Hard rock mix keeps drifting toward mono.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

maggot
ass engineer

Post by maggot » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:49 pm

I asked my bandmates for advice before I asked y'all. This is an important song to me because I've been writing 'fuck yous' for 30 years, and this is the only one to piss anybody off.

The main reason I left the vocals relatively dry is because I wanted to retain the feeling of being in a room with someone who is being a total jerk. It usually went over great live, with nothing but a rock trio, but like I said, the main problem with all of these mixes is that the performance isn't all that great. Unlike you guys a lot of the time, I can say that because I'm 95% performer, 5% mixer....

When I heard the suggestion to put a giant stereo echo on the verses, It occurred to me that no one would be thinking that if the song had been played about 20% faster and 20% better.

I'm actually quite happy with the current mix. I may decide to re-do it at some point if I feel inspired. It's now dynamic enough to be listened to all the way through. You guys have been very helpful in telling me what is or is not working.

goose42
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by goose42 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:05 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:maybe you should do what makes you happy and let them do their own mix if they want something different.
Important advice, I think. You've put a lot of work into this one. If you're happy with it, it's time to move on!

Arrangement-wise on this song, you and your band didn't leave yourselves a lot of room for movement, as was discussed at length on a recent thread. I think that's something I responded to on first listen, with the idea that I wanted to hear something moving around. That doesn't mean you need to spend hours trying to create some here, especially if you've got other irons in the fire.
Cheers,
Stephen "Goose" Trageser
bucketcitymobilesound.squarespace.com

maggot
ass engineer

Post by maggot » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:34 am

The thing is, the band is just a trio, so I could take any number of things out. I was astonished when I noticed how many guitar tracks I'd recorded. I think the breakdown works OK, but the verses are a little dense and I'm not getting enough impact from the guitar hook.

I'm gonna try a garage re-mix with a loud, rangy telecaster right up the middle and other guitars coming and going as needed on either side. Bring it back to 3-piece garage reality and go from there.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi,

I listened again to the original mix, and tried to listen to the revisions.

The revisions seem to have disappeared.

The original just really needs

MORE LEAD VOCAL.

I would leave the rest alone.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

maggot
ass engineer

Post by maggot » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks Nick. Here are the initial revisions. I don't know whether I like them better than the original (other than the louder vocals). I'll try bumping them up on the original too. The main differences are the drum sounds and the ending, but it's not really all that different. The revisions sound fuller, but I've always enjoyed the thinness of a lot of pre-digital era indie productions too.

http://soundcloud.com/feierman/basted-and-roasting-2

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:48 pm

maggot wrote:Thanks Nick. Here are the initial revisions. I don't know whether I like them better than the original (other than the louder vocals). I'll try bumping them up on the original too. The main differences are the drum sounds and the ending, but it's not really all that different. The revisions sound fuller, but I've always enjoyed the thinness of a lot of pre-digital era indie productions too.

http://soundcloud.com/feierman/basted-and-roasting-2
Mucho Bueno Sabor!!!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:00 am

You're never gonna get off drugs if you mix like that! 8~)

This thread is interesting, but I am not sure which soundclouded versions are which at this point. I was listening to what I thought was the most recent one, but that url basted-and-roasting-2 is the one you indicate 2 posts up as an earlier revision. At least one of the links isn't working. Are all the versions still up there?

maggot
ass engineer

Post by maggot » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Grooved, Basted & Roasting-2 is the revision. The first mix is on the very first post of this thread. Sorry about the confusion.