SM57 versus ???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nobody, really
takin' a dinner break

Post by nobody, really » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:20 am

too bad you can't use hammers as sm57's (or635a's). i'd be stoked.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:51 am

Also mentioned by the OP, I highly recommend the 906- it's versatile, it has a 3 position switch for eq (I suspect one of the settings is similar to the more ubiquitous 609), and the flat shape is great for cabs. I don't know how it compares to a 409, but for the money it's a great bargain.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:55 am

It sounds like, from your 2nd post, that you have some other 57's, right?

So get something new!

You can get used Sennheiser md421, and a Electrovoice 635a or RE11 (or PL11) for around $300.

MD421 rules on guitar amps and it's great on kick drums. good on may other sources too. Super nice on bass cabs as well, and great for vocalist who project and have a hard time controlling plosives.

The 635a excels on guitar amps, and because it's omni it gives you a little more room vibe with a close mic, with reduced proximity effect. Very remniscent of early REM guitar tones to my ear, of coarse the right player, amp and room have alot to do with that too. Also these mics sound really great on drums for mono overhead, heart mics, crotch mics, or snares. I even used it inside the kick on a session recently.

The re11 has a similar vibe, but it has a supercardioid pattern for a tighter sound. Really nice when doing entire band recordings. Great on snares and live vocals for these kind of sessions too.

Also, the e609 is pretty great for guitars, toms and snares too. Used it for a live recording on a small fender amp for a slide player and it really sounded nice.

Ken96
studio intern

Post by Ken96 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Budget raised to $400 and some change, so I am going to get an i5, another 57 and a used 906... great suggestions though, thanks all for the input... I will be looking back at this post in the future, as my mic allowance is usually only around $200 a pop....

I do already have some 57s, but they are delegated to drums (I've found nothing else better for the money for close-miking drums, which I have to do often as I often record grind/punk bands live, not much choice).

I am primarily looking for something dynamic for close-miking guitar cabs, I have a few ribbons for distant miking an iso'd amp.... I had a 906 before and was happy with it, and internet majority has told me to try an i5 and I just KNOW what a 57 sounds like...

(Yes, I am on a bit of a budget, once my taxes roll in I plan on spending about half on mics, (hopefully) around $1500, so I'll keep researching the board here until then and ask any questions I might have when the time comes).

Thanks everyone!

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Maybe try this 57 knock offs if you are on a budget...
http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mercha ... ode=37-206

57's sounds good for grind IMO

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:54 pm

I haven't used one of my 57s since I got a pair of Heil PR20s. Great on guitar cabs, snare, even voiceover mics (though watch plosives).

For a cheapie mic, the CAD TSM411 is great also. I prefer it generally to the 57 on the same tasks.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Used EVs knock around for great prices and sound leaps and bounds better than 57s!

RE10, RE11, RE15, 635a.

daveg62
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by daveg62 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:57 pm

I love my Heil PR20's. They are like sm57's , but better :D

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:14 pm

Agree with 635, i5 and RE-10/11/15/16.

Also look for a used AKG D1000E - AKG's answer to the 57, much smoother and absolutely great on Fender amps.

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Tried the i5 on guitar cabs and snare. Result? Sold the 57. Tried the the Heil PR30 on guitar cabs. Result? Use the Heil PR30 now instead of the i5. PR30 is awesome on cabs! Now using the i5 on snare only.
Also like to use the PR30 on cabs (up close) along with an AT4047 back about 3 feet.

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:23 am

You should have a couple 57s around (freelance engineers and the occasional request from a client warrant the necessity)

A solid alternative for a slightly better shure mic: DY45g (Allen Sides snare mic) or the SM77 (saw several of these at Sear Sound). I own a pair of each. They rule. If you can find them they usually sell for like $14. 8)

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:47 pm

I wouldn't say it's necessarily an alternative to an SM57 just because of price range, but I just got a pair of MD421s. Took a bit of searching but I got each for $225, locally. God. Damn. I bought them mostly to use on toms, but when I got both of them home I just set them up on a tom and on kick and played with headphones (just to hear some sounds from them) and they sound SO good. They definitely have a lot up top so I thought they might sound too nasally on the high end for guitar, but I used it on guitar cab today and really liked it. Much more natural than I was expecting. Maybe natural-sounding-in-a-mix. I'm going to try pairing it with my SM7 on guitar cab, I'm expecting big results. I've heard many times about pairing a 57 with a 421, and I love the SM7 most anywhere I'd like a 57, so I'd bet this could be an amazing combo. I also tried the 421 on snare, and I was VERY impressed. Really picked up the snare sound, maybe enough to not need an under-snare mic. I could see close micing an entire kit, minus overheads, with 421s. Just giving an opinion on the 421s since I just got them and I'm blown away!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:51 pm

jgimbel wrote:I could see close micing an entire kit, minus overheads, with 421s. Just giving an opinion on the 421s since I just got them and I'm blown away!
why minus overheads? you'd be suprised....too "old-school" sounding for some tastes but not for mine.

to the OP: if it makes you feel any better, the internet compelled me to sell one of my 57s and get an i5. that did not last long. not only that but it was surprisingly much harder to sell than the 57 was. if it doesn't work out don't feel too bad, just get an old EV mic instead.

I like the Audix D2 and D4 but I've found that the D6 and i5 sound like if someone took the Shure mics I tend to leave pretty flat and EQ'd them to death. but then again some people say that the 57 and the Beta 52 "require" a lot of EQ, so as always YMMV.
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:57 am

inasilentway wrote:
jgimbel wrote:I could see close micing an entire kit, minus overheads, with 421s. Just giving an opinion on the 421s since I just got them and I'm blown away!
why minus overheads? you'd be suprised....too "old-school" sounding for some tastes but not for mine.
I said I could see close micing everything in a kit except overheads - meaning I don't know that I'd want to close mic the cymbals with the 421s, sorry if that wasn't clear. Closed-miced overheads most never sound right to me, whether it's a dynamic mic or not. I used to use dynamics for overheads all the time. I haven't done it lately because I've loved the sound of SDCs as close to my low ceiling as possible (ie as far above the cymbals as possible). I always feel like I just can't get a natural sound with mics close to cymbals, dynamics included. I never got much of an "old school" sound with that, I've done better getting that with a mic in front of the kit above the kick/at snare level or so. Seems to balance well.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

nobody, really
takin' a dinner break

Post by nobody, really » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:28 am

based partially on UTFSF here, i picked up a 635a and a d1000e to try against my 57, mostly for elec/acoustic guitar, but also as a cheap utility mic. gonna sell the d1000e. it did sound a little smoother, less muddy, i guess. it had a pretty balanced sound. but the 57 was more full sounding, present and i think more versatile overall. i haven't decided on the 635a yet. i keep giving it these sidelong glances like, "what are you up to, man?" it sounds interesting. on elect guitar, the 635a and the 57 both on the grille and combined sounds perfect. on acoustic it had a "let it be" vibe, which i'm not yet sure is good or bad. i'm hoping it sounds cool as a drum heart mic, though i think it sounds terrible as a room mic. i wouldn't use either the d1000e or the 635a alone on anything important. but i would use a 57 alone.