looking for old field recording recommendations

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dancinggods
audio school

looking for old field recording recommendations

Post by Dancinggods » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:13 pm

hello,

i have a sony D5 stereo tape recorder i use for field recording. I had an old wollensak microphone i got with a reel to reel that i used last year i went on a trip field recording ambient/environmental sounds. that microphone is now broken and i need to find a decent replacement. I am looking for something old, like 50s-70s... i need a decent high-mid/low-mid frequency response for good ambient pick up, but also need to be able to get a room sound for instruments and some voice recording.

i have a budget of $50, and would prefer to get a few mics to play with. i've been trying to do some research to see what microphones were good for this sort of thing in this time period, but haven't found anything substantial.

i have found a few neat looking pieces on ebay, mostly broadcast type cardioid mics. it's okay if the sound is a little dirty, i just want it to pick up a decent amount of sound around me... i want the mic to be as much of a part of the recording as the sound i am capturing...

any ideas?

thanks

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:44 pm

You could get a used EV 635a for that price. It's the grey omni dynamic used by every tv and radio reporter since the dawn of time (or the late 60's). It's a pretty decent mic all around.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:01 pm

i want the mic to be as much of a part of the recording as the sound i am capturing...
why?
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.