Guilty References

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Jitters wrote:Say Tony, why don't you tell us about the time you listened to Hysteria in Mitch Easter's control room?

I gotta know tonight...

Oh Babe, say you will.
Mitch puts Hysteria on the turntable, looks over at me and Garges and say "Its Glorious!" I'm still not sure if he was being sarcastic.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:59 am

Ha! That's great. One of those mysteries best left unsolved...

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:36 am

Norah Jones.

Don't tell anyone.

My metal friends will break my ball endlessly.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:50 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:My metal friends will break my ball endlessly.
Why are metal friends always so sensitive about their metal?

Edit. I just realized one of my main 'reference' cd's. I don't really intentionally reference stuff, but I'm always eager to check out Fishbone's "Reality of My Surroundings" it's such a dense record. So much crazy shit going on that it's kindof a personal challenge to try to hear it all at once and not zero in on some weird part or to try to hear a weird part that I never noticed before. I've probably heard that record 500x, and I still don't really get how it works. I also can't decide if it's well recorded or not.

Does anyone know? Like, how could they have recorded ALL that stuff better and clearer? Should they have? Should they have punted on all those arrangements and not included the kitchen sink on every song?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Since when the fuck are Deep Purple and The Police not cool?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 pm

In. The. Air. Tonight.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:37 pm

cgarges wrote:Since when the fuck are Deep Purple and The Police not cool?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
no shit!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:24 am

no shit again!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
As brilliant as it is simple.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I guess you're not working with post-ironic home composting folky hipsters...
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:40 am

My band actually cites The Police as a influence, I lent a Police DVD to my drummer jes' last night, and lemme suggest that music is not simple, especially done at their level of performance.

I tend to think of Sting and Copeland as genius, with Summers damn close (if typically a lot more restrained.)

And I always loved DP, including with Tommy Bolin.

Now, I'll hush. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

niccolo gallio
takin' a dinner break

Post by niccolo gallio » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:44 am

Lionel Ritchie: All Night Long.

+

Madonna: Live to Tell

I think I have a fetish for cheesy snares..
C'mon, you can't possibly believe what's written on my avatar..

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:47 am

dwlb wrote:
??????? wrote:there is no guilt in music. A pleasure is a pleasure. If I like something, I like it. Even Peter Cetera. Why buy into some self-described cool person's bullying tactics telling me what I'm allowed or not allowed to like? Fuck that.

:D

I love Deep Purple AND the Police, and not in a "let's hedge with irony" kind of way, either.

But incidentally, I love referencing (and listening to) Steely Dan. Beautiful sounding records.
This. Plus ten! 8)
*high five*

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:18 am

Cool thread.

band o' young dudes in the studio. last night the drummer asks, "so, what's yer favorte band? like, do you have a favorite?"

man! i *used* to be able to answer that question! it was a dose of reality that my relationship with music has changed dramatically over the years. i mean, in high school, who you liked DEFINED who you were (or were trying to be), didn't it? The lines were clear. In my twenties, I had more of an idea of who I was, and my true tastes, but I still harbored fear over over other people's opinions - especially as a musician. "No, wait, I can't write a song like that! My "fans" won't understand it!"

Now? Fuck it man. NO apologies. As a musician and recording dude, I think this is where it's at. As it relates to recording/writing/performing, I mean, truly, you must be unafraid to launch with reckless abandon into complete-fucking-mess-and-go-fuck-your-"good"-tasteville in order to get to the REAL and honest shit, no? I think so. I can talk about the bands/records that have been incredibly important to me and my own music, or that I find inspiring, but, a favorite....?

I tried to answer the kid. I can't answer the "who's your favorite" question anymore. I just can't. Any attempt to do so, I've realized, for me, is an attempt to shape someone else's opinion of me. There's just too much good music. My new answer is "I like good music,"and that of course is judged by my tastes alone. Some one else's tastes are just as valid, of course. It seemed like a cop out.

"Oh!" I said, "This'll give you an idea." I said. I grabbed my macbook and plugged it in to the monitors.

"I Like this.." elvis, heartbreak hotel (piano under the solo! so good!)
"i like this..." eddie grant, electric avenue (oi! crazy synth-or-ama goodness)
"I like this..." Black Keys, Next Girl (nasty shit)
"I like this.." Bryan Adams, She's Only Happy When She's Dancing (straight up party rocking fun)
"I like this" Mose Allison, My Brain (dry, hilarious, love the "mumbling", piano sound. great tune)
"I like this..." *I play half of Thriller.* (mama-say! mama-sah mooma-coo-sa!)
"I like this..." Slobberbone, lumberlung (brilliant imagery, an immacualte presentation/production. *killing* band)
"I like this..." Tom Petty, won't back down (do i need to explain?)
"I like this...." Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, 40 day dream (great vocal, feel, pop. so good.)

i dunno if the drummer was just confused, but it was an "aha" moment for me.

Also: Bryan Adams' "Reckless", while being incredibly personally enjoyable to me is, tastes aside, I maintain, an example of absolute song-writing, performing, production, arrangement, and mixing excellence. top to bottom. as good as it gets.

MJ's "Thriller" too. It's as good as you "they" say it is. Absolute greatness. I still don't like the ballad at the end, but whatevs.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:08 am

This has been creeping up in my mind for awhile, but partly due to this thread, I've decided to shift my outlook somewhat as regards the cover shows I play from time to time. I'm dispensing with the concept of the "ironic" cover --songs that I play while keeping my tongue in my cheek or winking sideways at the audience. I'm just gonna play songs that I think are good songs. If that's a Michael Jackson song re-interpreted for acoustic guitar, fine. If it's "Here You Come Again" by Dolly Parton, then fine, but I'm playing it straight.

Will I still capitulate to the inevitable requests for "Sweet Caroline" or "Brown Eyed Girl?" I probably will. I'm there for the audience, not the other way around. But hopefully if they're asking for the song, they're asking because it's a song they love and I should oughta give it to 'em with that in mind.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/