good mix buss compressor for <$1k?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ricey
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ricey » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:59 am

mexicola wrote:i'd recommend AGAINST the chameleon 7720. Even though it's a stereo compressor, it has a summed mono sidechain circuit. Which means that you're compressing the stereo audio path based on a summed mono image. That's definitely not a good thing once you get past 3-4dB gain reduction.
does the SSL G384(and it's ilk) use a summed mono sidechain?

sir hills
gettin' sounds

Post by sir hills » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:17 am

The 1968 does not have a ratio adjust, it is a soft knee comp & reacts to the amount of gain reduction taking place. Basically, it depends on the settings & how hard you're pushing material through.

From the manual:

"The need for a ratio control as been removed as the compressor operates on the soft knee principle where the onset of compression is progressive."

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:42 am

I hate you guys,

I have been using my 1968 for Snare Top and Snare Bottom (via SPL TD) for awhile now; or on acoustic stereo mics.

You guys come in here and start making me think it?s in the wrong place, jeez!!! The Nerve!!!

;-)

Truth is, I tried it on the mix buss, but I really just don?t care for mixing with a comp on the 2 channel out.

Now if someone has a Neve 33609 lying around I might give it another run. ;-)
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:20 pm

I thought that was how most stereo compressors worked, unless there was a "amount of stereo linking" control, such as on the api 2500 stereo compressor. Am I wrong about this?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:53 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:I hate you guys,

I have been using my 1968 for Snare Top and Snare Bottom (via SPL TD) for awhile now; or on acoustic stereo mics.

You guys come in here and start making me think it?s in the wrong place, jeez!!! The Nerve!!!
man, put it on your room mics. fastest attack, release on 4, big switch in.

johnny1000
pluggin' in mics

Post by johnny1000 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:10 am

groover wrote:I thought that was how most stereo compressors worked, unless there was a "amount of stereo linking" control, such as on the api 2500 stereo compressor. Am I wrong about this?
No, you're not wrong. If you don't sum the sidechain on the 2 buss comp, then your stereo image can become unstable because a signal on one side or the other can pull stuff in the center over.

The variable linking control of the 2500 is intended for stereo sources where it's not as important to anchor the image (eg: piano, etc).

Dan Rosato
ass engineer

Post by Dan Rosato » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:10 am

If you're not shy about DIY, check out the G SSL Clone from Gyraf (http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm). Takes a day or two to build but will probably blow away most other in that price range. It's the same compressor that's in our Audient console and it sounds great on mixes.

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:44 am

Brilliant!! Is there a kit available, or did you have to source all your parts individually? I don't have a problem putting together a kit, but if I had to source all the individual parts myself and fabricate my own enclosure that would probably be too daunting (and time-consuming).

toilettunes
audio school

Post by toilettunes » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 am

black lion audio has a 33609 clone buss comp that i was looking at for that price point but im not sure how it compares

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:01 pm

mexicola wrote:i'd recommend AGAINST the chameleon 7720. Even though it's a stereo compressor, it has a summed mono sidechain circuit. Which means that you're compressing the stereo audio path based on a summed mono image. That's definitely not a good thing once you get past 3-4dB gain reduction.
As others have mentioned, a single sidechain circuit (being fed a L+R inputs summed) is par for the course. If you're using independent sidechains for L and R, the stereo image can wander quite a bit. Sometimes that's cool, but it's not what I would choose usually for a mix comp.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:03 pm

Dan Rosato wrote:If you're not shy about DIY, check out the G SSL Clone from Gyraf (http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm). Takes a day or two to build but will probably blow away most other in that price range. It's the same compressor that's in our Audient console and it sounds great on mixes.
Pricewise, it's going to be hard to beat the Chameleon 7720 going the DIY route. Especially if you can find a used 7720 for $400 or less.

I'm not saying the Gyraf is the exact same thing as the Chameleon, but my understanding is that they are pretty close.

Leigh

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:25 am

I may be jumping the gun a little as I do not normally like to shout about a piece of gear without giving it a very good run however. I bought a second hand Joe Meek SC2.2 recently and what I heard was very nice indeed. Now in mastering I am usually speaking of 1 - 2 dB GR max but it had a "sound" that is for sure.

I have currently sent it off for service to get it lined up for stereo bus work as it was not tracking L/R as close as I need it to. It won't be on every track going through here but it had something unique I have not heard in any other optical compressor. More when I get it back from service and give a good going over. Could be a nice unit for soften so upper mids in harsher mixes is my first thoughts.

cheers
SafeandSound Mastering

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:19 pm

I've been continuing to fool around with my PreSonus Blue Max as a stereo bus compressor, and I find that I don't hear much in the way of compression artifacts or signature compared to my non-processed mix, even at about 5-7dB compression. I guess that is a good thing.

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:10 am

I suppose it depends on if the compressor is adding what you do want.

In many instances you want the chosen compressor as a tone box to add body, sometiems some glue or sometimes literally as an effect (though this really is on specific productions I guess) Sometimes you want some "enveloping snap" added to the sound.
SafeandSound Mastering

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:30 am

Well I think it makes it sound "fuller" which I guess is equivalent to your term "body". It just doesn't seem as pronounced as I would expect based on 5-7 dB gain reduction.