preserving drums at mastering

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:01 am

drumsound wrote:Don't forget to have good communication with the ME and the band. Explain to the band what making a loud record will do to the mixes and explain to the ME that you and the artist have had the discussion and that a "Loud commercial Bar coded radio ready cluesless lemmings type record" is NOT what you are after.
+1. For the past year or so I've been getting into mastering. I'd say I'm better than "ghetto mastering" as I'm not just squashing things or turning up the volume, but I'm not to a Carl Saff level. Yesterday I had a metal band in for mastering. They had some knowledge about mastering, which was helpful. But they came in saying how they wanted it as loud as possible. We spent a while talking about the effect that has, and how the louder you want it to sound the more you have to squash it. They understood that was the case and said "unfortunately we have to compete with other band's albums so we need to have it be super loud". That was a shame, but they understood what effect that would have on the music, and they were okay with it. We squashed it a bit more than I would want to, but it wasn't just CRUSHED. I felt a bit less bad about it since they knew exactly what we were doing, and that it wasn't a naive band saying "make it louder! louder!" not realizing the effect it was having on the music. I have done mastering for more inexperienced bands or solo artists, essentially folks who aren't entirely sure what the point of mastering is, and with those I tend to just try to get them to a good volume and not squash them very much. Most of them never notice or have any problem with it being a little quieter than major releases, but some who do, I just talk to them about how it will change things if we make it louder. If they're fine with that, we can do it, but I really like it to be THEIR decision. When I'm mastering I'm trying to work for the band, not the industry.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:44 am

drumsound wrote:Don't forget to have good communication with the ME and the band. Explain to the band what making a loud record will do to the mixes and explain to the ME that you and the artist have had the discussion and that a "Loud commercial Bar coded radio ready clueless lemmings type record" is NOT what you are after.
I agree about the communication but think that trying to convince someone that loud is bad is somewhat patronizing.

Often what I'll do if it's an unattended mastering session and they do want something full tilt, I'll give them that and one that's a little conservative as well. They can decide which direction to go... it's really like asking how someone would like there steak cooked. It's their choice and not really my place to convince them otherwise unless asked for my opinion...always good to get that sort of stuff sussed out before hand.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:47 am

You know,

You all are worrying too much.

You can always, always fix it in the Credits, and to have further insurance, get a BarCode.

This will guarantee that the record is awesome.

:roll:
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:47 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:You know,

You all are worrying too much.

You can always, always fix it in the Credits, and to have further insurance, get a BarCode.

This will guarantee that the record is awesome.

:roll:
Or, you can be like Metallica and save proper masters for the Guitar Hero version of the album.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 am

jgimbel wrote:Yesterday I had a metal band in for mastering. They had some knowledge about mastering, which was helpful. But they came in saying how they wanted it as loud as possible. We spent a while talking about the effect that has, and how the louder you want it to sound the more you have to squash it. They understood that was the case and said "unfortunately we have to compete with other band's albums so we need to have it be super loud".
Loud and bright will always win over loud.

Scrape out the low frequencies and make it take their heads off. You'll find less bottom will allow you to get a bit more level. This is where chaining devices and working in small increments of compression and limiting can help. From a purist standpoint, having so many things in a signal chain is a sacrifice, but hell, you're already sacrificing their music to be 'louder than Jesus'. It's insane what you can do these days.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:33 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Scrape out the low frequencies and make it take their heads off. You'll find less bottom will allow you to get a bit more level.
Just want to note that taking out the bottom is not likely to make most modern metal bands happy.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:38 pm

dfuruta wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:Scrape out the low frequencies and make it take their heads off. You'll find less bottom will allow you to get a bit more level.
Just want to note that taking out the bottom is not likely to make most modern metal bands happy.
But it made Bob Mould VERY happy!!