The "Post your desk!" (and racks) thread

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:24 pm

I think the best part is your landline phone. Don't see those too much anymore.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:22 pm

Not a full rack display, but just finished restoring and setting up these eight RCA preamps, and got them into one of the racks here.

Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:37 am

nice! those look amazing (and are definitely way cooler than my telephone) how old are they?
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:17 am

Top rack is various 1945-1955, bottom is 1939ish-1945. The Fantasia soundtrack was done with the 1st version of the series seen on the bottom left.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:12 am

dave watkins: if i suddenly get rich i am buying you a nice carpet for your studio.

also, that last picture is nuts! what sort of building are you in and how is it that you can have the run of the place? are you the mayor's son or something? 53,500sq ft is...uh...beyond my ability to imagine how big it is.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:51 am

MSE: that would be awesome! i was just thinking the other day when i was taking photos about how much my carpet sucks! but as with a few other things in the space, those are remnants that were left over from the rest of the building and didn't cost a thing, so i'm cool with it, i'm all about making do with what i've got and pushing what i've got to the best of my abilities.

but yes the building is definitely huge, i have the run of the place because i work there during the day as audio/visual supervisor for the non profit ballet company that owns the building. i use a lot of my personal equipment for ballet projects and go above and beyond the level of my salary to get stuff done, and so in turn, i have this one room for my stuff + access to rest of the building and it's equipment (live sound gear, wood shop etc) for my personal projects. for free. it's kind of the best deal ever and i don't take it for granted. plus the ballet gets a free night watch man / emergency exploding water fountain flooding basement stopper. so it all works out. i mainly use it for my solo music projects, but will occasionally do stuff for friends if the right project arises, and work pretty strictly on the basis of gear trade for my time, which ends up being used for ballet projects so once more, it all works out!

there are parking lots on all sides of the building so i don't have to worry about noise complaints from neighbors, and the building is pretty much empty by 9 on weeknights and most of the weekends when we aren't doing ballet productions. so i've got plenty of time to be loud when i'm not pulling 70 hour ballet weeks. and i can do mixing and other quieter work anytime. here's what the outside looks like:
here's another shot from the session and the little prototype rollie rack: my buddy allen (vikingrecording on the TOMB) was engineering this one and i was basically acting as assitant
you can check out a really great writeup of that session with the low branches here: http://rvamag.com/articles/full/7824/si ... w-branches the record isn't quite done yet but it is going to be quite lovely when its done. and if you are ever in richmond hit me up for the grand tour!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:38 pm

dave watkins wrote: i'm all about making do with what i've got and pushing what i've got to the best of my abilities.
same here. when i redid my place i tried to reuse as much sheetrock, etc as i could. doesn't look all that pretty, and it made the demolition phase take a lot longer, but budget (and the lack thereof) dictates...

sounds like you do indeed have the best deal ever. nice work. i'll definitely take you up on that tour if i'm ever down there. oh hey, do you know the band white laces? i think they're from richmond. i just mastered their new record, really really cool stuff.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:29 pm

yeah white laces are definitely awesome. think they're looking at a late october release for the new record. always good stuff going on in richmond!

i gotta get my new record done this year too now that my space is finally in better order, it's been in the works too long!

ight let's see some more desks!

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:57 am

dave is BLESSED!

p.s. - what microphone is this guy:

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:02 am

as far as i remember it's an old bang & olufsen omni dynamic.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:14 am

dave watkins wrote:as far as i remember it's an old bang & olufsen omni dynamic.
cool, thanks!

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:10 am

Hmmm... it seems I've never posted in this thread. Time to remedy that.

Control Room:

Desk:

Left Rack:

Right Rack:

Iso Room:

Machine/Storage Room:

Drums are currently being recording in the upstairs living room until I finish out the live room. I'm so glad I have an understanding wife.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:00 am

Beautiful Nate.

Nice Bowie shot.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:41 pm

casey campbell wrote:dave is BLESSED!

p.s. - what microphone is this guy:

It looks like this guy is looking to someone out of the frame and saying, "You mean I hit it with this?"
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:11 pm

here are some pics of the Sphere Eclipse II i just installed a few months back: