Social Media Strategy

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dan Rosato
ass engineer

Social Media Strategy

Post by Dan Rosato » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:26 am

Hey guys and gals. I'm wondering if any of you out there have a novel approach to social media. With message boards, blogs, Soundcloud, Facebook, Twitter, etc, it seems like there are more options than ever to connect with potential clients and collaborators, and also more ways than ever to waste your time! I'm curious to see what methods you all out there use and if you've seen any results (good and bad) from these efforts. Obviously there is no magic bullet for this kind of thing, and there's really nothing better than going out and meeting people face to face, but I'm always searching for more efficient ways to raise the profile of the studio, as well as connect with new artists, and promote the work that gets done here.

Thanks in advance.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:23 am

I've had good results with Facebook.

Keeping clients up to date on their own time. We rarely send out newsletters anymore.

The key is updating enough and not pissing people off...

Just started with Twitter. Joel H does a lot with Twitter.

M.

sessionsatstudiom
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sessionsatstudiom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:50 am

I have just started the whole facebook thing. I have only been at a non personal facebook for 2 days but I have had a bunch of clicks on my website because of it. Nothing in sales yet. But at least getting interest.

I have not done twitter but can be very successful. Also you can link to facebook. Have you tried blogging? Just starting that, and I will see what happens.

Mike
Michael Maughan
http://www.sessionsatstudiom.com
an online recording school

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:01 am

I think a lot of the social media sites don't necessarily equate to direct sales, per se. it's big picture.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:22 am

I think that if you approach social media as if it's JUST a marketing opportunity, savvy kids will sniff that out right away and won't pay any attention to you. Social media is similar to things like this message board, where the more actively you participate in the community, the more likely people are to have a genuine interest in checking out what you do. A lot of lessons were learned in MySpace's collapse. You can't let the "artists" spam members with cold call type friend requests. The new FB/Twitter paradigm encourages participation, rather than obnoxious spam. The fans come to you, not vice versa. It's more word-of-mouth, and grass rootsy.

I know that a lot of people are annoyed by social media. And, just like walking into any public place in the real world, there ARE some people who are annoying or dreadfully boring, or whatever... But, it IS a legitimate global town square in the world's marketplace of ideas. It might not be your cup of tea. But, it's life. And, it's reality for nearly EVERY young person in the web-connected world.

It seems like the less connected people feel to this genuine community, the more likely they are to litter it with spam and blatant marketing.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:41 am

+1!!

I couldn't have said it better myself!

subatomic pieces wrote:I think that if you approach social media as if it's JUST a marketing opportunity, savvy kids will sniff that out right away and won't pay any attention to you. Social media is similar to things like this message board, where the more actively you participate in the community, the more likely people are to have a genuine interest in checking out what you do. A lot of lessons were learned in MySpace's collapse. You can't let the "artists" spam members with cold call type friend requests. The new FB/Twitter paradigm encourages participation, rather than obnoxious spam. The fans come to you, not vice versa. It's more word-of-mouth, and grass rootsy.

I know that a lot of people are annoyed by social media. And, just like walking into any public place in the real world, there ARE some people who are annoying or dreadfully boring, or whatever... But, it IS a legitimate global town square in the world's marketplace of ideas. It might not be your cup of tea. But, it's life. And, it's reality for nearly EVERY young person in the web-connected world.

It seems like the less connected people feel to this genuine community, the more likely they are to litter it with spam and blatant marketing.

sessionsatstudiom
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sessionsatstudiom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:08 pm

mobtownstudios wrote:+1!!

I couldn't have said it better myself!

subatomic pieces wrote:I think that if you approach social media as if it's JUST a marketing opportunity, savvy kids will sniff that out right away and won't pay any attention to you. Social media is similar to things like this message board, where the more actively you participate in the community, the more likely people are to have a genuine interest in checking out what you do. A lot of lessons were learned in MySpace's collapse. You can't let the "artists" spam members with cold call type friend requests. The new FB/Twitter paradigm encourages participation, rather than obnoxious spam. The fans come to you, not vice versa. It's more word-of-mouth, and grass rootsy.

I definitely agree. I changed my username on this board recently so I am rebuilding here. But when people know you are a real person and give good advice over the long haul better than Social Media.
Michael Maughan
http://www.sessionsatstudiom.com
an online recording school

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Being genuine wins over salesmanship ever time.
Sharing actual information rather than advancing an agenda.

If you are doing this for the money: stop now. buy a Neve-worth of scratch tickets at the local convenience store, and you will have better odds of a return.

Really.

Really.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:10 am

Speaking of "efficiency," you can set up a Tumblr blog (probably can be done with others too) to push posts to twitter and facebook on a post-by-post basis. This can cut down on the amount of time you spend online, though of course you still to need to be active and engage people in each spot.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:37 am

Huge fan of Twitter here. I agree that the key to success with it is genuine participation. I've made some really great connections just by speaking what's on my mind--recording-related or otherwise. I think what's even more effective is by replying to what other people are saying.

FWIW, I think everyone involved in social networking should be using the Rocknelt browser. Seamless interaction of your social networking with yor browsing experience, really a big step up from the other options.
Alex C. McKenzie