Should I keep this free gear?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wesley.wittich
alignin' 24-trk

Should I keep this free gear?

Post by wesley.wittich » Mon May 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Here's a little background: Last summer, I was working for my father-in-law and I met this lady in her 60's who had a small home studio (she recorded church piano/organ type stuff) and was getting rid of some equipment and she ended up giving me a bunch of it (at least 5k worth of stuff!). Some stuff she gave me has been great and I've used it extensively, some has sat in my closet since then, and I'm not sure if it's anything I will ever need/should keep.

On my list of not-so-sures are:

Sony DTC-790 DAT Recorder
Yamaha KX W582 Tape Deck
Yamaha KX W592 Tape Deck
Kurzweil K2600r Rack Synth
Kurzweil MicroPiano
Kurzweil Micro Ensemble
Motu MIDI Express XT

I know a lot of this is good gear, but it's not anything I'm using right now. I don't have a dedicated space, I live in an apartment, and space is a little short. Are any of these pieces stuff I should definitely keep? Like, will I not be able to live without a DAT recorder when I finally have my own space (as that is the plan)? Some of this stuff is expensive (the K2600 specifically went for around $2500 or something new) and I'd hate to get rid of it only to really need it later, but if I'm not going to need it, the space would be nice (and would make my wife happy!).

Any thoughts on any of this stuff? I don't do a lot of MIDI, but I know it can be a valuable asset if someone wants it...are Tape Decks used for anything except transfers now?!

Thanks for any input!

WS

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Mon May 23, 2011 10:26 pm

Big K2600 fan here. I was on the R&D team that worked in it - my first job right out of school.

If it's got the sampling option, you can use the internal FX to process external sounds, a brother to the KSP8. Laserverb is pretty cool.

If you're into synthesis, Triple Mode is also pretty hefty - using 3 voices at a time for 3x the processing. I think those patches are in the 300's.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue May 24, 2011 9:00 am

I need a tape deck and could use a piano module.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue May 24, 2011 9:27 am

Not keeping free gear is un-American...

GJ

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue May 24, 2011 10:19 am

The real question is any of it worth selling enough to buy something you want instead? The sound modules would be something I'd comsider keeping if I didn't need the cash, but the tape decks seem like something I'd never go back to. The sum of all those units ought to be worth a good microphone or preamp, or monitors. I don't see any of those increasing in value over time so I'd sell if you need the space.

wesley.wittich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wesley.wittich » Tue May 24, 2011 10:32 am

The Scum wrote:Big K2600 fan here. I was on the R&D team that worked in it - my first job right out of school.
That's awesome! Sounds like a sweet first gig.
The Scum wrote: If it's got the sampling option, you can use the internal FX to process external sounds, a brother to the KSP8. Laserverb is pretty cool.
Are you saying I could use this to add FX to any tracks during mixing or whatnot? How do I tell if this has the sampling option, and how would I go about hooking it up for this application? Sorry if this is newb stuff, I've never worked with MIDI outside of PT, so it's all a little foreign...
trodden wrote:I need a tape deck
Would you use it for anything besides transfers? If so, what?
Gregg Juke wrote:Not keeping free gear is un-American...
Hehe, I don't know if I'll be railed upon on this board like some others for this, but being un-American doesn't really bother me...

Does anyone still use a DAT Recorder?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue May 24, 2011 11:02 am

>>>>but being un-American doesn't really bother me...<<<<careful>>>>Does anyone still use a DAT Recorder?<<<<

We've got one, for playing old masters, making transfers, for any clients that might need it in a pinch, and who knows what else, but we've got one. Mini-disk too!

GJ

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm

by all means, keep the rack synth. then send the modules to me and ill put them to good use! :D

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue May 24, 2011 2:38 pm

WesleyScott wrote:
Would you use it for anything besides transfers?
Uhhh, is this a trick question? I'd use it for listening to cassettes.

wesley.wittich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wesley.wittich » Tue May 24, 2011 3:01 pm

trodden wrote:
WesleyScott wrote:
Haha, I meant is there any other professional application for it besides transfers? If you're just going to listen to them, I bet this thing is pretty hi-fi!

http://etsy.me/kt0jlV

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue May 24, 2011 3:04 pm

WesleyScott wrote:
trodden wrote:
WesleyScott wrote:
Haha, I meant is there any other professional application for it besides transfers? If you're just going to listen to them, I bet this thing is pretty hi-fi!

you could run stuff to it for lo-fi loveliness. you could use it for sampling off of cassettes.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue May 24, 2011 3:11 pm

WesleyScott wrote:
trodden wrote:
WesleyScott wrote:

I have two big crates full of cassettes, mix tapes, mostly stuff I don't have or can't find on other formats. People are still releasing cassette only projects as well. So yeah..

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue May 24, 2011 4:56 pm

If you don't want any of that stuff I would gladly take it off your hands. Most specifically the Motu MIDI Express XT.

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Wed May 25, 2011 10:58 pm

Are you saying I could use this to add FX to any tracks during mixing or whatnot? How do I tell if this has the sampling option, and how would I go about hooking it up for this application? Sorry if this is newb stuff, I've never worked with MIDI outside of PT, so it's all a little foreign...
Yeah, you can run external audio through it with the sampling option.

Are there jacks in the knockouts on the right side of the front panel? If so, it's got the sampling option.

Track down the manual, and download and install the latest firmware and patch sets. The look through the documentation for "live mode" It's a little tricky to set up, but very flexible - you get the filters and stuff of a synth voice, and then the FX, which were the predecessor to the KSP8.