Hilarious post over on the Sweetwater Forum

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

niccolo gallio
takin' a dinner break

Post by niccolo gallio » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:12 am

I sure hope the guy doesn't plug his re20 into the wall outlet..
C'mon, you can't possibly believe what's written on my avatar..

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: Hilarious...

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:36 am

>>>>I sure hope the guy doesn't plug his re20 into the wall outlet...<<<<

I had a guitar player once who _insisted_ on plugging his new Roland pedal-board thingy into a 220 line ("That's not a 220 line!").

There were no sparks or flames, just a whimper and then...nothing...

GJ

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm

When I was building my first "studio" in my parents' garage, I wanted to make sure I had wired the branch circuit working. I had taken a tap off one side of a 220VAC subpanel, because it was the closest supply without doing anything major.

I figured I'd plug something in and turn it on. The closest piece of gear was my reel-to-reel deck. Just as I was reaching for it, it occurred to me that I should not do that, and instead got a 20" fan that was in the other room.

Good thing I did, because when I plugged it in, it spun so fast that it literally started moving across the floor!

Later when I scrounged a voltmeter, sure enough there were 220VAC on that outlet.

:oops:
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:12 pm

An alarmingly long time ago I worked in a mill. One night with one hand on the conveyor belt frame, I shocked my self with 440 trying to fish a crayon out of the on/off switchbox. I jumped what felt like 40 feet, and then boinged around the place for about 15 minutes feeling like a slinky on steroids.

Other than that there were no consequences.
Other than that there were no consequences.

What were we talking about?
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

-3db
gettin' sounds

Post by -3db » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:00 pm

Somebody please help out RE20 boy OK?

"What is reverb?"

Oh man, That is unbelievable. :shock:
Um excuse me, these headphones aren't working...

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Re: This nutty sweetwater stuff...

Post by akg414 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:08 am

Gregg Juke wrote:>>>>I call B.S. on the poster's part. I think he is pulling everyone's leg.<<<<

Maybe. It would sure seem like it has to be a joke, right?

But then again, there's the story that the late Steve Bradley, the audio professor at the University of Buffalo, used to tell.

Early in his career (college?), Steve had been a stereo salesman. One day, a guy came in the store and asked for the best speakers in the joint, "Money is no object." He (the customer) listened to several very expensive pairs (this would have been back in the 70's; you pick a brand, it doesn't really impact the punch-line of the story-- JBL's, Polk's, Bose, whatever). The guy seemed well-versed in specs and was asking a lot of questions about impedance and things like Total Harmonic Distortion, etc. He picked-out an expensive pair of speakers, and paid cash. Steve gave the guy his card and said "Call me and let me know how great they sound when you get them home! I'm here if you have any problems or questions."

The next day, the customer calls, livid. He is melting the phone receiver with his vitriol. "You sold me a pile of %$#@% speakers! Now what the &^%$#@ are you gonna do about it!"

"Hold on, slow down. What's the problem? The speakers melted and started on fire you say? Oh my gosh; bring them in and we'll take a look. We'll certainly replace anything that was defective!"

The guy brings them back, and they are toasted. Voice-coil, speaker cones, the whole nine. So Steve starts with the questions. "What happened? They started on fire? I just don't understand it. Can you walk me through the steps you went through to hook them up?" Thinking that this would have been a simple story of the guy running some speaker wire from his tuner to the speakers, pressing the "on" button and dialing in a station, Steve waited for the guy to explain.

This was back in the 70's, remember. No internet, no wireless, no wi-fi, no "cloud" music, no ipods, no CD's. Your music was on the radio, or it was on vynil, or _maybe_ reel-to-reel or 8-track cartridge. Are you still with me?

WAIT FOR IT...

The guy took the expensive speakers home, took some lamp cord w/two-prong plugs, and a soldering iron, and soldered plugs directly to the speakers. Then, he plugged them into his 110 wall outlet, and waited for the music to come out...

GJ
Hahaha! That's great! Made my day...
- Brad

cactus
takin' a dinner break

Post by cactus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:10 am

What!?

I think the funniest part of this whole post is that the guy's getting horrendous feedback in a live sound environment & the Sweetwater guy suggests a compressor! Huh? :shock:

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:12 pm

So much misinfo bouncing around that poor guys thread. It's like we say in the IT world, oh that guy has an ID-10-T problem (ID10T). But the truth is lots of folks in both the music gear and computer world, buy piles of gear with no idea how to use it.
It's really easy to make fun of this guy, but he obviously has no idea what a compressor (or reverb) does for his sound. Try telling him to set the EQ flat, or to make sure his peaks dont cross 0vu.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:27 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:Try telling him to set the EQ flat, or to make sure his peaks dont cross 0vu.
Honestly, I think your sig is the best advice for him...
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve