Serious Craigslist Score!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Serious Craigslist Score!

Post by kslight » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:24 pm

Best score I've ever found on Craigslist... Added three analog synths to my collection... Arp Axxe, Akai AK60, and Crumar Performer..and two keyboard stands...for.........$100.

Granted they aren't flawless but very fixable. The Arp needs the keyboard worked on (triggers but not every key changes the pitch) and the faders need cleaned, all faders are missing their caps and a couple faders are partially broken off (but they all function). The Akai has one broken key. I bought them untested because I knew if I sat on it they'd be gone, and figured even if they were all broken I'd still be stupid to pass them up. I haven't had time to really play with them, but I dinked around with the Arp Axxe and for a single oscillator synth, it does a very killer bass sound...love it...and I've owned a fair share of classic analogs. If I can't get the keyboard going I can either fit it with MIDI or get a sequencer that does CV...no biggie.

finleysound
pluggin' in mics

Post by finleysound » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:25 pm

What? That's awesome.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:00 pm

whoa! nice one.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:04 pm

I was almost too jealous to say "Congratulations." I'm (mostly) over it... Congratulations!!!!

(Can I have the Crumar for $30?) :wink:

GJ

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:05 pm

I don't feel TOO bad about it because the guy posted the three and said make him an offer, and I emailed Jim and asked what he wanted...so he just clearly had no idea that they were worth anything.

As for the Crumar I can't get rid of it...I have another...the Orchestrator...which is cool and essentially a bigger Performer, but it has a lot of things wrong with it, so I'm happy to get that in the deal. The Akai is cooler than I expected...like a Juno 60 basically.

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:40 pm

Wow nice job! You should really make a demo video of the akai, I've never even seen one. Share the wealth, as it were! :lol:

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:50 pm

The Akai is nifty, people call them a poor man's Juno, I'd have to agree...but as far as I can tell is better than the Juno I owned. It's like a Juno 60 because of the VCO and the arpeggiator, but then has patch memory and MIDI like a 106...but can also run two patches at once in split mode. And the sound to me is a lot clearer in the bottom even in 6 osc mono mode, and the mid range and high end is pretty aggressive so to me sounds very good for a single osc poly synth.

Ken96
studio intern

Post by Ken96 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:14 pm

A client whose band I am recording recently came over to perform some computer work for me and asked me to come out to his car. In the trunk was an original Aphex Aural Exciter, an Alesis Microverb 4, two 32-band EQs, a dual channel comp/limiter, a 4-band parametric EQ, and a power conditioner, as well as a few other things. (I don't remember the names of that last stuff/EQ's, but it wasn't "Realistic").

He had picked it all up a the local community college "clear the junk out of the AV department" sale- all for $80.

Dude is lucky like that- he used to volunteer as an engineer at the local public radio station and they were going to throw out an ancient Ampex 8-channel 2" tape machine back in the 90's, it has a separate input board that connects to the reel-to-reel; he got it for free.

I don't get jealous easy, but....