Playback Issue w/Reaper Render

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Playback Issue w/Reaper Render

Post by thegeek » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:55 pm

I am relatively new to using Reaper but I just did a whole song on it and after I render it to a WAV file the playback on the song is about 1/3 too slow. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

I have tried playing it on more than one computer but they are all too slow.
theGeek

Springload - Juice Rock
Tremor Christ - Pearl Jam Tribute

Shouldn't you be practicing?

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:27 pm

Maybe check that the Rate is still set to 1.0. I had some speed/pitch issues in one project before realizing I had apparently adjusted the rate without realizing it. Could also be something to do with the sampling rate settings.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:52 pm

what they said.

especially check if you recorded at 48K by accident, then when you render and play back at 44K, it will be too slow. Doh! I've done that more times I care to admit to.

Worse case scenario - you can alter the playback rate (the small number at the bottom of the track-control-panel screen, and change the number (greater than 1 in your case) until you get the real-time playback rate you wanted.

Then, render in real-time with that setting, and your rendered WAV (or MP3) track should now play back with the rate you want.

sub-optimal, but it works.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:18 am

roygbiv wrote:
especially check if you recorded at 48K by accident, then when you render and play back at 44K, it will be too slow. Doh! I've done that more times I care to admit to.
If that is the case should I just re-render it in 48K?
theGeek

Springload - Juice Rock

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:24 pm

That's a good question - it seems like that should work, but if I recall correctly (haven't done this for a while) , that never really works for me, in fact, I think that will make it sound even slower. (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Something to do with the info in the header of the resulting file not matching the actual rate of the sampled music.

Anyway, 1st things 1st - the easiest way to check if your problem really is just a 48K vs. 44K mismatch, is to play back your existing files in Reaper with the playback rate in Reaper changed to 1.09 (=48/44).

If it suddenly sound "normal", that is probably what happened.

There are programs like r8brain, or something like that, to change the existing recording to playback at 48K vs. 44k y sounds of your existing file. But again, I've never been able to solve this problem easily using the free versions of r8brain, etc.

One thing - in the future, to avoid the 48K problem, be sure you re-initialize your soundcard before recording, and be sure you have it set to 44K in Reaper.

If you are using your soundcard for Windows sounds as well as recording, sometimes it (or at least mine) gets stuck in the 48k mode if I have been watching a video (48K playback) using Windows Media player. Or at least I think that is what is the fundamental problem.

Anyway, hope that makes sense.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:29 pm

PS - Doh!

Upon checking my message, I noticed the top message in this Computer forum is a "sticky" by Joel Hamilton (title: help thread: Fixing the oldest clocking mistake in the book).

The thread talks about this very problem - how to fix a 48K/44K sample mismatch problem in Pro Tools (and others mention Digital performer).

Question: has anyone tried these approaches in Reaper, and if so, do they work to salvage a sampling mismatch?

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:05 pm

turns out it was a mismatch... to fix it I put the track into Audacity and changed playback to 48k - I then exported it as a WAV file and we're back in business.

Thanks for the suggestion guys!
theGeek

Springload - Juice Rock