable) generally is non-refundable, as there is nothing from keeping dishonest customers from installing and returning.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:25 pm

eeldip wrote:hurm. let me think about two concepts here. $35 and karma. looks like karma wins!
I have no clue what you're talking about.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:04 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:
eeldip wrote:hurm. let me think about two concepts here. $35 and karma. looks like karma wins!
I have no clue what you're talking about.
sorry, my post was a grammatical mess.

my post could have read simply "karma" and it would have made more sense.